It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Police to take DNA samples of suspects on the street

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

UK Police to take DNA samples of suspects on the street

www.guardian.co.uk

The Home Office is considering giving the police the power to take a DNA sample on the street, without taking the suspect to a police station, as well as taking samples from suspects in relatively minor offences such as littering, speeding or not wearing a seat belt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted already. This scares me. I'm sure when 'Ol George hears about it he'll kick himself of not thinking of it first. Maybe he's waiting for his national ID cards to go through first. The US & The UK seem to work together in these things we take a way a freedom here, they take one away over there, back and forth ad naseum.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Sounds like fun.. Can wait for it to come to the states...

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It's a damn good thing that the UK isn't a police state

Save me big brother !

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have absolutely no problem with this. If your innocent then what the hell have you got to worry about.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I have absolutely no problem with this. If your innocent then what the hell have you got to worry about.

I take it you have no problems of them having if not hundreds but thousands on DNA samples from children who attend schools, taken without parental consent. I find this rather bizzare to say the least. What would they want with thier dna anyways? Is this not against our basic human rights?

But comeone to take someones dna and place it on a database say for dropping litter is going beyond the joke...

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Did you people read the article?
It says the Government are considering it, not have enacted it

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by meurig

Your wrong there, if you know the police. The police are humans, and as such commit crimes to, do they not.

What can they tell for profiling from your dna, probably everything. Whether you may be targeted for dna profiling purposes, have you thought of that.

[edit on 8/4/2007 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Title misleading.

Police want the power, the Home Office will c-o-n-s-i-d-e-r it

Definitions of consider on the Web:

* see: deem to be; "She views this quite differently from me"; "I consider her to be shallow"; "I don't see the situation quite as negatively as you do"
* study: give careful consideration to; "consider the possibility of moving"
* take into consideration for exemplifying purposes; "Take the case of China"; "Consider the following case"
* show consideration for; take into account; "You must consider her age"; "The judge considered the offender's youth and was lenient"
* think about carefully; weigh; "They considered the possibility of a strike"; "Turn the proposal over in your mind"
* think: judge or regard; look upon; judge; "I think he is very smart"; "I believe her to be very smart"; "I think that he is her boyfriend"; "The racist conceives such people to be inferior"
* regard: look at attentively
* view: look at carefully; study mentally; "view a problem"
* regard or treat with consideration, respect, and esteem; "Please consider your family"

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
What can they tell for profiling from your dna, probably everything. Whether you may be targeted for dna profiling purposes, have you thought of that.

really? "probably everything"
from looking at my DNA can they find out my;

religion,
political beliefs,
occupation,
what I am wearing,
Address,
Income,
Employment history,
Education,
Martial status,

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

really? "probably everything"
from looking at my DNA can they find out my;

religion,
political beliefs,
occupation,
what I am wearing,
Address,
Income,
Employment history,
Education,
Martial status,

No, your just being pedantic, you know what i mean. Profiling is big business, and will get alot more intrusive as years go on, with better ways to analyse info.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   

No, your just being pedantic, you know what i mean. Profiling is big business, and will get alot more intrusive as years go on, with better ways to analyse info.

Why the worry when this is only just being considered. Along with the idea will go protection for the individuals.

I suggest you keep your eye on the Government websites where you may send in your opinions on white and green papers, and voice your opinions.

You DO do that dont you?

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

And how many times before have we seen the Government saying they willconsider it? And then they decide to bring it into legislative law, without public consultation...... I for one would be against it, plus I would have to question why they have so many dna samples from children under the age of 16.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The only reason they want it for those before 16, would be for profiling.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone

And how many times before have we seen the Government saying they willconsider it? And then they decide to bring it into legislative law, without public consultation...... I for one would be against it, plus I would have to question why they have so many dna samples from children under the age of 16.

Have you written to your MP about it? You really should express your views to him/her

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   

No, you cried wolf.

I just corrected you.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by meurig

As long as your government is a benign one, probably not much.

The same can be said of biometric IDs and passports, fingerprinting/DNA sampling of people merely stopped by the police in the street, CCTV cameras everywhere, satellite tracking in your cars, and (no doubt at some future point) microchipping everyone.

It's when your government decides to go all dictatorish on you, THAT'S when you got to worry.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
In The UK the Government cant go 'all dictatorship' on you.

The Armed forces owe allegiance to the Queen, not the Government.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by spencerjohnstone

I take it you have no problems of them having if not hundreds but thousands on DNA samples from children who attend schools, taken without parental consent. I find this rather bizzare to say the least. What would they want with thier dna anyways? Is this not against our basic human rights?

But comeone to take someones dna and place it on a database say for dropping litter is going beyond the joke...

Let me add to this by saying that once they have your DNA, they can plant your DNA. And they can plant it somewhere that you have never been and it doesn't matter how innocent you are... you'll be spending the rest of your days in jail.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
Let me add to this by saying that once they have your DNA, they can plant your DNA. And they can plant it somewhere that you have never been and it doesn't matter how innocent you are... you'll be spending the rest of your days in jail.

Im sorry but that statement is so ridiculous as to be laughable.
Do you actually know what happens when DNA samples are taken?
Do you think they are all kept in little bottles in some secret laboratory or something?
Police DNA samples are stored as files on a computer once the DNA sequencing has been done.
How are they going to plant a computer file on something?

The days of storing physical DNA samples dissapeared quite a few years ago

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join