It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun setting more North than usual?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I hope this is in the correct forum, so feel free to move it if need be.

Over the last several years, it seems that the Sun, when setting, has been setting more "northernly" in direction vs. the standard Westerly setting. Does that make sence?

For example, here in Minneapolis, it was a perfect day & evening. I went to the local hardware store, which sits up on a hil, or at least a higher elevation than surrounding businesses. Anyways, it was about sunset here, and perfectly clear. Really, a beutiful sunset. But it seemed that when compared to standard "West", the sun was setting more north. I would say maybe 10 degrees to the right when looking West.

Maybe it's just me and it's always been like that, and I've never noticed it before where the sun truely sets, but then again, growing up I remember the sunn setting more in the true west direction, not 10 degrees off.

Any thoughts, comments, or opinions?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Doesn't the sun's setting position vary from season to season? I thought that was commonly known. Or do you mean more northernly compared to last year at the same time?

[edit on 24-6-2007 by halfmask]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoontoad
Over the last several years, it seems that the Sun, when setting, has been setting more "northernly" in direction vs. the standard Westerly setting.

Ok he's not talking about seasons, he's talking about years.(or she) And does the OP have any proof to this claim?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

Over the last several years, it seems that the Sun, when setting, has been setting more "northernly" in direction vs. the standard Westerly setting.

Ok he's not talking about seasons, he's talking about years.(or she) And does the OP have any proof to this claim?
I switched it to seasons assuming that the OP didn't know about the change with seasons and was going by vague memory, not actual recordings of data. This way if my assumption was true the question would be answered quickly. Then I asked "Or do you mean more northernly compared to last year at the same time?" for clarification.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
i too have realised some anomilies with the setting sun. My block of land goes exactly east to west in length so I get the setting sun over my backyard all year round.

I can see the differences off setting position by the shadows the sun creates over my backyard from the fences around it.

these shadows also affect where and how my grass grows.....more shade....more moisture....more grass. and yes, I too agree the sun has been setting further north this year, and I cant tell by the extra grass that has been growing....if that makes sense?

Does anybody else think that maybe the earth is already going through early stages of polar flip, but we are being kept quiet about it?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Dare I say planet X is throwing off our planet's path? Might need a new thread for that one...

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Well the earth's axis of rotation is usually something like 23.439 281 degrees off vertical (with respect to the plane of the solar system) and this causes the seasons. It wobbles slightly too, with centuries giving variations. I suppose if it was tilting more that would give the illusion the sun was setting more northerly.

Wiki on Axial tilt.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
i too have realised some anomilies with the setting sun...
Wasn't there a topic here on ATS a week or two ago, about the earths axis wobbling or something? If that is the case, the sun would have irregular setting coordinates.

-added with edit. Wobbling as in wobbling more then usual.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by halfmask]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Maybe my comment should be on another thread, but i just woke up at 2am because the COLD is unbearable here. Had to turn the heat on. By now, almost July, we would have overnight temperatures of 60's on the low end, and its got to be 40 at the most out there. Its freezing.
I definatly think something is going on. I dont know if its the sun, but there is something very wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I do remember that right after the tsuanmi it was said the planet was ringing like a bell and the axis had shifted. From what I read it shifted in a southerly direction, (just an example), what had been normal weather in Kansas had been moved to Texas.

I never heard whether it had shifted back or not.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Yes, I (a guy) am talking about the same time periods every year, not the seasons, and comparing this year, and last year, from what I remember from previous years. I dont have any "proof", as it's just something I been kind of noticing and thinking about over the last year, but never really gave it much thought. Just like another member posted above, I guess I've used referances such as buildings, streets, and landscape to bring me to the point that the Sun seems to be setting in a differant point at this time of year than in prevoius years.

I think I started noticing this about 5 years ago, and originally figured it was the time of year and the seasons as mentioned. But today, I had a very clear and perfect opportunity to look at the sun right as it was setting. There was also nothing in my way at the time, like usual when the sun sets (like my back yard and the trees and other buildings that partially cover up / hide part of the sun set.

I am thinking maybe I will take a picture of my back yard, which faces west, and take a picture of where I was at today (maybe when the sun is setting?) and show for referance .

Again though, maybe it's just me and I've never really paid much attention until now. I have heard the theories of the polar flop though. Also, when you look at some weather patterns, that has seemed to change as well, which we all know of. Within the last few days, Canada has had an outbreak of severe weather & tornado's, which is rare up there, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The seasons happen for a reason but other than that... no. the sun isn't moving around in space away from us etc, and the earths movements havn't different.

And yes the world is round

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I live ontop of a hill and can see all of port phillip bay, the bay on which Melbourne is situated on. Obviously I can see many landmarks, and over the years, the sun has been setting in exactly the same place for the time of year. Every single time.

In Winter here, the sun sets more to the north. In summer it sets more to the south. That is by atleast 10 degrees. Perhaps that is what you're seeing?

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I thought about this last night too, and when i saw the sun come up i could almost draw a 3 o clock or 10 til 3 arc (close to 87 degrees or so angle) to where I saw it set in my backyard and then come up this morning to the left of the front yard almost east side of the house, it also appears as though there is much more daylight than I can remember ?? but i did read an article on the earth's tilt, and a graph showing the wobble, it said the wobble has always been there but right after the tsunami the graph showed a drastic drift and tilt that continues to go much further out of bounds than had been recorded.

[edit on 24-6-2007 by phinubian]

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Dare I say planet X is throwing off our planet's path? Might need a new thread for that one...

I am pretty sure there is already a thread on that very subject... maybe one hundred threads.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I noticed it in the moon the other day as well. I suggested to other onlookers that it was about 10 degrees south of where it normally is. I spotted it first though being the observant person I am. He , he.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I too noticed a change in the moon lights direction via shadows.

It could be my imagination but it is different than years past. Unless my house and forrest have changed positions. LOL

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I have always had a feeling that our sun's position is being manipulated by the illuminati for their own advantages. It just seems like it...I mean who else would want to mess with our sun? This could be what is creating global warming, and they must be using it as a tool against humanity.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I've got a word for you: sundial.

Go and check out one nearby which you know has been there for some time. Does it still show correct time or not? If it does, then you're imagining things. If it doesn't, then you're on to something and you even have proof.

posted on Jun, 24 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
first - these vague " feelings " based on hazy recoloections of where people thought the sun used to set , backed up by

why do you think none of the millions of astronomers , both ametuer and profesional , who make sightings accurate to arc seconds have not reported anything amiss - are they all in on the conspiracy ?

and why do ` goto ` scopes and other automated / semi auto systems still locate celestial objects pefectly ?

also , almanacs stating sun and moon set and rise , and all other data tables - even thouse calculated / printed decades ago are all still 100% accurate

lastly - both the OP [ in the USA ] and melbourne malita [ australia ] are both reporting that the sun is " too far north " simetaneously

this is - to put it blunty , impossible - unless the shape of the earth has changed , and our planet now looks like a bananna , not a spheroid .

if the position of the earth - or its axis of tilt had altered - australia and the USA would see "mirror images " of the change in thier perceptions of the sunset / rise positions

lastly - transits and occultations would not occur as predicted if anything had " moved " - the last transits of venus occured precicely as calculated 100 years ago - and is predicted to re occur in 2012

not to be unkind - but i prrefer such scientific predictive / observational data to lay persons " feelings " and recollections

having said that - i am open minded

convince me that your claims are valid

[edit on 24-6-2007 by ignorant_ape]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join