It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professors in Colorado Recieve Death Threats for Teaching Evolution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Professors in Colorado Recieve Death Threats for Teaching Evolution

blog.wired.com

Letters from a Christian extremist last week threatened the lives of evolution biology professors at the University of Colorado at Boulder. The letters claimed to be on behalf of a group, but newspapers and at least one blog have reported that an individual, Michael Korn, a Jew-turned-Christian extremist, is likely behind the threats. CU police spokesman Brad Wiesley told me they haven't officially named a suspect but the Colorado Daily wrote that others "close to the case" named Korn....
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.coloradodaily.com
www.pandasthumb.org
www.netscape.com

Mod Edit: Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 18-7-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Should we be afraid of science? This seems to be brining us back to the days of burning heretics at the stake for not teaching that the Earth is the center of the universe. Sometimes I think that Christian extremists are as dangerous as Muslim extremists. However it seems that one is portrayed in the media more commonly than the other.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You are afraid of science if you believe Evolution, it is a THEORY. Do I have to explain what a THEORY IS, how did you get online, you really don't [Mod edit to remove personal attack].

And fret not Colorado professors won't be teaching it much longer
, there is a lawsuit coming at the schools for teaching KNOWN LIES which Violtaes Colorado Law. Now I am sure many of you think preaching Lies is okay, many of you defend bush and Co. on the 911 thing as well as many other things. So I take it yourmotto is either

"Anything but God." or possibly "teach children lies"

Either way your in no wise MY COUNTRYMAN...

[edit on 7/18/2007 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Mmmmm... a Jew-turned-Christian.

I get mighty suspicious of these radical converts. A bit like the American Al Qaida supremo the press / government agencies keep bringing up. A Jew-turned-Muslim, who just happens to be the grandson of an ADL board member. Agent provocateur?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wasn't Jesus supposed to have said "Forgive them, Father. They know not what they do."? What has happened to forgiveness? This Korn fellow seems to have as much to do with the Christians that I know as the Muslim extremists have to do with the muslims that I know.

It sounds as though you support this Michael K(H)orn character, theindependentjournal, but surely I am mistaken?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
You are afraid of science if you believe Evolution, it is a THEORY. Do I have to explain what a THEORY IS, how did you get online, you really don't seem bright enough.

this argument is tired and nonsensical. You don't understand what theory means in scientific method. Until you do, please stop trying to use this tired old standby.

Here, perhaps this will help you to understand what you obviously do not:

en.wikipedia.org...

Evolution is fact. There is evidence of evolution.

Nutcases like Korn are exactly what is wrong with the world today.

If Christianity was correct and evolution was a lie, then people like Korn wouldn't feel the need to threaten death to someone who teaches science. He threatens others because he feels threatened. A psychological paradox where you know your belief system is flawed tends to have that effect on the unbalanced.

[edit to add link]

[edit on 18-7-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I think some people missed the evoloution boat here, whats going on?

They wont be teaching it in Colorado any more? Nonsense, are they seriously going to teach intelligent students (from all faiths) in science lectures that the world was made in 6 days, the fossels were put there - at the same time as the oil and coal
by someone I call God - but you have a different name for.

(p.s. Electricity will here forth be taught as Gods devine will - remote controls will be replaced with prayer)

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

You are afraid of science if you believe Evolution, it is a THEORY. Do I have to explain what a THEORY IS, how did you get online, you really don't seem bright enough.

Ouch dude! No need to call me stupid. And I was referring to being afraid to teach science for fear of being murdered. And yes, please explain your definition of a theory, that ought to be good for a laugh.

And fret not Colorado professors won't be teaching it much longer
, there is a lawsuit coming at the schools for teaching KNOWN LIES which Violtaes Colorado Law. Now I am sure many of you think preaching Lies is okay, many of you defend bush and Co. on the 911 thing as well as many other things. So I take it yourmotto is either

"Anything but God." or possibly "teach children lies"

Either way your in no wise MY COUNTRYMAN...

Still trying to decipher what this means, but I think you mean that the Christian God and the Bible are the only truth, and that teaching anything but should be banned. Maybe I misread though.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Scientific METHOD means observable and TO KNOW, don't start with yuor tripe thanks.

And your correct I do not support Killing anyone except in defense, I do not like abortion doctor killers or Evolution threats or anything of that nature. It as has been said in this thread, is against god's Word. Everyone on the planet has the RIGHT to decide for themselves what they will believe and follow as a doctrine. No one has the Right to take anothers life because you don't like their choices, that is called MURDER in the Bible and in the Law. The Jew turned Christian part is interesting but not worth comment I don't think.

Bottom line is that most schools in America ar teaching KNOWN LIES concerning evolution, and there arelawsuits filed.More of the Scopes trials I assume in a way of speaking. As in the scopes trial they will not be concerned with evolution theory but the Law. That is why Scopes lost that trial and paid the fine. The Law in Colorado says that lies and particularly KNOWN ones can not be taught which they do.

So I disagree with death threats on anyone, but I also disagree with teaching known lies to kids...

EDIT - WIKIPEDIA LOL

[edit on 7/18/2007 by theindependentjournal]

[edit on 7/18/2007 by theindependentjournal]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Now I am being warned, LOL...

I will no longer be responding to Major in any thread for any reason, Deny Ignorance

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Exactly. I was denying your ignorance and you resorted to insults.

If you want to sound like a back-woods ignoramus it's up to you, but I will continue to show you the error of your logic whenever you post your misguided information.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

So I disagree with death threats on anyone, but I also disagree with teaching known lies to kids...

So if evolution is "Known lies" what is the "Known truth" in your mind? Creationism? The word of "God" as written by man thousands of years ago? What makes their words more valid than those of contemporary society?

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Oh man, not this debate again!!

It continually amazes me how many otherwise rational people hold on to these antiquated and irrational belief systems, for no apparent reason other than tradition or upbringing.

Faith lets people invoke a supernatural entity rather that take responsibility for their own lives.

Religion is a scam, orchestrated to contol the populace. There is no credible evidence for any supernatural phenomena, and if there was, it wouldn't be supernatural, now would it?

People who deny the evidence for evolution because it does not fit with their tired old belief system really irk me! Just because we may not have a good explanation for something right now does not mean that we never will, and to imply that only a supernatural being can be responsible is just ludicrous!

It is such blind belief that impedes our progress, causes wars, etc.

Down with religion! People that espouse creationism are the real danger to society.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Ok, this how I see the whole hypocrecy of cristianity in our nation.

Keeping the children dumb so they make ingnorant adults.

And to claim that we are bringing democracy and freedom to the world when in our own nation we have radical christians trying to control education.

Let them get away with it and we may have our own version of madrassas schools where children recite the entire bible while beating the book on their heads.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

"every true Christian should be ready and willing to take up arms to kill the enemies of Christian society."

How very Christian.

Have these people even heard of the word hypocrite?

By the way the topic of this thread is the news article cited in the opening post. If you want to have a debate about creationism versus evolution, take it somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   

"every true Christian should be ready and willing to take up arms to kill the enemies of Christian society."

Interesting that this quote express the same sentiments of the people we are fighting in the middle east.

"every true muslin should be ready and willing to take up arms to kill the enemies of Islamic society"

Like a true radical fundamentalist to say that, regarless of what religion they worship.

mod edit: fixed quote box

[edit on 7/18/2007 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
hey, stay stupid and they can control...wouldn't want people to actually learn.

mentioning the teaching of evolution as KNOWN LIES.....bwuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

is th bible/religious teachings a KNOWN TRUTH?

religion is a friggin plague. it's going to destroy us

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is why there has to be a clear and distinct separation of church and state.

If the religiously minded wish to teach creationism in schools then, to keep things fair and balanced, educators should be given the opportunity to preach evolution in church.
Evolution is taught as a theory, like many other scientific fields it is not a known fact but the best explanation to support current thinking. It may be right or it may be wrong, let the students make up their own minds as they grow.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Now I am being warned, LOL...

I will no longer be responding to Major in any thread for any reason, Deny Ignorance

You were actually warned for calling me stupid. And it was the first post in this thread, so you can't say you were responding to something Major said.

As for the definition of theory:

a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena; "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"; "true in fact and theory"

I think you're confusing it with Hypothesis:

a tentative theory about the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory"; "he proposed a fresh theory of alkalis that later was accepted in chemical practices"

Don't worry, it's a common mistake with those ill versed in scientific method.

posted on Jul, 18 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This points out something I've been saying for a while in the Muslim bashing threads that have been polluting this place lately: the problem is violent religious fanatics, not just Muslims, Christians, Jews, or any other particular religion.

These people are convinced that God is on their side, and that if they don't kill "God's enemies" they are going to hell. Whatever religion they profess to follow, they are all dangerous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join