It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any fellow "pescatarians"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hey everyone...so about a week or so ago I made the choice to eliminate eating anything that screams or walks on land ahaha basically if eat "meat' it will be fish anything ocean related. other than that im vegetarian all the way!!

anyway are there any fellow pescas out there??
i want some killer recipes if you can hook it up..im new to the game..i found some good stuff online but i would like to hear what you guys like to make .
avacado tacos are yummmm

also any good products to buy? im super into morningstar "sausage" patties and garden burgers flame grilled MmMmM
alright thanks
xoch

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Although I recently switched to a vegan diet, for around five years my diet has been vegetarian with the addition of a moderate amount of seafood.

The "pescaterian" diet can be really healthy and best of all, it's not hard to follow at all. I had zero trouble making the transition or sticking to it. If you're looking at recipies online you're already doinng the first thing I'd suggest.

Get some cod or sea bass, cabbage, corn tortillas, make a white sauce and some salsa, and make fish tacos (don't forget lime and cilantro) They are delicious. Corn tortillas- manditory!

Also, learn how to make tasty lentils and red/black beans, which are a good dish to add to a plate to make up for meat.

A word of warning regarding Morningstar, etcetera, if part of your diet decision has to do with the conditions under which livestock are kept and killed... Read your ingredients and you will find many brands contain egg. You can generally bet that the eggs are NOT from free-range sources but rather from battery-cage hens. NOT nice!

Good luck! I have a few good recipies of my own, like for rice and beans, if you like...

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Yes, count me in. I got interested in this type of diet when I attended a cooking class given by a macrobiotic counselor. The macrobiotic approach is described on a variety of web sites, such as:

www.gomf.macrobiotic.net...

www.cybermacro.com...

www.macrobiotics.nl...

First introduced by George Ohzawa in the 1950's in Japan, macrobiotics has grown into a worldwide community. There are now macrobiotic groups on every continent, so I have been told, although I'm not sure about Antarctica.

The Wikipedia article on macrobiotics is mostly correct as a fast overview:

en.wikipedia.org...

The bottom line is, today's macrobiotic diet is based on traditional diets in use for at least 1,000 years by indigenous people around the world. Unlike veganism and vegetarianism, it requires no daily vitamins or supplements (such as Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, etc.) to assure full health.

Good luck with your quest!

[edit on 9/14/2007 by Uphill]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
So, what's the difference between a vegetarian and a pescatarian?

The fish part? (...I thought vegetarians were still in debate over fish...)

I'm not so much worried about what I'm eating (meat vs. veggies), but rather how far it traveled to get to the store.

With all the gas/oil issues, it just doesn't make sense to me to eat foods that are out of season, or traveled farther than, say, 100-200 miles to get to my store and plate. I don't remember exactly which page (I can look it up if anyone's that curious), but in Barbara Kingslover's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, she mentions that for every 1 calorie of food we ingest, 87 calories were spent to get the food to us.
That seems ridiculous...

Likewise, bear in mind that animals and insects lived in and around those veggies and fruits, and were stripped of their habitats, if not their lives, upon harvest. (Not meaning to down-grade the efforts, just providing more information.)

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Diseria

vegetarians don't eat any animal at all but they do eat cheese and stuff.. pescatarians eat ocean animals ahaha sounds weird but yeah..i don't eat fish everyday but when i go out i go for theseafood options etc.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'm the exact opposite. I hardly ever eat any seafood at all. I don't remember the last time it's been several years at least.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
As someone mentioned, it's how far the food has to travel to make it to my plate that dictates a lot of my choices. Pescetarianism is a wonderful choice if you live near the source of your food, (ie. an ocean...).
But other than it being a good dietary choice for your health, if you eat fish imported from the other side of the globe you're doing more harm than good. It would be better to eat the cow grown and slaughtered nearby than to import a fish product that needed to be transported a great distance.

I'm a huge fan of fish, and it's on my plate at least twice a week, but I choose fish that is not endangered, and it has to be indigenous to my region. I have totally stopped eating tuna because of the method of catching them and the amount of heavy metals that build up in a fish that size.

But for a recipe:

I cook basmati rice and steam some fish in separate pans.
Scramble one egg with a little hot sauce and mushrooms.
Pan fry a couple 12" tortillas just to scorch them, and make two wraps.

It's a perfectly well balanced meal, and damn, it tastes so good.

Beef, pork, and chicken may not be what you want to eat, but they can be better choices if grown locally and not shipped half way around the world.

Just one more note, see some of the stuff Worldwatcher has posted in the food and cooking forum. She knows her way around a kitchen, and her recipes will fall right in with your dietary choice.
Just add fish..............

Edit: sp

[edit on 15/9/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My diet goes in phases, but right now the protein component consists almost entirely of pre-cooked Shrimp, Tilapia and Salmon.

In addition I eat a lot of fruit.

I'm not exactly sure why, but it started out as a type of Atkins diet (lots of protein and not a lot else).

Seems to be suit me well; I try not to exceed 1000-1200 calories/day. I weigh and track all my food (being a cyclist) using Fitday.

top topics

join