It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Reasons why America is Going to Hell in a Handbasket.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
My friend and I have been trying to get this message across for a long time now. It just seems as if no one cares to listen to the truth. They would rather live in their "fantasy land" of a world, were they believe nothing bad ever happens.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyBlonde

/shakes head ....

What part of "not talking about organized religion" didn't you get?

Your reply is based apon "godly' institutions" and "all monotheistic churches" as you put it.

I'm talking about "Godly principles" not places of worship and organizations.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee

9. Chastising and honestly disciplining your kids is now considered an archaic approach. These days most anyone under 18 is treated as a precious child, regardless of what a piece of crap they may be. Adults however are ridiculed and judged severely with a zero-tolerance policy for mistakes.

This should actually be higher in the list. I watch your American TV an I'm appalled by how rude and inconsiderate some kids can be to their parents. If your TV is a reflection of your society, then your society is in trouble indeed. In Asia if a kid was that obnoxious, they'd get a backhand for sure.

What happened to calling parents "Mom and Dad"?

Remember, your children are your future. If you don't discipline them while they're still young, in the future that obnoxious kid is going to become an obnoxious adult.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
As sad as it is, most kids really are that bad towards their parents. I see it all the time in public. I would guess that it is even worse at home. But America has definitely been going downhill for a while now.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Remember the meek shall inherit the Earth.

I still have hope for this old place called Earth.

Remember it is up to the people to make change. The first change needs to be leaders and governments.

We shall all see by how the next Election comes off.

The word does need to be spread and the net is the answer.

The sad part is they have prepared for this rebellion and the people have not.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by fweshcawfee
10. Free speech and individualism are shunned now by most of society. No one is remotely interested in hearing anyone else's views, everyone just put on their blinders and fall in line to graze with all the other mindless sheep.

Didn't you just exercise your right to free speech and individualism by your post of your opinions.

I'm interested in hearing your views!

I don't wear blinders, don't graze and feel free to express my views and accept that not everyone sees the world the same way I do. Try it!!

Your logic on number 10 is as faulty as it is in 1 thru 9.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Addendum to "Political Corruption".

This two party system crap we have going in this country is for the freakin birds. Anyone that honestly believes there is a difference between a republican and a democrat needs their head examined. (Not to mention a visit from Jasn's blockhead thumping brigade.) As said by Lewis Black the one difference is, "The republican party is a party of bad ideas, and the democratic party is a party of no ideas." The whole ideology of bipartisan politics is one that needs to meet it's end. Until the day a third party
candidate truly stands a chance of election in this country, I will consider our whole election system completely corrupt. The day a third party candidate does get a fighting chance, then my opinion will shift to just majorly corrupt.

Again you are correct. Here is a little reading on the topic for others viewing this thread.

www.texasteaparty.org...

I tried to get ATS talking about this on a thread called: "What Do We Really Want To Hear From A Candidate. As usual, no takers. Apathy.

I think it is about time you graduated from ATS and started your own blog or website. You have the passion, now you just need the organization. Because you are right, you can't go around door-to-door thumping people with newspapers. You have to beat them into consciousness with the truth.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Great post, but I think your number 5 should be number 1 or 2. It is rediculous at this point, you cant disagree with anyone doing anything. I dont agree with letting ANYONE kill babies, even if it is in their body. If you arent responsible enough to keep from getting pregnant you SURE AS HELL are not responsible enough to decide if something lives or dies. Yes there are a few circumstances withstanding such as rape or incest but damn.

Another great example, I viewed a video of some dumb ass mother in a van RACING a train trying to beat it, she got hit by not one but TWO trains. Of course she lived and two of her children DIED. The title of the story called her a [snip] "... people were crying, "you shouldn't call her a [snip]". WHY THE HELL NOT? She raced a train, lost and two children DIED. Thats my definition of [snip] . But hell no we cant disagree with anyone acting in a ridiculous manner.

Whats that? You kicked a woman off of a plane for basically wearing no clothes.. yes when she sat down you could see her panties but we should all just not care. I realize dressing like a whore is common place now days but I dont want my kids staring at that stupid #. GET A GRIP AMERICA.

Rant off..

[edit on 9-9-2007 by shug7272]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
[
Let's see if I can sum up that post?...Ignorance is bliss, so don't worry, be happy!

So, let's deny a little ignorance and pull our heads out of the sand and objectively analyze our situation. Forewarned is forearmed. (okay, that's the last cliche of the post.
)

No, that is not my point.

Look at the stock market, when you look at it on a daily bases it is all doom and gloom, but when you look at it as a long term investor it does super. If I was putting all my investments into it for just a week at a time I would spend my days fretting over every little bump it makes, but since my investments are very long term I look more for what will be a good growth stock years from now with no care to what the market does on a daily, monthly, and sometimes even a yearly bases.

A lot of you guys are like a person who watches the stock market ticker and you flinch every time it makes a move either good or bad, and guys like me who look at it on the long term get labeled with “living in ignorance” or “apathy”. And so my point in my first post was we need to back off the microscope a few magnifications and see things with less daily detail, but a more coarse wider view of the long term.

I do agree with the OP that his top 5 are issues, but I do not see them all as all long term issues, or some that maybe long term I think there are worst problems going on in America.

5. Political Correctness –
Yes this is a pain, and I hate the ACLU for 90% of their cases are just to extort money from hapless Americans who are forced to pay or be labeled. Do I see this as a long term problem…no

4. Political Corruption –
I honestly feel that most people in Washington are not any better or worst in the last 50 years, before that the corruption was a hell of a lot worst and we lived through it. At a personal level my eight years under Bush have been better than my eight years under Clinton. Bush will come and go and America will keep moving forward. Now if a person thinks we will all be in concentration camps by 2012 then that is their option not mine, but that doesn’t make them all knowing and me ignorant, and so I give this one a moot point in value.

3. Perpetual War for Profit –
Since I spent a year over there I have a different view point than most. What I see as perpetuating the war are the Iraqi people unable to come together and get it done. They would rather kill each other than to be free. The Kurds in the north is a success story but the rest of the country is still in ruins. Money motivates a lot of people (like the faceless billionaires in the oil companies) but if you think money is what motivates politicians then you are showing your ignorance for power is their motivation. I can tell you the last thing the Republican Party wanted to see happen is the lack of WMDs and still being in Iraq. The power they have lost over it has truly hurt them for a good time to come. IF we went into Iraq and the people wanted change with open arms and we got out years ago seeing them a free stable society the republicans would own all of Washington for another decade or more. Every year we stay there that party just cringes at the thought. And so war for profit is a much lower scale issue to me.

2. The Federal Reserve System –
I disagree with “Our economy is rapidly falling apart” and see this related to what the first part of my post was about, but I think it needs fixing and this could be a top 5 but I’m not smart enough to know how to fix it.

1. Apathy - The American public
I spoke of this in the first part of my post.

Here are two issues I see

1. Traditional Family life is gone. 70% of all black children are born out of wedlock as example. A large number of children in America are growing up in an environment where their parents have basically zero involvement in their lives. They rely on over crowed schools to do it all. Since many of these kids really have no family they look to gangs and other negative environments to fill the family role that they so dearly desire.

2. Generation to generation welfare. This is a huge problem and Katrina is a great example of it. When a hurricane pretty much wiped homestead FL off the map there was aid and all, but that area rebuilt rather quickly because the people there actually had jobs and made sure they had the proper insurance. In New Orleans we saw what happens when a massive amount of the population just lives month to month from a welfare check.

[edit on 9-9-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I can tell you why people are apathetic. It's because they've been pumped full of chemicals and drugs for the last hundred years. And the poisoning of the population is another reason that America is going to hell in a handbasket.

They tricked us decades ago into thinking that fluoride in the water was healthy for our teeth. It was a lie. Now they add dangerous chemicals into 90% of the food and products we buy at the supermarket.

When you're getting chemicals in your breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, water, beverages, soaps, lotions, toothpaste, deodorant, makeup, laundry detergent, and the rest of your household cleaners, it's pretty much a guarantee that you're going to experience high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer, autism, alzheimers, depression (or some other illness) in your lifetime. AND there is a high chance you will be denied medical coverage (even if you have insurance) and the government will force you into bankruptcy before they let you die from all the prescription drugs (because suicide is illegal).

If you don' believe it, here are some very good sources:

The Hundred Year Lie describes how the increase in illness and disease directly correlates to the increase in chemicals put into our food supply that started over a hundred years ago:
www.hundredyearlie.com...

The Cosmetics Database lists thousands of products we use everyday and rates the safety of each one:
www.cosmeticsdatabase.com...

NewsTarget has hundreds of articles and interviews that prove the corruption of the government and shows how the FDA, medical, food and pharmaceutical industries force dangerous chemicals on us and try to make us think they are perfectly safe:
www.newstarget.com...

The only way to escape certain death from our own government is to NOT eat their food and NOT use their products. Go organic if you want to live.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
I can tell you why people are apathetic. It's because they've been pumped full of chemicals and drugs for the last hundred years. And the poisoning of the population is another reason that America is going to hell in a handbasket.

You are right if Apathy lies anywhere it is here. Processed foods are killing America. If people really understood how bad that little spongy chicken flavor dino shaped thingy is for their kids they would freak, but no we need to feed them that and not just cook them a chicken breast. Watch Super Size Me and you will understand were a lot of our behavioral problems with kids come from.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The #1 issue as I see it is illegal immigration and its destruction of the middle class and destroyer of American culture and values. Political correctness takes a very close 2nd place. I am ~ this close to rioting and revolting over this issue here in the Northern Virginia area and many millions of Americans feel just like me. They better act soon or we are headed for a civil war. II has eclipsed the war as the #1 issue on Americans' minds, regardless of what the media and the corporate elite would force-feed you on a daily basis. Walk the streets and talk to the people and they will tell you II is their #1 concern.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by shug7272
I dont agree with letting ANYONE kill babies, even if it is in their body. If you arent responsible enough to keep from getting pregnant you SURE AS HELL are not responsible enough to decide if something lives or dies.

That’s easy saying from a men’s point of view.
Where is the responsibility of the men who makes her pregnant?
Has he no responsibilities?

Another great example, I viewed a video of some dumb ass mother in a van RACING a train trying to beat it, she got hit by not one but TWO trains. Of course she lived and two of her children DIED. The title of the story called her a "stupid bitch"... people were crying, "you shouldn't call her a stupid bitch". WHY THE HELL NOT? She raced a train, lost and two children DIED. Thats my definition of STUPID BITCH. But hell no we cant disagree with anyone acting in a ridiculous manner.

First, I suppose you don’t absolutely not no the reason for her racing,
Second, do you have any idea what it must be for a woman to lose their children, whatever the reason?

Whats that? You kicked a woman off of a plane for basically wearing no clothes.. yes when she sat down you could see her panties but we should all just not care. I realize dressing like a whore is common place now days but I dont want my kids staring at that stupid #. GET A GRIP AMERICA.

Rant off..

[edit on 9-9-2007 by shug7272]

I wander, what makes you say such evil things only about woman?

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I did a really nice summation of what how your foreclosure business is doing, it on todays news down at www.anomalicresearch.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by annestacey

You are right if Apathy lies anywhere it is here. Processed foods are killing America. If people really understood how bad that little spongy chicken flavor dino shaped thingy is for their kids they would freak, but no we need to feed them that and not just cook them a chicken breast. Watch Super Size Me and you will understand were a lot of our behavioral problems with kids come from.

And let me say that for me personally, apathy truly set in when I went on antidepressant medication. That stuff is evil. The meds completely changed my personality. I used to be a person who always got involved in everything and wanting to change the world and the meds turned me into a person who just needed to survive daily life and I stopped caring about anything else. It turned me into a zombie.

Once I found out that it was really the chemicals in the food that causes depression, I got off the meds (after 6 years on them) and cured my depression simply by switching to organic food instead of processed food. That little experiment proved to me without a doubt that our government is purposely poisoning the population.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
5 reasons america and the world are getting better every day:

1. Despite the media zooming in on the 5% of the world that is at war, 95% of the world remain at peace and always have.

2. In the last 100 years the planet has experienced an overall increase in intelligence and wealth like it hadnt 1000 years before that.

3. At least half of all americans are aware that their government and media may not be honest. Overall planetary awareness is increasing by the day. The emergence of the internet supports this. ATS itself is EVIDENCE of a higher awareness among the populace.

4. New strategies to handle third world issues are underway.

5. The doomsayers prophecies never come true.

Having said that there are only a few minor issues left to clean up...and ALL of these issues are based on the spirit of fear...the spirit of fear as promoted by religious and political fanatics and paranoids.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Escrotumus
The #1 issue as I see it is illegal immigration and its destruction of the middle class and destroyer of American culture and values.... They better act soon or we are headed for a civil war.

You're right. Immigration should definitely be on the list. A really excellent thread regarding that topic (but you might get a little hot over some of the post exhanges):

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It is not just America though. I live in the UK and i was FURIOUS last week when a judge announced it would be a good idea to have a national database of everyone's DNA whether you've committed a crime or not. Oh and tourists comming into the UK will have to give a sample too. NOOOOOO Thank You. I will fight that. Not gonna have MY human rights taken away. Oh yes on the subjecto of Huamn Rights. There was a particularly nasty murder here oh a year or so ago. A youth stabbed a headteacher called Philip Lawerence. Not sure if that got any publicity ovet there in the States? Anyhow it turned out the Youth was an Italian, One would have thought he would be deported once he had finished his prison sentence back to Italy. But nope, it was deemed HIS human rights would be breached if he was to be deported. Errrr WTF? What abouts the life he took away denying Philip Lawrence HIS human right to live? What about the feelings of his wife?

I'm sorry but enough is enough. Just say NO to ID Cards, NO to DNA databases and NO to futher erosion of democractic freedom full stop.
A battle is looming folks between those wanting to keep democracy and those who want to enslave us. It's time to stand up an be counted. When the time comes ie asked for a DNA sample, i will refuse. When asked to produce an ID card i will burn it up. Ghandi burnt his. The time to be submissive is over. It is now time to take peaceful but proactive action like the examples i gave. United We Stand. Divided We Fall. All For One And One For All. The Needs Of The Many Outweight The Needs Of The Few Or The One.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
5 reasons America and the world are getting better every day:

1. Despite the media zooming in on the 5% of the world that is at war, 95% of the world remain at peace and always have.

2. In the last 100 years the planet has experienced an overall increase in wealth like it hadn’t 1000 years before that.

I really don’t know how I can fit what you seeing here with the remarks below?

Source: www.bread.org...

Hunger Facts: International
• 854 million people across the world are hungry, up from 852 million a year ago. 3
• Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes--one child every five seconds. 12
Facts and Figures on Population
• Today our world houses 6.55 billion people. 2
• The United States is a part of the developed or industrialized world, which consists of about 57 countries with a combined population of about 1 billion, less than one sixth of the world’s population. 4
• In contrast, approximately 5.1 billion people live in the developing world. This world is made up of about 125 low and middle-income countries in which people generally have a lower standard of living with access to fewer goods and services than people in high-income countries. 4
• The remaining 0.4 billion live in countries in transition, which include the Baltic states, eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States. 4

Facts and Figures on Hunger and Poverty
• In 2004, almost 1 billion people lived below the international poverty line, earning less than $1 per day. 9
• Among this group of poor people, many have problems obtaining adequate, nutritious food for themselves and their families. As a result, 820 million people in the developing world are undernourished. They consume less than the minimum amount of calories essential for sound health and growth. 3
• Undernourishment negatively affects people’s health, productivity, sense of hope and overall well-being. A lack of food can stunt growth, slow thinking, sap energy, hinder fetal development and contribute to mental retardation. 1
• Economically, the constant securing of food consumes valuable time and energy of poor people, allowing less time for work and earning income. 1
• Socially, the lack of food erodes relationships and feeds shame so that those most in need of support are often least able to call on it. 1

3. At least half of all Americans are aware that their government and media may not be honest.

Isn’t that not a terrible conclusion?

4. New strategies to handle third world issues are underway.

I hope for once, they really are world improvement issues.

5. The doomsayers prophecies never come true.

I hope they never will.

Having said that there are only a few minor issues left to clean up.

I am really amazed by what you are saying here.

posted on Sep, 9 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am sorry that so many are brainwashed by the media to believe all this crap. I have been to some of the countries mentioned in the article personally, and never did I personally witness anyone starving. In fact many of these people love to eat and eat plenty. even in the slums of india people small a lot. of course I understand that some are starving, but its not what the media makes it to be. Go travelling rather than getting second hand "information" from the media.

Go travelling all around the world and you will see that 99% of all people have been brainwashed into thinking the rest of the world is in a terrible condition.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join