It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does reading news from Aljazeera put me at risk?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
We all know our president lies and is up to all kinds of no-good. And our media is skewed.
So, I thought I would see what Other countries major news outlets have to say.
I did'nt dig deep, just headlines. I found that Luciano Pavarotti died and I told my 'ol lady. She asked me where i found that info. I told her I found it on Aljazeera. She weirdly and almost nervously asked why I was at that site.
I hate typing so I'm gonna bottom line it.........
Does the NSA and homeland security, or as she calls them(SIR, as in yes sir what ever you say sir) do they have my number?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
i wouldnt be at all surprised if youve been "flagged" for checkin out the "terrorist friendly"news network but i wouldnt worry to much.maybe they will keep an eye on your web activity for a lil while and if they see nothing to concern them they will stop.not saying that what i say is fact but like i said i wouldnt at all be surprised.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   
To be blunt....yes. The powers that be "have your number" when you visit sites like Al Jazeera.

Wait, let me rephrase my opening statement. If the "powers that be" had any reason to track visitors to the Al Jazeera site (which they most certainly might have), then your IP (and ultimately, your identity) is probably available to some government security agencies.

The real question that you have to ask yourself is whether "the powers that be" really have any reason to track "you" down? Remember, a site like Al Jazeera gets quite a few hits every day. Most of those visitors are just people who are interested in simply visiting a site that they often hear referred to on CNN and the other news outlets. Considering that the government would have to "check out" thousands and thousands of visitors to Al Jazeera, the task would be daunting if not outright impossible.

Personally, I'd rest easy. I'd visit Al Jazeera and pretty well any site without too much paranoia. If I did worry about anything, I'd worry more about picking up some nasty virus or trojan.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
thanx for the replies FFLow and BT. I just saw a program on my local cable access channel 23 i think it was. A fellow by the name Alex Jones?.....I may be way off. However it was called "A dictatorship" i think. ( i have swiss cheese for brains and the holes are often full of beer, I apologize)...He spoke of the homeland security act I and II...man.......chewing a candy bar "aggressively " can get u busted.........and breaking any "law" can be viewed as an act of terrorism...........Just trying to keep my paranoia in check.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
As unbelievable as it sounds, who knows, they may very well be doing that. Keep watching though, from what I hear its more credible than most of the US networks put together

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If ANYTHING one does on the Internet puts one at risk, I would be in the subbasement of Guantanamo by now.

But I'm not.

OK, let me clarify that. I've never called for terrorist attacks but I've been to terrorist, fascist, antiamerican websites, etc. on numerous occasions. Never a problem whatsoever from any of the authorities.

P.S.

I'm an American.

[edit on 7-9-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by creepy81

I would think our government would be disappointed if you didn't check out their propoganda arm. They go to a lot of work to create a believable enemy image for us, if you didn't go check it out it might appear that your not buying in to their enemy image.

note to self get at least one or two Aljazeera page loads on my browser a month from now on.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I've been to terrorist, fascist, antiamerican websites, etc. on numerous occasions. Never a problem whatsoever from any of the authorities.

Me too. I've been indiscriminately visiting "improper" sites like the above for years. The only site that scared me was a US government defense-related site (link supplied by an ATS member actually) that gave me the definite impression I wasn't welcome. I'm pretty sure I'm on someone's list for just that one alone.

But like Tyrant pointed out, there are too many people to check out individually unless there's some other red flag about the person. And they don't know if the visitor to a site is a 10-year-old school girl, or someone borrowing your computer, or what. Very problematic for them to check people that way.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Creepy, apply for some government jobs and see what they ask you if they grant an interview. Observe if the interview goes down in a room with one way windows/mirrors and perhaps a video feed up in the corner of the room. Be careful if the interviewer slides a pack of Lucky's over to you and upon refusing one, they leave the pack in front of you. Also, if they offer you a beverage, refuse it, because ya never know whats in it and you could wake up on a park bench in skid row in-planted with an rfid chip behind the ear after spending a week or two within MK ultra indoctrination.

Remember, you are reading material from a sworn enemy of the United States. There is a machine that logged your visit and browser activity. That machine could be carnivore or the late echelon project monitoring you from now on. You now are in a database with a record showing your visit to Aljazeera. Take notice of browser slow downs and telephone calls with beeps or clicking in them. If you have cable with tivo, be very careful because they have the technology to turn tivo on and listen to your private conversations. They have you. Big brother is listening/watching.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Remember freedom, living in the land of the free, now we have to worry about the little innocent things we do, like visit a website. We have to think about what we write in our email because someone might be reading it.

We have to think about the fact that someone might be listening to our phone conversations and we have to wonder if we have been flagged and maybe being investigated. we never know if our innocent activity like stating an opinion about the current administration has us on a no fly list. Remember freedom?

Now I know someone will point out they don't mind any of this because their not doing anything wrong, and the investigators are probably bored to tears; well I mind and I am not doing anything wrong either. I shut the door when I go to the restroom, I'm not doing anything wrong I just like my privacy.

Aw freedom, you know that word every politician out there uses it when they talk about what the soldiers yesterday and today died for, how did it slip away?

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Just the fact that you have to think about if the government will like it or not, and other people NOT finding that question ridiculous, shows how much America has changed.

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The internet age has brought the practice of "keeping files" on someone to a whole new level...
I am sure that a "dossier" has been created on me and anyone else who uses the internet to research certain topics...

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
To the PO:

the answer is: "it depends".

Did you make the database of possible suspects? You bet you did.
Will it mean anything? Likely not, but it may.

I remember a story on CNN how a college student got a visit
from very serious FBI dudes after he checked out a book from
his college's library
that had to do with islam and jihad. I might
be wrong on detail, but pretty sure I got the main sequence of
events right.

I doubt you will get in trouble unless a significant event happens.
But if it does, it might.

I can't believe I just wrote this. We live in America for gossake and
now we have to discuss that?

top topics

join