It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MMA to Knock Out Boxing: Sept 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Should be interesting on September 8th.

In what, in my opinion, is a brutally BRILLIANT move by UFC front man Dana White, UFC 75 will be broadcast FREE on basic cable television on Spike TV September 8th.

It's a pretty card too. Rampage Jackson, Henderson, Cro Cop...

Spike TV will telecast “UFC 75: Champion vs. Champion,” its most star-studded fight card ever, including the network’s first-ever UFC® title fight, a unification bout between UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and PRIDE’s 205-pound Champion Dan “Hollywood” Henderson, on Saturday, September 8 at 9:00 PM ET/PT (same day tape) from The O2 Arena in London, England. UFC 75 also features a major heavyweight battle with international superstar Mirko “Cro Cop” when he takes on France’s Cheick Kongo. As a special feature, England’s own and “The Ultimate Fighter® 3” Light Heavyweight Champion Michael “The Count” Bisping takes on fellow “The Ultimate Fighter 3” cast member Matt “The Hammer” Hamill.

The thing that makes this move the broadcast equivalent of a rear naked choke is what is that White scheduled the free showing on a night where boxing has a typically drab card scheduled on HBO PAY PER VIEW:

Saturday, September 8 - at Los Angeles (HBO PPV) -
12 rounds, super middleweights: Fernando Vargas
(26-4, 22 KOs) vs. Ricardo Mayorga (28-6-1, 23 KOs);
12 rounds, light middleweights: Luis Collazo (27-3, 13 KOs)
vs. Sharmba Mitchell (57-6, 30 KOs); 12 rounds, light
middleweights: Daniel Santos (30-3-1, 21 KOs) vs.
Jose Antonio Rivera (38-5-1, 24 KOs); 12 rounds,
light heavyweights: Paul Briggs (26-3, 18 KOs) vs.
Hugo Hernan Garay (28-2, 15 KOs).

What will YOU be watching?

R.I.P. boxing.

JbT

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   
In my mind right now Im picturing Chris Tucker, standing over a representative figuer of the WBO, yelling out; "You got knocked tha f*** out!".

While I still respect a good boxing match, the bad ones far out weight the good ones. So, Im all for the UFC becoming the new flavor of the decade.

Cant wait for Sept..... :bash: Go UFC go :bash:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I will watch UFC and be so happy watching people beating the crap out eachother. I cant wait to see Cro-Cop again (if he isnt permantely damaged from that head kick he took).

Boxing? I'd rather watch WWE then that.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
In the last few months, I've become a huge UFC fan. Dana White is a genius, and he is going to put one of the final nails in the coffin come September 8th.

Rampage vs. Henderson is going to be one of the bigger fights in recent history, and he could of pulled in a major pay day on the Pay Per View orders. Rather than for the quick buck, he gives it for free and gives the fans an early Christmas present.

Now if we can get Silva and Liddell set up, we'll all be smiling.

posted on Jul, 19 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The quality and politics in Boxing is appaling these days. I just hope MMA stays as un-rigged as possible and doesn't go the same way. I can only see the technique and well roundedness of fighters increasing as time goes on for the time being.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
In the last few months, I've become a huge UFC fan. Dana White is a genius, and he is going to put one of the final nails in the coffin come September 8th.

Rampage vs. Henderson is going to be one of the bigger fights in recent history,

dana white is a big fat cardio boxing turd...
he is going to taint this wonderful sport cause he is too worried about the money.

hell yes i will be watching....it's free MMA and it would be sweet to see hendo beat rampage....hendo always has a chance but i am also looking forward to bisping and hamill but all together, this card does not deserve a $40 tag on ppv..

dana is gonna use this to hook some more people and then crank the ppv's again. just last year they were $29.99 and now they are $39.99

also, i would not put it past dana and these gnubs to the fight game to work a match....
every time i watch the ufc i get this serious wwe vibe. the crowd is always drunk. dana has been making 'announcements' where the champ/challenger come to the ring and stare each other down wwe style.
every fighter has a nickname like chris 'the crippler' leben.

all in all, i think the UFC is going to keep contracting great fighters, but mediocre fighters too. imo, japan is going to continue to be where the real competition is at.

out of all the people ufc has under contract, there are a couple people in each class that i put at the top of the game.

who do they have for heavy's?
cro cop
gan magee
tim sylvia
monson
arlovski
rodriguez
cheik kongo
paul beuntello..........

please

mma is my favorite sport. i used to train before i got hurt and have been following it for years but i worry that it is going to become huge and that is going to ruin it....investors are going to start getting in on it and then things will change.

it's already different. 5 years ago it was normal commercials and today, every 5 minutes there is a xience commercial..

"my name is chuck liddell and i became the lhw champ RIGHT AFTER i started taking cience"

meh....

don't get me wrong, i will watch but the real action is in japan and pride ain't the only game over there.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Boy oh boy...things heat up today as boxing throws a HAYMAKER at the fight-matching prowess of the UFC!

Felix Trinidad v. Roy Jones Jr.
Two great champions who, one could argue, should be 1 and 2 on every pound for pound list in the world!

In the words of hall of fame, virtuous promoter, Don King:

"It would be demonstrated by two titans, two legendary fighters, coming together to fight," King said. "This is what the public has awaited for a long time, and now they're going to have it."

It's true, Don! We've been waiting for this for...

...oh wait...

Sorry I just looked at my calendar.

Sorry everybody I was thinking it was 1999.

My bad.

I guess I'll just have to hold out for a George Foreman / Larry Holmes fight King is putting together for next year.

Source: Yahoo Sports

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I think I'd rather watch Vargas and Mayorga fight. Mayorga throws punches like there's no tomorrow and should goad Vargas into cutting loose instead of fighting technical.

It's not a great overall card though.

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
It is worth noting the history of sports in America. Back in the 1950's baseball, horse racing, and boxing were the biggest sports. Football and basketball were sideshow curiosities.

The NFL and NBA embraced television and continue to do so. Horse racing was wary of television back in the 1950's. Race track owners thought television would hurt horse racing because people would stay at home and watch racing on TV rather than come to the track. Boxing for the most part is only found on cable and pay per view television. Needless to say, the sports that are the most popular are those that embraced television.

If history repeats itself, the sports that will be the most popular are those that are going to use the media to get the largest amount of exposure. The MMA leagues that use television and the internet to make their product widely accessible to the masses will ultimately prevail.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:56 AM
link   
BTW, Vargas/Mayorga is off because Vargas is a hundred freakin' pounds overweight.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join