It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranormal Grab Bag

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
God Damn, i hate making thread titles....it's so hard to come up with good ones, especially for threads like this...

Anyway, I'm gonna lay out a few things before i start, so i can hopefully avoid cries of "HOAX" and "ur full of #, mate"

1: The group i head up, is unofficial, not recognized by the local or state government.

2: Me and my people are NOT Law Enforcement Officers.

3: Everything i say in this thread will be truthful, and accurate, to the best of my memory. I've been around long enough to know what happens to hoaxers. You can trust me not to jerk you around.

4: I cannot give out too many details as to my identity, the identity of my people, or the group i run. I know for a fact that people unfriendly to me post here, and a few of the things i may post here have been posted elsewhere for discussion.

I head up a small team of 5 men (6 in total, including me) We're tactically trained paranormal investigators. Meaning, we investigate things that go bump in the night, but have been trained on how to deal with the situation in the event that the the focus of our investigation turns out to not be paranormal in origin.

Over the last few years, i've been witness to things that defy explanation. Paranormal occurrences so odd, that even years later, i'm still unable to definitively spell out exactly what caused them, and therefore, can't complete and close the case file. I'm going to try dropping descriptions of some of them here in this thread, and see if any of you can figure them out.

Let's see here...i've got biologics....nahh, too extreme for the first post..possible demonic entity...eh', maybe later...

Ok, this is a good one...this one goes back like 40 years...

Colored balls of light that float around, and move under their own power....approximately 2-4 inches in diameter, already been proven NOT to be fireflies. Running theory is EM, or perhaps actual ghost-like entity. They were ONLY spotted in a specific patch of woods, that no longer exists, making further analysis of the area impossible.

Any ideas on this?

Then there's this one i popped into another thread.

i encountered something VERY disturbing in a near-sleep state once...and i mean only once.

Originally posted by Daedalus
I was in a state right between being asleep, and being awake. i know this because i was constantly drifting in and out...

Anyway, it was like an ultra real dream state....everything felt completely real. So i find myself in my front yard, it was dusk out, for some reason i'm drawn to go down the driveway on the right side of my house, and just as i turn the corner, i stop dead in my tracks. There, standing in front of my dad's car is this...figure. it's like a silhouette, but it's whole....very hard to destribe...like a man, but totally black, with no features, not even a face. I stared at it for a moment, and it moved to approach me, then in the blink of an eye, it was right in front of me, and it said "My name is (i can no longer remember the name), the next time you see me will be right before you die". This all happened VERY fast, and i snapped back to a completely awake and alert state, only i was terrified, and completely unable to move for a couple of minutes. All i could do was dart my eyes around, while i tried to figure out what the hell had just happened. That was several years ago, but i still remember it like it was yesterday.

Ever since this happened, i CONSTANTLY have the feeling i'm being watched, it's only really noticeable when i'm alone. In addition to this, when i'm laying in bed, with my eyes closed, i sometimes feel parts of my bed sink, like my cat's just jumped up, but when i open my eyes, he's not there...NOTHING'S there...it's most creepy when it happens to my pillow.

initial theory on this one was that it was a shadowperson. But it doesn't really fit the profile of shadowpeople. The other theory suggested by one of my people is that perhaps in the state i was in, it had become possible for me to be contacted by some kind of extradimensional being....i'm not sure i buy that one, but at least it's an idea.

Any ideas on this one?

Depending on how well this post is received, i'll post more stuff.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Hmm. I wonder if you are describing Ball Lightning in your first question.

As far as your second question, Ive had many time experienced strange happenings during the moment im about to fall asleep. I tend to believe that it is a vivid dream. Even though you might feel your still aware and awake, you are still dreaming. You could also be awake and dream at that moment before sleep.

I sometimes fall asleep and wake up 10 mins later and not feel like i had even dozed off. I hear wispers when im about to fall asleep. As you said also, the pressure on the bed like a cat is walking around, and nothings there when I open my eyes.

The mention of the shadow saying "The next time you see me, is when you're dead" is a bit creepy. Im still riding on it being only a dream IMO.

Hope you find right answers.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

In addition to this, when i'm laying in bed, with my eyes closed, i sometimes feel parts of my bed sink, like my cat's just jumped up, but when i open my eyes, he's not there...NOTHING'S there...it's most creepy when it happens to my pillow.

I've had this happen when I lived with my parents. Sometimes I feel a light pushing on my lower back when I'm laying on my side going to sleep.

I attributed it to the sheets settling to make me feel better about it.

About those shadowy figures, I was going to sleep one night and heard something drop onto the floor. I looked into the corner and saw a shadow that had 3D form, human sized. I looked more and it jumped up and into the top corner of the room (like spider-man), still a 3D shadow. I'm not religious but prayed for Jesus to protect me, got up, turned the lights on and nothing was there. Spooked me out, must have been my mind playing tricks on me. None the less, I prefer to sleep during daylight and stay up during dark. I can see better that way.

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamen
Hmm. I wonder if you are describing Ball Lightning in your first question.

Naah, we'd already ruled out ball lightning. This phenomenon only presented in this one area, would sometimes last for hours at a time, and would move around the area, as if under intelligent control. From the descriptions i've heard from witnesses, it was quite an odd thing to see.'
'
Anyway, we ruled out ball lightning, swamp gas, fireflies, and kids with flashlights.

As far as your second question, Ive had many time experienced strange happenings during the moment im about to fall asleep. I tend to believe that it is a vivid dream. Even though you might feel your still aware and awake, you are still dreaming. You could also be awake and dream at that moment before sleep.

I sometimes fall asleep and wake up 10 mins later and not feel like i had even dozed off. I hear wispers when im about to fall asleep. As you said also, the pressure on the bed like a cat is walking around, and nothings there when I open my eyes.

Oh, i make no allusions that i was still awake. I KNOW i'd drifted off. It's really odd, and doesn't happen to me often. It's a state between sleep and wake, where i'm vaguely aware of my surroundings, as in they exist, and i can still tell where i am, and what's up, but i'm also really kinda foggy, and slow to react. If i were in this state, and someone were to quietly enter my room, and try to hurt me, i'd most likely not be able to react in time.

I don't know if it was a dream or not, but it was VERY disturbing.

The mention of the shadow saying "The next time you see me, is when you're dead" is a bit creepy. Im still riding on it being only a dream IMO.

Yeah, tell me about it. I've never been that bothered by a dream before. I'm starting to think it was something more than just a dream.

Hope you find right answers.

so do i.

Originally posted by Spoodily

In addition to this, when i'm laying in bed, with my eyes closed, i sometimes feel parts of my bed sink, like my cat's just jumped up, but when i open my eyes, he's not there...NOTHING'S there...it's most creepy when it happens to my pillow.

I've had this happen when I lived with my parents. Sometimes I feel a light pushing on my lower back when I'm laying on my side going to sleep.

I attributed it to the sheets settling to make me feel better about it.

About those shadowy figures, I was going to sleep one night and heard something drop onto the floor. I looked into the corner and saw a shadow that had 3D form, human sized. I looked more and it jumped up and into the top corner of the room (like spider-man), still a 3D shadow. I'm not religious but prayed for Jesus to protect me, got up, turned the lights on and nothing was there. Spooked me out, must have been my mind playing tricks on me. None the less, I prefer to sleep during daylight and stay up during dark. I can see better that way.

Difference between your experience and mine is that you were completely awake at the time, i was not.

Coincidentally, i tend to sleep during the day as well.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Daedalus]

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I had found something on Disclose.tv that might be of relevance to the lights you explain. I have no idea what this could be myself, but its interesting all the same. Check it out:

www.disclose.tv...

Also, dream or not, only thing else that comes to mind is demonic entity. Something with that type of negitive position will do almost anything.

I am a 4 year Paranormal Investigator, and started doing this work for a family who owned a plank house in Marcus Hook, PA. This plank house was visited by Blackbeard the Pirate, and owned by Blackbeards mistress at that time. When the current family took over, they began seeing entities and also things being tossed at them almost on a daily basis. Mind you they were generaly scared of the current situation they were in, and needed some answers. So I am fully interested in your claim, and would be glad to help in any way possible, as im still learning alot in this field of study.

By chance did you feel threatened at all by this encounter? Can you describe more?

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamen
I had found something on Disclose.tv that might be of relevance to the lights you explain. I have no idea what this could be myself, but its interesting all the same. Check it out:

www.disclose.tv...

That video is a hoax, and not even a very good one. The light is either someone standing there with a zippo, or some other kind of light, or, it's a light that is being controlled by someone else. I base this on the fact that when he starts flashing at it with the headlights, you can see something sitting in the same exact place where the "mysterious light" was.

No ghosts or paranormal entities here, just a bunch of dumb hicks with torches.

Also, dream or not, only thing else that comes to mind is demonic entity. Something with that type of negitive position will do almost anything.

I am a 4 year Paranormal Investigator, and started doing this work for a family who owned a plank house in Marcus Hook, PA. This plank house was visited by Blackbeard the Pirate, and owned by Blackbeards mistress at that time. When the current family took over, they began seeing entities and also things being tossed at them almost on a daily basis. Mind you they were generaly scared of the current situation they were in, and needed some answers. So I am fully interested in your claim, and would be glad to help in any way possible, as im still learning alot in this field of study.

By chance did you feel threatened at all by this encounter? Can you describe more?

Thanks!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Did i feel threatened?

Man, you're funny...omfg, yes, of course i felt threatened, wouldn't you?

This thing was scary, man...As to a more in depth description, i can't give you one. I've already described everything.

[edit on 29-6-2007 by Daedalus]

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Just found your link to this thread tonight, sorry I did not get to it sooner but its been a busy day. Well you know that most of what I talk about is sleep related stuff when it comes to paranormal, but I’ll give a shot at this other stuff too:

Colored balls of light that float around, and move under their own power....approximately 2-4 inches in diameter, already been proven NOT to be fireflies. Running theory is EM, or perhaps actual ghost-like entity. They were ONLY spotted in a specific patch of woods, that no longer exists, making further analysis of the area impossible.

There is no way to tell if something like this is EMF related or not unless you got an EMF reading from it. If it does not happen anymore, then you may never know what it was. Good theories, which are more conventional then the paranormal route, for what you witnessed can include Earthlights, and Ball Lightning also known as ”Foo Fighters”. I also don’t see why it would not be possible for High EMF to cause a ball of light.

I was in a state right between being asleep, and being awake. i know this because i was constantly drifting in and out...

Anyway, it was like an ultra real dream state....everything felt completely real.

I think we kind of already covered this one in the other thread with the discussion of REM sleep, Stage One Sleep, and Hypnogognia. There is no way to tell if this was a dream or not as you mention that you were drifting in and out of sleep. It is entirely possible, especially if a person has been deprived of REM sleep recently, for that person to go rapidly into REM sleep, have a dream, and immediately wake up afterwards. If there were no outside witnesses or physical evidence to the contrary then that is what you should chalk it up to if your going to be objective about it. I agree that the content of this event would be disturbing, but still it is nothing that cannot be called a dream. I am often shocked myself about how real, and how logically thought out my dreams often are without there being a conscience effort on my own part.

This all happened VERY fast, and i snapped back to a completely awake and alert state, only i was terrified, and completely unable to move for a couple of minutes.

This is further proof that what you experienced was a REM stage dream, as waking to rapidly will cause you to be unable to move. When you dream your body emits a chemical which causes paralysis of the skeletal muscles, this is to prevent you from acting out your dreams, if you wake to rapidly from that stage that chemical sometimes needs a few seconds to clear out of your system. Though it may feel like it lasts for a long time, it passes in seconds in reality. Some folks experience hallucinations along with this paralysis, and be thankful you did not experience that as well, especially after that dream.

i CONSTANTLY have the feeling i'm being watched

This can be standard anxiety, which I think most folks experience at times. Also there are Sleep disorders, and Seizure disorders which can cause anxiety and depression.

This exact same thing has happened to me once. I must admit it was very strange and very real. I have to write it up as Hypnopompia as it happened when I was waking out of a dream. Either way though, it sounds like it is Hypnogognia, which can cause a sensation of falling, sliding out of bed, or the bed moving, and may be associated with a hypnic jerk. .

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Why don't you just learn to have an OBE and keep trying to have one until you do? then you will have your own personal definitive answer that there is more than just this physical reality. If you think OBE's are a lot of BS then there should be no harm in trying it for yourself right? and if you give it a proper shot and at least half the dedication you give to your work, then i can pretty much guarentee you it will happen.

Science is based on Physics, and i'm sorry to tell you that the world is not purely physical, so there is only so much that physics can do.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by Eonnn]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Just found your link to this thread tonight, sorry I did not get to it sooner but its been a busy day. Well you know that most of what I talk about is sleep related stuff when it comes to paranormal, but I’ll give a shot at this other stuff too:

There is no way to tell if something like this is EMF related or not unless you got an EMF reading from it. If it does not happen anymore, then you may never know what it was. Good theories, which are more conventional then the paranormal route, for what you witnessed can include Earthlights, and Ball Lightning also known as ”Foo Fighters”. I also don’t see why it would not be possible for High EMF to cause a ball of light.

Thanks. See, i don't immediately go for the really outrageous explanations for stuff. I start with realistic options, if they don't fit the available data, then i gradually fan out, and get progressively more outrageous, until i reach a point where either there's no more options, or the option that best fits is so outrageous that it can't possibly be.

anyway, ball lightning has already been ruled out, earthlights seem to be an awful lot like ball lightning, and the foo fighters are UFO's..or, if you're into that kinda thing, a somewhat creepy band.

I think we kind of already covered this one in the other thread with the discussion of REM sleep, Stage One Sleep, and Hypnogognia. There is no way to tell if this was a dream or not as you mention that you were drifting in and out of sleep. It is entirely possible, especially if a person has been deprived of REM sleep recently, for that person to go rapidly into REM sleep, have a dream, and immediately wake up afterwards. If there were no outside witnesses or physical evidence to the contrary then that is what you should chalk it up to if your going to be objective about it. I agree that the content of this event would be disturbing, but still it is nothing that cannot be called a dream. I am often shocked myself about how real, and how logically thought out my dreams often are without there being a conscience effort on my own part.

Yeah, this is one or many theories. The reason i don't have a definitive answer on the issue is because i don't like thinking about it really, so i haven't ever really investigated it very throughly.

This is further proof that what you experienced was a REM stage dream, as waking to rapidly will cause you to be unable to move. When you dream your body emits a chemical which causes paralysis of the skeletal muscles, this is to prevent you from acting out your dreams, if you wake to rapidly from that stage that chemical sometimes needs a few seconds to clear out of your system. Though it may feel like it lasts for a long time, it passes in seconds in reality. Some folks experience hallucinations along with this paralysis, and be thankful you did not experience that as well, especially after that dream.

I'd call it "Evidence" over "Proof" myself. Without proper analysis in a lab, there's no way to actually prove anything. However, not to sound like a dope, i do acknowledge that under normal circumstances, this (sleep parallelization) DOES occur. I'm not sure if it was sleep paralysis, or just fear induced paralysis, kinda like a deer in headlights.

This can be standard anxiety, which I think most folks experience at times. Also there are Sleep disorders, and Seizure disorders which can cause anxiety and depression.

I personally don't think it's anxiety, as i don't present any other symptoms of anxiety on a regular basis. I do have short times where i am very obviously suffering from anxiety, but i'm not in that state at all times, so unless there's such a thing as chronic persistent partial anxiety, something else may be occurring.

This exact same thing has happened to me once. I must admit it was very strange and very real. I have to write it up as Hypnopompia as it happened when I was waking out of a dream. Either way though, it sounds like it is Hypnogognia, which can cause a sensation of falling, sliding out of bed, or the bed moving, and may be associated with a hypnic jerk. .

See, i might buy that if i were dozing off, or like half asleep when it happens, but this is when i'm wide awake, as in i've just laid down, and closed my eyes for a few seconds.

It's not a regular thing either, it's once in a while, so i'm not sure what the hell it is.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eonnn
Why don't you just learn to have an OBE and keep trying to have one until you do? then you will have your own personal definitive answer that there is more than just this physical reality. If you think OBE's are a lot of BS then there should be no harm in trying it for yourself right? and if you give it a proper shot and at least half the dedication you give to your work, then i can pretty much guarentee you it will happen.

Science is based on Physics, and i'm sorry to tell you that the world is not purely physical, so there is only so much that physics can do.

[edit on 30-6-2007 by Eonnn]

O,o

You're joking, right?

I assume you're talking about an "Out of Body Experience"

I don't believe in them, and even if i did, i don't see how one could possibly do anything to explain this thing...

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   

O,o

You're joking, right?

I assume you're talking about an "Out of Body Experience"

I don't believe in them, and even if i did, i don't see how one could possibly do anything to explain this thing...

no im not joking.

If you don't believe in them then there should be no harm in trying it right?
it will explain a lot of things, for one it will be indeniable truth that humans are more than just this physical reality, that there is more to life than we know, we don't just die and become nothingness. Also, there are many accounts of people who have had OBE's and learnt many things which they could not possibly of learnt in ordinary life.

People meet their dead relatives and such... it would give you your own proof that there is paranormal things going on in this world, things that are unexplainable, and thus, end your search.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eonnn

no im not joking.

If you don't believe in them then there should be no harm in trying it right?

No harm other than it being a waste of time. I don't have a lot of time, so i prefer not to waste it.

it will explain a lot of things, for one it will be indeniable truth that humans are more than just this physical reality, that there is more to life than we know, we don't just die and become nothingness.

Sorry, i don't buy that either. I'm not sure if ghosts are "Spirits" of dead people, or if they're just highly localized EM fields, but my personal belief is that there is no heaven, no hell, no god, and when you die, you're worm food....you don't continue on as some detached ethereal entity...

Also, there are many accounts of people who have had OBE's and learnt many things which they could not possibly of learnt in ordinary life.

Like maybe which of their suppliers had the best stuff?

Jokes aside, what exactly has been learned?

People meet their dead relatives and such...

I seriously doubt that.

it would give you your own proof that there is paranormal things going on in this world, things that are unexplainable, and thus, end your search.

Are you paying attention to me?

I don't need wild lunatic crap like out of body experiences to prove to me that paranormal events take place. I've witnessed first hand that such things exist, and i never implied that it didn't.

So how exactly would verifying that there are unexplainable things happening end my search?

do you see the very fundamental flaws in your logic yet?

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Ever since this happened, i CONSTANTLY have the feeling i'm being watched, it's only really noticeable when i'm alone.

This is what i am experiencing right now ..1:28am and night after night (on to 2 weeks+) i keep turning my back as if i am being watched..as for your things that goes bump in the night i have gotten up 4-5 times the last couple of hours as things are "bumping" in my kitchen..but no i have not seen anything but the feeling sucks.lol i have left my phone on recording in the kitchen..i will watch in day time..35yrs of age & i feel scared..nah
I REALLY AM..!!

I was about to post an experience which i have to & i opened your post as browsing ..this sucks now i ain't gonna sleep again.

If you find out any info let know what your opinion is on "being watched".

Cheers

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
hmm...lemme know how that turns out.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You consider those ideas to be psychotic when you and your buddies play swat team while investigating.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBurns
You consider those ideas to be psychotic when you and your buddies play swat team while investigating.

lol, and out of left field comes JBurns, with the baseless accusations...

Hi, how are you today. Care to offer up a little something to back up your little attack here?, or should i just call up a mod, and report you for trolling?

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   

anyway, ball lightning has already been ruled out, earthlights seem to be an awful lot like ball lightning, and the foo fighters are UFO's..or, if you're into that kinda thing, a somewhat creepy band.

I would like to know how you rule out ball lighting, considering it would be about the same thing as an intense electromagnetic field? Earth lights would also be about the same thing, but what causes it is different. All three should show up as a high static charge or field in the atmosphere; at least to my limited electronics knowledge.

“Foo Fighters” are not necessarily UFO’s they can also be static charge in the atmosphere, they were simply a name given to balls of light observed by pilots in WWII.

so unless there's such a thing as chronic persistent partial anxiety

Sure, there are folks who only get anxious before going to bed at night, there are folks who only feel claustrophobic in a dark bedroom, and there are many other types of anxiety related to sleep which only occur at certain times. These people don’t walk around having anxiety attacks all the time, but only when the mind detects certain criteria are present to cause anxiety.

See, i might buy that if i were dozing off, or like half asleep when it happens, but this is when i'm wide awake, as in i've just laid down, and closed my eyes for a few seconds.

This is exactly when Hyponogognia would hit though. It’s in stage one sleep, which is where you are not really asleep yet, but your mind is starting to slow down to sleep. You can only detect Stage One Sleep using a polygraph, and even then it is difficult. In the lab one way we tell Stage One is to look for Alpha Waves in the Occipital Lobe, and when that Alpha starts to drop out, that is where you start to look for stage one.

It's not a regular thing either, it's once in a while, so i'm not sure what the hell it is.

It does not have to be, you might only experience it once in your life, or you might experience it every night, I am not sure what would make you more susceptible to Hypnogognia, but I would imagine that increased time in Stage One Sleep might.

I don't need wild lunatic crap like out of body experiences to prove to me that paranormal events take place.

The problem with these OBE’s is that there is no good way to prove that they are anything more then a consciously controlled hallucination. While I will not begrudge folks the fact that it helps many cope with sleep paralysis, there is nothing to indicate that the experienced events are real.

Hi, how are you today. Care to offer up a little something to back up your little attack here?

Actually, I am somewhat curious about what you meant by a paranormal swat team, myself. That is like combining apples and oranges, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by qonone
This is what i am experiencing right now ..1:28am and night after night (on to 2 weeks+) i keep turning my back as if i am being watched..

Waking at the same time every night, especially around 12:00, 03:00, and 05:00 is a good sign that you may be having some form of sleep apnea. The reason it happens at these times is that they are REM periods, and position, especially supine, will add to the blockage of your airway.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

lol, and out of left field comes JBurns, with the baseless accusations...

Hi, how are you today. Care to offer up a little something to back up your little attack here?, or should i just call up a mod, and report you for trolling?

So when I dispute something you do/believe in, you call it an attack. When you dispute something I believe in, you call it an opinion. I see how it goes...

The fact is that you stated you were a "tactical" paranormal team leads me to believe that you run around in camouflage looking for ghosts. At least thats the mental image I get.

So feel free to contact a moderator if you feel my post was out of line. Afterall, I did nothing but state my opinion.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
"Tactically Trained" That means, as i stated in the opening post that we are trained on how to handle a situation in the event that it's not paranormal in nature.

Case in point, we were doing an investigation of a supposedly "Haunted" abandoned mental institution. While we did witness some strangeness, we did also encounter graffiti "artists" with crowbars, vandalizing the place. We had to quietly surround and stop them in a non-lethal fashion.

At any rate, your assertion was way off base. Next time you should ask if the image you have in your head is accurate, rather than just ridiculing someone based on ignorance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join