It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What exactly is Disney Teaching our Children?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
FIRST OF ALL

LION KING is still to this day considered and voted number best movie in America under Forrest Gump.

And the rumor about the "SEX" message is completely false.
Its SFX which was the special effect team that worked on the movie.

The whole Little Mermaid is completely a HOAX. Anyone notice that people started realizing the cover after ten years it came out. BECAUSE ITS FAKE.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Disney animated films promotes a lot of ideologies some of which are about gender and racial stereotyping and how this justifies inequalities in the real world.

Both Peter Pan and Pocahontas distorts the native american's culture. And ultimately the story of Pocahontas promotes the idea of colonialism by using feminism to justify its cause: Pocahontas as being trapped in a patriarchal order and john Smith as the symbol for freedom that Pocahontas' society lacks. Furthermore, anthropomorphism of nature and animals are used to endorse colonialism: meetings between Smith and Pocahontas (Coloniser and the Colonised) were encouraged by spirits of nature and natural landscapes. Saying that it is natural for colonialism to happen and also the benevolence and peace of it which is far from the truth. Also, Meeko and Percy's relationship reflects amity between coliner and colinised and again advocates colonialism as part of nature's course.

I consider this the epitome of racism as all the suffering and genocide of the Native Americans have clearly been ignored in favour of a romantic plot line. If you don't want to show kids such violence then don't tell them stories about colonialism because they won't understand the entirety of it. Kids will retain such misconceptions of colonialism unless they are educated properly about it or seek information in their later years.

The other thing about Disney is the gender inequality it promotes. There are countless films which I will not go into detail... Aladdin, Mulan, Hercules, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White

Also, Disney places great emphasis on being the female and male 'norm' that is accepted (at least by Disney) - courageous but within the boundaries of society, striving for personal success, and most importantly you have to be beautiful and have a great body.

This is evident in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. For once, the hero does not get it all which is contrary to many Disney films... Although Quasimodo demonstrated admirable courage, strength and saves the damsel, he doesn't get the girl physically or emotionally. Instead Esmeralda is given to Captain Phoebus because he embodies all qualities: brave, strong AND handsome - the very quality that Quasi lacked.

Disney emphasises social norms with regards to appearances of girls and boys through the reward of status and love for the characters when they comply with certain ideals that are set out by Disney.

These are some of the ideologies which I have learnt in my course of studying media and mass communications in my university. Not all of these ideas are mine, apologies for not attributing them to appropriate academic sources.

A child's mind is fragile and susceptible to many things. One could say that a child does not have such complexities as to realise these things but on some level such information is infecting their young minds in many different ways and in ways which we may or may not understand. Thus, we should be aware and be careful of young generations and their environments. These cartoons, which Disney wants us to view as "harmless" and simply "entertaining", is far from being "harmless as they say". In the end, Disney is a capitalist company bent on reaping profits and does whatever tp serve itself.

“When you take on a Disney animated feature, you know you're going to be affecting entire generations of human minds.”: Disney screenwriter Linda Woolverton.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
For the record can I totally have tell you guys something. If we're discussing cartoons and stuff.

I swear, I'm not making this up. Since everybodies mentioning other stuff. Rankin/Bass, no joke. "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" it's either my imagination or...

The scene where Vincent Price's character IronTail. Is standing on the parapet. Overlooking all of April Valley's citizens. I shown it to everyone I could. At point when IronTail's singing. He swings his left arm up. Like the nazi salute.

I hope I'm not going crazy.

:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I can't help but always be amused when I see a conspiracy thread about Disney, of all things.

First off, with my personal experience, I grew up on the movies so many people claim such outrageous things on. My parents constantly insist that my first word was "Disney" (much to my distaste when I get made fun of for it). I loved the stories and art style, and ended up with me reading many of the original tales that inspired the movies.
One thing that people always seem to forget, is that Disney is ... I don't want to say thieves, but not too many of their films are based on their OWN work. If anything, they make edits in attempts to make it more child friendly so whackjobs don't throw a fit over seeing someone get shoved in an oven.

Hercules, I've always found as a pretty interesting example. I always hated and loathed the movie as a child. Not because of manly man Herc or the perfect figure Meg, but because it wandered so far away from the original legends I had constantly read.
More or less, the fact of Hera being a loving mother to him... but I'm sure if she wasn't, it'd give people who insisted on Disney hating mothers more ammo.
But hey.

If Disney is teaching your children, then YOU aren't and it's YOUR fault. I grew up on Disney, as is did many of my friends, but our parents were there to be our parents - not let a bunch of movies tell us how to live our lives.
Personally, I never really cared much for the "princess" movies (loved the crazy fur-obsessed bat chasing all those puppies for a coat), but yet again, most of those are based on stories written by someone else. All Disney did was make them a bit more family friendly.
Most of the questionable things pointed out are done so by people who have too much free time and want to hear it. Do you honestly think a child is going to notice most of that crap? I can point at this thing and tell you that what you're seeing is 9 dolphins. Seriously, nine are there.

And Tarzan's parents weren't mauled to death by a tiger (as two people have mentioned). Sabor was a leopard/jaguar/spotty cat. x3

Since this is the conspiracy against Disney thread though; I'll just toss out this one thing. Ever notice how loads the villains have beards, and the main good guy never really does? o:

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Hmmmmm....watch this then..
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I love and hate Disney/Dreamworks animations. When I was younger, it was always a dream of mine to work for Disney. Now that I am older it sickens me when I watch their movies because I can see they are chalk full of occult symbols. Of course the children don't notice and neither do most parents. If you grow up watching disney unaware of their symbolisms, you take in a little leaven at a time and become exactly what they want you to be.

The earlier ones seemed focused on training audiences male or female to chase rainbow dreams of meeting the perfect prince charming, having fairytale weddings and perfect lives.

These are symbolisms I've noticed in some of the more recent Disney/Dreamworks movies. I noticed their agenda has changed somewhat for this generation. Their script is often double speak.
Woe to the generation who take evil for good and good for evil.

Cars - the main character/idol Lightning Mcqueen (lightning symbolic for Satan, satanic bloodline MacDonald, queen of england) the number 95 (unicode for Aum) route 66 (mark of beast 666) morales, lightning was the best customer the town had ever seen, line that stood out to me was, 'thank the manufacturer!', Thunder -nickname given to chick hicks- wins the race but is portrayed as a loser in the social sense. (thunder is symbolic as the voice of God in the bible)

Bolt - mark of lightning bolt, identity crisis dog morale, being a normal dog is better than chasing bad guys (just be a normal dog and stop trying to foil the bad guys plans). the bad guy is the green eyed man (third eye) there is a scene with ufos and then the hamster says that is totally unrealistic

G Force - G (masonic gatou, force -bible says they worship a god of forces)

madagascar - the monkey says to the other 'get up you funky monkey'
of course it does not sound like 'funky' at all.

madagascar 2 - rave scene, cross dressing lemur king julian, alex bears the mark on his paw that connects him to royalty, the king (mark of beast), giraffe is a witchdoctor, the animals sacrifice in the volcano to the water gods

bee movie - very jewish undertone, hex hex hex, you've got to start thinking b'jewish

toy story - main characters Woody (phallus) and Buzz Lightyear (buzz in year of light), to infinite (888) and beyond (higher than 888) idols can see, hear you

toy story 2 - idols have feelings too, love your inanimate toys, they love you back

Other production companies and animations are just as bad. I could go on but I'll just stick to disney this time around.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
disney is a well known anti-semite.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It teaches that singing a song is always a good idea

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 04:38 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Coatimundi

I agree with you whole heartedly!

I lost my dad to either alcohol, heart attack or both after my family went from upper class citizen in 1950-60s to losing EVERYTHING they owned OVER night! (2.3million dollars in today's economy)

My mom lost her job due to TB and had a mental breakdown that put her spend 10yrs in a mental ward, God rest her soul.

As a kid 4yrs old, my heart and mind were completely ripped apart till the age of 20 and some residual effects from such heartache and childhood even to this very day!

When I saw "The Lion King" when I was 35, I wept in my seat the entire first showing, because what spoke to me the loudest wasn't the Simba's loss but the process to "Never Give Up" on your destiny, even in the face of great loss, because none of us know our future and you'll never know what your future will hold.

After seeing the movie, I watched it every weekend till it was out of the theaters, literally.

Driving down a side street in North Portland with a friend, shortly afterwards, I saw a billboard that said "Come visit the happiest Place on Earth" my heart sank as tears filled my eyes, wishing I could take my 2 daughters, working part-time as a temp, zero benefits, my friend said "you okay?" Just then, i heard "I can make it happen quicker than you think, if you trust me"

3 weeks to the day, the job I had, promoted me to full time, and was asked if I would help with a start-up facility, to which I said "of course!" (with a nice chunk of change to move with)

I took my mother-in-law, my wife and my 2 daughters for 5 full days, 12+ hours a day to see Disneyland, which, you guessed it, Simba's Parade down Main Street.

So, for me, Disney understands extreme hardships, and for all the mud that gets flung in their face for mistakes that are made, (people in glass houses) they still believe in the things that matter most ....to some of us....to which I can testify, I have lived these 3 over 40years of my life..

1) Never Give up on your Dreams,
2) Good Will always overcome evil
3) somewhere along the way, their always be a friend to help you through The Circle of Life.

And THAT'S what Disney taught me, even at 35, when I should have gotten it in my childhood

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Disney is it LOL fun post love disney as a kid loved it as a adult and love it for grandkids .

FACT all the Movies are based On 200 year old story's parent told there kids the story's were designed to be scary for teh most part teh idea being exposing kids to reality .

along with Keep going no matter what and you may have a happy ending .

Red riding hood o yes meant to scare the daylights out of kids the difference now is the wolf wares chains and carry's guns .
AS for Alice the dude was stoned out of his mind when he wrote that story lolol .

Never did like alice but that cattpillor was cool .

posted on Nov, 16 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The moral of their stories...

For girls, the more beautiful you are, the more successful in life you will be, and that it ok to have daddy issues.

For the boys, you ether have to be Prince Charming, or very rich whose mother had passed away to find love.
edit on 16-11-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join