It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What airfield is this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Okay guys, I just wondered what this airfield is? Its located not too far away from Area 51 and appears to have a plane on its runway. At first I thought the plane looked rather flat (as if it was painted rather than an actual plane) but it appears to have a shadow. I also noticed that theres no runway/taxyway markings.

Any ideas which airfield this is?

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Look's like a mock up of a runway for bombing practice to me...

Regard's
Lee

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yeah, the thought did cross my mind. I wonder if aircraft from area 51 practice their bombing runs there?

Theres also another place abit furter west of this airfield that looks like another airfield. If I can find it again i'll post a pic.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This "airfield" is discussed frequently on ATS. It is a target on the Nevada Test and Training Range, one of many used during Red Flag and other exercises. It has no connection with Area 51.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Ah okay, sorry to post another post about it. I didn't realise it had been discussed before. I don't really know much about that particular part of the world, and my military aviation knowledge is limited as im a pilot on the civil side of aviation the UK.

Thanks for the explanation though. I appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
No worries. One thing to remember is that there are tons of these un-improved runways all over the place.

In fact in the hills above San Luis Obispo, California there is an small field that is painted like the deck of an aircraft carrier. I have seen it a few times during flight to the hospital there.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Hey,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I'm new to learning about all this. I've known about Area 51 for years but didnt know anything about its local area.

Thats interesting about the field painted like an aircraft carrier. In what way do they use it? I can't imagine that they land in a field, so my guess would be to practice dropping bombs?

I only learnt about RAF Machrihanish recently, which is here in the UK, which looks like a rather interesting place (or atleast it was) Are there any other military bases in the UK that you know of that have links with secret aircraft?

I used to live within 2 miles of RAF Portreath, which was a rather odd place.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
In this day and age, realize that many of the cool, secret aircraft testing at Area 51 are unmanned drones and quite boring. Its not all Super fast, alien designed "Hey man, I'm gonna take out the super shadow jet, and pwn some noobs with my alien bombs" jet.

Of course, sometimes it is.

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by capt23
Thats interesting about the field painted like an aircraft carrier. In what way do they use it?

oooops when I said field I ment a runway. Its hardtop

According to the log books its a private field on a ranch. Some guy went out of his way to paint it that way. im guessing he was a carrier pilot before he owned the ranch

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ah I see. Thats quite interesting. I've never heard of that before, but as you say, he must be a former military pilot.

Yeah, indeed. They're probably just experimental aircraft being seen and not necessarily 'outer space' stuff. I've seen plenty of unusual objects in the sky but always keep an open mind and know that its likely to be experimental military aircraft of some kind.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiwynn
In this day and age, realize that many of the cool, secret aircraft testing at Area 51 are unmanned drones and quite boring. Its not all Super fast, alien designed "Hey man, I'm gonna take out the super shadow jet, and pwn some noobs with my alien bombs" jet.

top topics

join