It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun setting more North than usual?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
first - these vague " feelings " based on hazy recoloections of where people thought the sun used to set , backed up by why do you think none of the millions of astronomers , both ametuer and profesional , who make sightings accurate to arc seconds have not reported anything amiss - are they all in on the conspiracy ?

And let's not forget the millions of amateur astronomers, like my friend's husband, who uses telescopes and takes photos of the moon and all. He'd be the first to yell if his manuals and tables weren't right.

also , almanacs stating sun and moon set and rise , and all other data tables - even thouse calculated / printed decades ago are all still 100% accurate

And don't forget fishermen! My dad fishes. So boatmen of any sort would have already been yelling at the newspapers that their times were wrong.

lastly - both the OP [ in the USA ] and melbourne malita [ australia ] are both reporting that the sun is " too far north " simetaneously

Good catch!

this is - to put it blunty , impossible - unless the shape of the earth has changed , and our planet now looks like a bananna , not a spheroid .

I had to laugh! This is true. And I'm pretty sure the earth doesn't look like a banana now!

When we were little, there were fewer people around and people were more aware of the sky and what was up there. I doubt if most young people now could find the Big Dipper or Scorpio or Leo, and I'm sure that almost none of them could find Taurus or Casseopia.

Here's some tools you can use to check sunrise and sunset:
www.earthtools.org...

More tools:
www.timeanddate.com...

And you can use the Old Farmer's Almanac to see that the times are pretty much the same for as far back as they go (moon won't be the same, of course, but the sun will):
www.almanac.com...

And there's old copies of this publication to show the website didn't tinker with the times predicted. And you can check it out by setting your alarm.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I haven't posted in a while, but when I saw this thread today I thought, "Ok, somebody else has seen this."

It seems that I've mentioned the fact that I am an artist in almost every thread I've posted in [if I were another ATS member I might take the opportunity to flame me for that], maybe it was to support why I believe a certain image or not, things of that nature. The point being, as in any area of professional specificity, I believe it is important to consider the observations of those whose very profession relies upon the daily study of such details as where in the sky the sun is positioned in relation to this or that object, at any given time of the day. This is true for me, personally speaking, as an artist.

I said all that to say I was indeed somewhat unnerved last mid-week when I observed what the OP has obviously seen, as well as others. I am in Texas, and I have zero affiliation with any of the ATS members outside of cyber-reality. How have we all noticed the same (almost ridiculous to admit) phenomenon? I'm not rallying for it; but is there a switch in my brain that I may somehow flip and it will reset my recent memories back to "normal"? Otherwise, since last week I've seen the sun drastically north of where I'm accustomed to seeing it at sunset.

And June is when I'm thinking (maybe in error?) the sunset should be almost due west.
TX-Time.

Peace & Prosperity.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I did a cursory search on GOOGLE for "Earth Wobble", this is one of the results that came up...

www.michaelmandeville.com...

Which may or not be relevent here.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
OptionToChoose :

no offence , but your skill / proffesionalism as an artist is IMHO irrelevant to this discussion

art is subjective NOT objective

you say that you noticed this shift , yes ?

well quantify it - " way north " how many degrees is that ?

and then tell me why no one who objectivly observes and catologues the apperance , behaviour and position of heavenly bodies

or relies on such data in a professsional capacity obsered anything untoward

you were wrong / mistaken / confused / muddled your bearings

it happens , get over it

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I am a chronic sunset watcher and the only times of the year that it rises due east and sets due west are on the equinoxes aka 21 March and 21 September. I know from my position its southerly most point at the winter solstice and its most northern at the summer solstice, just past from where I usually watch it and I have not noticed any change.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
mechanic 32 :

thanks for that link - very helpfull

please note that scientists are able to detect and record fluctuations of :

0.01 arc second

thats 1 one hundreth of an arc second

which for those who do not know - is 1/60th of an arc minuite

which in turn = 1/60th of a degree

yup - thats right - a precision of 1/ 36000 th of one degree

now look at a protractor - and just look how small one whole degree is

and people want us to believe that a scientific community which can measure accuratly anomolies of 1/36000 of that degree would miss or be able to cover up a shift of 10 degrees in the motions of the sun ?

[edit on 24-6-2007 by ignorant_ape]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Hello,
My first time at the site and this discussion caught my eye. So I guess I will give this post thing a try. My thought was simply this - if the sun setting point is changing, would not the rising also be different? Since it was just the Summer solstice and so many spots are watched all the time (i.e.: Stonehenge, Casa Grande and all over the world) wouldn't someone have said something about the mis-alignment?
Just a thought....

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I have always had a feeling that our sun's position is being manipulated by the illuminati for their own advantages. It just seems like it...I mean who else would want to mess with our sun? This could be what is creating global warming, and they must be using it as a tool against humanity.

You're ok, you know that???

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Hey, Ape:

Would you expect a dentist to pay more attention to teeth, in general, than the average hustling, bustling person? I would. And I would expect an artist (like I'm) to pay more attention to proper positionings of objects and people which said artist is accustomed to drawing/painting/contemplating. That's why, IMHO, the mention -- not the praise of -- but the mention of my profession was significant. I don't plan to withdraw that, ever. Save it.

Degrees north? Dammit, Ape, I'm an artist not a doctor*! It's approximately six sun-widths north of where I'm dam mad it ain't no mo!

And you know what? My confusion (my fav from your cute little limited list of my insanity choices) is likely to continue into the night, cuz I bet it won't be setting due west where my artist spirit has been trained for years to look for it this time of year...

Guess I could just move the easel across the street to paint the sunset's splendid glory, no big deal (door faces south) .

* PhD

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
And I don't mean I expected to see the sun setting literally due west, as I should not have said, just more to the south than where it sets now seems to be what I remember.

Again, not trying to prove a great thing has happened here, which would be pointless, just trying to tie the memory to the moment.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I haven't noticed it setting differently, but it seems like the days are getting longer to me, technically they are, but they seem alot longer than they have been in the last few years.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
OMG dude I was going to our local hardware store too and notice the big orange sun setting more north than usual too????? I thought "huh thats weird I never saw the sun that much north before then thought well maybe in the summer it does that every year but I never really payed attention to it before I guess. Also the moon keeps moving in the sky and getting bigger and smaller? wtf is up with that Ive read some stuff on that too and people had some theories but hey im not an astronomer so maybe its supposed to do that because Venus and mars are always in the same place when I look up in the sky......

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, as a regular photographer of sunsets, I can assure your that here in England the sun is setting exactly the same place it was this time last year and the year before that and the year before that ...... It's also rising in exactly the same place.

Maybe you have a different sun in Texas?

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
One of my interests (as everyone knows) is Native American rock art. Some of the rock art has "light markers" -- spots where "daggers" or "lines" of light appear on certain days.

One of these well-known places is Paint Rock, Texas:
www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com...

The solar markers are still there, haven't changed position (as they would if the sun was suddenly setting a lot more northward), and haven't changed the dates that they appear on.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
And yet, there may be some beef to this story...

I read this a few months back:

Inuit seek answers to Arctic sun quirks

Some Inuit say they hope scientists coming to Nunavut for research as part of International Polar Year can help shed light on changes they're seeing in the sun — particularly, how it's been showing up more often in the usually always-dark winters.

For the past several years, residents in the High Arctic have observed that the winter dark season is ending earlier than usual, with the sun coming up at a different place than what people are used to seeing.

"The people [are] talking about earlier sunrise, more light in the dark season, instead of being more total darkness than before," Grise Fiord resident Larry Audlaluk said Thursday, adding that he has heard similar observations from people in other Far North communities.

More...

[edit on 25-6-2007 by loam]

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
loam, thanks for that published insight, I was starting to think that the few of us who have noticed this have seen something which cannot be corroborated by anything other than my seemingly on-one-minute-off-the-next brain!

I'm prayin to God that we have the same sun in Texas as in other parts of the world, or else the problem is bigger than any of us may originally have thought. I respect that others have not observed this bizarreness, and I don't want them taken to the gallows for it, either. However, I and other wonderful humans across the globe seem to have noticed a glitch of some sort in reality, whether real or perceived, and I come to ATS to (hopefully) find answers, not get into fist fights.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptionToChoose
...I come to ATS to (hopefully) find answers, not get into fist fights.

No worries.

Sometimes an opposing view seems like a ‘fight’, but often it’s just more a function of how the medium (message boards) work. Denying ignorance requires questioning, as well as collaboration.

There are real nuggets of gold here if you search (and work) long enough for them.

I’m glad you contributed your observations. I’ll see what else I can find on the subject of the sun’s position and whether other reports have been made elsewhere in the world.

posted on Jun, 26 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
hmmm
a few days ago i was talking with my brother about how it seems that there is more daylight then usual this time of the year, the sun sets later then usual, like the days have gotten longer compared to previous years (i am talking about the same time of the year every year).
reading this thread, it looks like we are not the only ones who noticed something is wrong with the sun.

as pointed out, any changes in earth's axis or position would have been noticed by now in the science community. so, if the reality hasn't changed, then maybe our perception of it has?

Maybe due to climate change we are having more sunny days then usual in some parts of the world, so the brain is percieving that as "more daylight".
Or maybe due to some polutants in the air it appears that sunset has "shifted" or it lasts longer then usual. I dont know.

Whatever it is, it is being noticed by quite a few people, so it might be worth looking into, even if only to study the psychological effects of climate change and not to discover some global conspiracy to hide the fact that our sun has gone crazy

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I am glad someone else mentioned / asked about the sun riseing in a differant position. My neighbor, who is an early riser, mentioned he has noticed the sun rising differant over the last few years. At that time, I mentioned the sun setting in a differant position. Regardless, we kinda looked at each other with a "Huh?" look. I withheld this info so I could find out what some others think.

I'm not trying to stir anything, as it was just an observation. I like to take the telescope out once in a while too as I love looking at the stars and space, but life is almost too busy for me sometime, and when I think about it, I'm about 15 minutes to bed-time. I'm currently in school, and stay at home dad, so if ya know what that's like...

Anyways, all I wanted were some thoughts, which I have recieved. Nothing more, nothing less. Regardless if the sun is setting / rising differantly is really no matter of concern to me, as I can not do anything about it, or what I have noticed, and to let you all know, it's only in my mind about 1% of the time at best. I have other things to deal with, namily my family and job.

Speaking of which, I totally forgot to even take any pitcures for referance. Maybe soon, but again, I dont think about this much, as I really dont have time.

On a side note, I found ATS by mistake a while ago. In that time frame since I joined, I have found the members really cool (long timer's anyways) and love the discussions I find here daily, even if I dont sign in all the time.

Thanks again for all the input, and if you feel like keeping this disscusion going, I wont stop you (the ATS family). But I wont hold it to anyone if this thread dies out, which I know prefer...

Spoontoad

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Listen there aint no way the sun is setting any different than last year at this same exact time. Thats crazy talk.
Unless you are talking about the .0001 degree 24000 year wobble or whatever the numbers are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join