It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alex Jones Arrested In New York

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The permit is required as stated by one poster;

www.nyc.gov...

According to the article though:

The demonstrators had tried to obtain a "permit" for the protest but were refused by authorities. Officers later ticketed Jones for "using a sound device without a permit".

Some questions now surface. Did Jones apply himself or was the application assumption based on other protesters? If they applied why were they refused? It sounds like the NYC Office of File, Theatre & Broadcasting provides same day permits so what went wrong here. Sure Jones is an attention seeker but there are problems with this story.

brill

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XR500Final

So this is what is happening to professional journalism these days? Why don't we just call up all the networks and tell them we are turning off our tv's because there is no real news to watch?

...refering to them as "anarchists," "communists" and "one of the least attractive groups of protesters I've ever seen".
In another clip, Geraldo states, "I think these demonstrators are all into rest room gay sex".

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
First of all one or two sentences in my post were conjecture, the rest is 100% solid fact about the law and the fact that he had those filming people.

1) He had no ID. In some cases, this is enough to warrant an arrest if there are no other means of identifying the person.

2) All of the protestors could have been arrested because their protest was illegal and had no permit (before you say that such a law is facist, I invite you to look into how large groups of people gathering in the busiest parts of NYC can clog up sidewalks and streets, aka big transit problems).

3) The above two make the arrest legally warranted, and this part is conjecture. Knowing the material of Jones and the crowd he was with, there is strong circumstancial evidence that he probably made a bigger deal out of the initial police encounter than was at all needed, and lead to his arrest. We know what he preaches, so it is likely that he accused the police of singling him out and made a fuss about a police state, when in fact the officer's conduct was perfectly acceptable and warranted.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by lightworker12]

[edit on 9-9-2007 by lightworker12]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
IMHO Geraldo is an even bigger idiot who's sole motivation is self promotion.

If you are in the business of making a film you absolutely MUST acquire a permit, and this rule is not just for New York but can be found in most major cities and even some small towns. Tourists are generally exempt so long as they are not staging big productions. Alex Jones was well aware that a permit was required for his film crew.

There are several reasons why permitting is important. Film production often tends to draw a crowd and interferes with the normal flow of the city. Unobstructed sidewalks and streets are important to traffic flow and the right of citizens to go about their daily lives such as going to work, or shopping.

This is also the reason why permits are needed for any protest. It is not a matter of impinging on your right to free speech, it is about public safety and city functionality. Lets say for example that an anti Martian group wanted to stage a protest, and it just so happened that a large conference of Martian residents just so happened to be in the city at the time. Permitting would ensure that proper police protection would be present to prevent any violence and to make sure that the traffic flowed properly. I have often seen protests taking place on subjects that I disagree with, yet they were orderly and well policed to prevent any problems. It is the same reason why permits and regulations are in place around reproductive health clinics. Free speech is great, but when it infringes on others rights it needs to be regulated.

Alex Jones made the choice NOT to get the required permit even though he was fully aware of it's requirement and reasons. He made the choice to participate in an action that was unlawful. He must therefore be held responsible for his actions.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Well, I obviously need help on editing my posts, but my point is this ,as long as people continue to make excuses for this type of takeover by the authorities the closer we are to a fascist state and complete take over of our rights and freedoms. I may not know how to eloquently say what I mean but I do mean what I say. Lightworker, does this Feel right to you? Are you just taking a stance on your post or do you really feel that justice is best being served in this situation? Not based on what you think is right according to how you think Alex or the crowd behaved, but your gut instinct about the way this has gone down? It is wrong any way you see it.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lightworker12

Absolutely correct. Jones got exactly what he wanted which is, of course, more publicity. You have to wonder why anyone takes this guy seriously but then again, the "truthers," care only about their desperate quest to find evidence to support their baseless conclusions.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

How easy we forget that America is the land of the free . . . or at least use to be.

reply to post by niteboy82

Funny how this generation is accepting the police state and we see less and less freedom of speech been exercises without a permit, but I thing Alex is trying to show the American people how insignificant our civil liberties and constitutional rights has become.

reply to post by brill

Well isn't that the best way to manipulate the rights of Americans to protest, just denied them their permits.

I wonder if that falls on denying constitutional rights.

reply to post by Terapin

And to think that Geraldo is my husband's cousin on his mother site. He is pin head.!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 9-9-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Alex has now been released

[edit on 9-9-2007 by kyyuulle]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Alex Jones is not complex. He needs controversy to keep the money flowing into his organization and his own pocket. It is his job basically. Everything he does is about power and money. Alex would have been really angry had he not been arrested.

What is most amazing about Jones is how many people allow him to define their lives based on his exaggerations and lies. It's pretty sad actually. He must be really charismatic and skilled at manipulating people. He reminds me of another Jones who liked to pass around glasses of punch
If he does start up a camp in the woods somewhere; just say no to the punch!

The number of people who believe in Jones is so tiny I would have been surprised if Geraldo would have acted any differently. You have to have an audience to stay on the air. Geraldo attracts millions of viewers. Jones attracts a few anarchists and angry young people between keg parties.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
but Geraldo is a proven (...) ..

---------------------------
deleted profanity

www.abovetopsecret.com...
1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

also, please read ABOUT ATS: Warnings for one-line or short responses

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/9/07 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Why do so many of you continue to believe that there is some law that says that we have to carry and present ID? There is NO SUCH LAW!! The Supreme Court has ruled that if a person is ' reasonably ' suspicious to a cop for some DEFINED reason, then the cop may ask for IDENTITY, NOT identification. Get the difference?

No one has to carry ID. All you have to do is idenify yourself and if the cop doubts you are being honest, tough. Let him PROVE that you are providing false information, or release you. Citizens have NO responsibility to make sure that some cop is satisfied with our answers. That is NOT what the LAW says. If the cop doesn't like the fact that you are giving him a verbal reply, then let him write his Congressman and suggest a new law that demands that we carry ID and present it to any cop at any time, like the Nazi thugs want .

But for now, there is NO law that says we must do so. NONE. AND, you CANNOT be legitimately charged for ' obstructing an officer' or some other nonsense. It is a false charge and NOT appropriate. NO judge will convict someone because they did not choose to give paper ID. No law covers that. Cops MUST be satisfied legally with a VERBAL identity by a citizen. They may not like it, but so what? Are we here to make cops happy? I think not!!

Cops cannot demand some specific form of ID. If that were true, then each and every cop could insist on a different form before becoming satisfied, correct? One would accept a drivers license, and another would take a library card, a real hard ass would request a Passport and throw you in jail for not having one if he decided to, right?

See where it goes when cops are allowed to determine what is acceptable? The COURTS have already spoken and decided that if you give VERBAL identification that is enough. Cops cannot find a law, anywhere in the USA, that insists on written ID or some other form of paper. That is Nazi era stuff, " Papers Please!! ". Then the PLEASE stops and the rest of the police state apparatus begins.

No, no ID is required and NO LAW saying so can be found anywhere in this nation. You ARE required to IDENTIFY yourself to an officer IF he has ' reasonable grounds ' to believe that you deserve further scrutiny for some ' articulable ' reason. Cops cannot legally just walk up to a citizen and demand identity just for the heck of it. Alex was not charged with anything to do with ID. He will walk from this nonsense and we all know it.

The cops got to exercise their brute minds and remove a critic of the killers in charge; Geraldo Rivera is a total sell out, a wimp, a washed up and subdued lap dog for Ruperts empire. He sold out for dollars. Murdoch wanted him on his side because Geraldo used to be able to dig up the real dirt; but when the chips are down, he folds and uses totallyu UN professional language and shows he is far from being a real man and human being by disrespecting the entire truth movement due to a small demonstration.

To make gay jokes and bathroom jokes at a time like that shows the DESPERATION that the mainstream media is in to keep the truth down. It is a sickening example of a totally sold out press and a gulible and apathetic public too weak and lazy to research and read.

Shame on Geraldo and Fox, as always, and shame on the cops for another phony charge meant to strip 1st amendment rights away. This is a sick nation led by sick people and we are watching this sickness destroy us all. And Geraldo makes potty jokes. Too much.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marge, can I and a bunch of friends, say about 50, stage a protest on the high price of Kippers, in front of your house. We would be chanting slogans, and marching back and fourth for a few days. Holding signs and publicly eating sardines in protest.  Since you think free speech means say whatever you want, when ever you want, where ever you want, then I guess you wouldn't mind at all.

My guess is that their permit was not granted because they filed too late, had no organised group nor plans, and simply didn't read the form instructions. NYC often grants permits on all sorts of silly subjects. It isn't about the denial of free speech. It is about making sure that a group of protesters do not interfere with other citizens rights along the way.

We will start our protest outside your house around 2 AM if that is OK with you, as that is the best time for Kipper Protesting according to our organizations handbook. We may even fill the street with dumped high priced kippers like a mass die off. That would smell heavenly.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

I welcome freedom of speech in any form as granted by our constitution, that means even protest in front of my property as long as is in the city site of it.

I will even call the news media for you so your voices will be heard the better.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:58 PM
link   
so people in disagreement over the truth about 9/11 cannot assemble, but they let a group of people like the Phelps family congregate and preach hatred during the funerals of the students at Virginia Tech?

what a country.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kyyuulle

Sometimes freedom of speech is in the eye of the beholder.
under Government scrutiny occurs.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
What you all fail to realize is that the constitution states that people have the right to PEACEFULLY assemble. When was the last time you saw a peaceful 9-11 truth demostration? Come on we've all seen the videos of these so called "protests" by these truth clowns. All they do is go up to innocent people minding their own business on the street, and scream in their face how "9-11 was an inside job".

This "protest" was no different. They were on a bullhorn freaking screaming this nonsense out. That's NOT peacefully assembling. That's disturbing the peace for one, and for 2 it's just freaking rude. This is not part of some massive coverup or conspirocy..the way he was going about "protesting" was wrong.

HE had no right to scream in peoples face, as well as get the entire croud chanting the 9-11 rehtoric. That's not peacully assembling and some people would consider that the begining stages of starting a riot.

Aleks Jones deserved what he got, next time he shouldn't be so stupid as to openly break the law by not adhering to the PEACEFUL part, of peacefully assemble.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If it was just Alex Jones and his "camera friend" I surmise that Mr. Jones would have been the one actually being video taped. So if that is the case why would he need a permit? The cameraman would be responsible for that right? So why arrest Alex Jones at all? And for what?

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ModisOperandi

Alex Jones is technically committing treason and sedition by giving aid and comfort to the enemies of the United States (by attempting to deflect the blame from Al Qaeda to Bush and the CIA and by making baseless claims about "police state fascist stormtroopers" everytime he merely sees a cop) ... hes lucky he only got arrested for not having a permit and his ID.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightworker12
It's actually very illegal to film anywhere in NYC without a permit. I've had trouble with it before. I didn't get arrested probably because I didn't yell and fuss about a police state and NWO like Jones did.

what is it new?

The group were told that they didn't have a permit to protest. A permit is government permission to do something that would otherwise be illegal - meaning the right to peaceably assemble and free speech as defined in the Constitution have been officially outlawed.
we definitely live in a police state

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The Georgian Minister bans demonstrations and gatherings, hummm, is this the direction you would really like to see us move?
www.hri.org...

Or law student imprisoned for peaceful demonstration in Myanmar
www.hri.org...

Once suppression of rights has been successful, it is then possible to take control to the next level.

I feel sick from all of the pages I opened and read from just a single Google page while typing in the query "Students peaceful demonstration..." page after page of information about how the world banks and the government corruption strives to suppress those that speak out for the rights of the people in their countries, our country. If this is allowed to continue then the American dream will surely die. And it always starts with the ignorant, lazy and fearful to opinionated to disagree, blinders too tight to see, open your eyes people before what has happened to all the other countries happens to us...We should be fighting for Alex's and any other freedom fighters rights to say what they want and to assemble, not put them down for it and make light of this serious red flag! You don't have to agree with him or anyone for that matter, but it does not change the reality of the fact, we are losing our privilege to have an individual opinion and to voice that opinion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join