It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Suspends Arms Agreement Over U.S. Shield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

MOSCOW, July 14 — President Vladimir V. Putin, angered by American plans to deploy a missile shield in Eastern Europe, formally notified NATO governments on Saturday that Russia will suspend its obligations under the Conventional Forces in Europe Treaty, a key cold war-era arms limitation agreement.

The decision ratcheted up tensions over the missile shield plan, but also reflected a trend of rising anti-Americanism and deep suspicion toward the West here as Russia’s March presidential elections approach.

Russia’s suspension will take effect in 150 days, according to a copy of the president’s decree posted on a Kremlin Web site. That delay leaves open the possibility of further negotiation on the 1990 treaty, which resulted in a huge wave of disarmament along the former East-West divide in Europe.

Full Article

Discuss.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is not good, a global warning of impending doom. Does this mean that the U.S. is forcing Russia to defend itself? I thought Bush said it was all good, simply a misunderstanding as to why Putin announced Russia's need to point missiles at Europe.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Our fearful leaders have agreed to turn the shield system along with the High Frontier over to Russia. At the last I heard. We're already taking care of Russia's nuclear waste by turning plutonium into MOX fuel for our commercial nukes. That means nothing to them nor does the billions of dollars in aid to keep the bear from starving. Oh the bear is mad, too bad. I’m mad about flight 007. (OK the Challenger was a spy bird, true enough but to shoot down a commercial air craft) I’m mad that Russia keeps engineering bio-chemicals and building nuclear power plants that have the primary purpose of producing plutonium. Why bother cleaning up their plutonium messes if they are going to keep creating them? Why not just turn the keys to DC over can Putin be that much worse than who ever is in charge of the US now? (Sarcasm)

Why don't we break out the particle beams and produce THEL cannons? If our leaders had the spine of a school of jelly fish we would have a defense shield around our country and our enemies (to keep their missiles from leaving their own air space). Jimmy (why fight for it if you can give it away) Carter killed the program that would have protected over 86% of our most densely populated soil by now. How many years have passed since Tesla first proposed such an advancement?

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is just another case of the US State Dept and the EU press whipping up a frenzy over nothing, trying to discredit Putin.

As I understand it, this Treaty which covers conventional arms only, is up for renewel in the near future.

Also, this relic of the Cold War, has only been ratified by a handful of countries in the EU and many may have to renegotiate and sign up to newer version of the treaty.

This is another example of Bush spin, pure and simple.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Absolutely nothing will come of this in my opinion. Just like all the other exaggerations, nothing will happen.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This one is easy. Right in front of our faces. Russia does not want a US shield. Can't blame them. So Russia will pull out of a dumb treaty, NATO will cave in, have a summit and no shield, no troops on the border. Putin looks strong, NATO looks smart and all is well again.

top topics

join