It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS-117: Omnibus Thread

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I just saw a clip on CNN with the truss suspended by the Canada arm. I remarked to my husband how heavy that piece was, and wondered about the inertia of something that heavy.

I can see why the gyros would need to compensate.

Damn, I wish I could get the NASA channel on my cable.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I just looked at the video with the two whitish ellipses. They were clouds lit up by the sun no biggie... but neat. They should start doing the last parts of getting the spacewalkers ready. For those who can't get it on tv - try the web at www.nasa.gov/tv

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well, I looked at the wrong footage! LOL. Look what I found.

and frames further on:

And don't-cha-know NASA (Not Always A Straight Answer) switched to the World Map software display... the event occured at 1:36PM EDT and lasted approximately seventeen seconds. Things that make you go Hmmm. I will try and get a member to post the clip for me...

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 11-6-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the updates, Vic

Nice pics of the shuttle damage, too, past and present.

Speaking of clouds, what IS that white anomaly, in the
lower right corner, of the clip in your signature ??

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Very interesting picture.

Do you know if the image was taken by an external camera, or by someone shooting through a window with a hand held camera ?

It could be a lens glare either way, but possibly the reflection of a satellites solar panels that just happened to get in the picture.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jbird
Thanks for the updates, Vic

Nice pics of the shuttle damage, too, past and present.

Speaking of clouds, what IS that white anomaly, in the
lower right corner, of the clip in your signature ??

For Jbird, Please tell me what you think it is... (the "thingie" in my signature) it is interesting huh? Seems to move rather unconventially shall we say? Your thoughts? u2u me, if you'd like...

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Very interesting picture.

Do you know if the image was taken by an external camera, or by someone shooting through a window with a hand held camera ?

It could be a lens glare either way, but possibly the reflection of a satellites solar panels that just happened to get in the picture.

The camera is in the Atlantis shuttle payload bay... you can see the Ku (Kay-you) band antenna "dish" in the lower LH of the frame. What is it or it(s)? I hope to have a member upload the tiny clip of that sequence... it will take about a half hour for me to crop the clip from a copy of the master file... 'have a look at the video clip in context and see for yourselves... check back in a while.

The EVA is behind schedule a bit but no great concern now that the Truss is more secure and the CMG's are spun back up... airlock depress coming up.

Cheers'

Vic

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I just saw a clip on CNN with the truss suspended by the Canada arm. I remarked to my husband how heavy that piece was, and wondered about the inertia of something that heavy.

It has lots and lots of intertia. In general, if something's heavy it's also going to have a lot of intertia (depending on other factors, too.)

Damn, I wish I could get the NASA channel on my cable.

NASA's website has live feeds, thank the gods! Have you checked that out?

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

NASA's website has live feeds, thank the gods! Have you checked that out?

I do watch it in bits and pieces, but I only have 56k dial-up right now. I get a very stilted picture, but very good audio.

This thread has been great for letting me keep track of what is going on.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
My friend who has posted video for me before has gone offline... the clip is short so I tried to upload it as a wmv file type to ATS and the firewall here let me... gonna hafta talk to tech about that... I hope this works...

Finger-crossed,

Nope, no go, the ATS upload space doesn't accept the file extension I guess... could another member help who has a YouTube or Google Video account? Please u2u me... and I'll email it to you as a zip. Help?

Thanx,

Vic

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Things that make you go Hmmm. I will try and get a member to post the clip for me...

Still waiting on it, Vic. It's been 'processing' since 1:36. I'll get it on as soon as YouTube gets done with it. I'm checking it every 15 minutes.

Guys, I really have no idea why this is taking so long. The last video was much larger and took 1.25 hours. This one is 3.5 hours so far. Perhaps YouTube is unusually busy on Mondays. I don't have enough experience on YouTube to really know. It's only the second I've uploaded. Anyway, it IS on there and I'll watch it carefully for a few more hours.

[edit on 6/11/2007 by schuyler]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thanx schu'... no problem waiting here. I appreciate, and I'm sure others here at ATS appreciate your efforts
. The spacewalk although starting late seems to be going well with only one stuck pin that expelled "some metal shavings". There just getting "into the meat" of the work now.

A surprise. A post MMT (Mission Management Team) briefing at 8:00PM Easterm that was NOT announced in the timeline and may be worth watching what Mission Manager John Shannon has to say about the blanket "lift" issue and whether any, and what type of repair might be attempted.

There is a concern for the exposed 10cm x 15cm section of honeycomb carbon base structure. Be sure to see if they mention any dissenting engineering positions and how Mike Sufredini and Team 4 made out wiith possible EVA alterations for the contemplated "repair". Pins and plates are the working possibilities for any extensive fix. A minor fix would be just to tuck the 2 inch thick blanket down and pin it if it doesn't stay "flat".

There is a regular NASA Mission Status Briefing News Conference scheduled for 11:00PM or so; they are often delayed when events on-orbit run longer than exected as with today's CMG station stability hiccup. Stay tuned.

Try NASA-TV or www.nasa.gov...

Thanx again schu'

Cheers,

Vic

EDIT: A quick update the 8:00PM surprise MMT Briefing can be viewed on NASA Media TV:
www.nasa.gov... (the NASA Media link is not "up" at 7:56PM EDT)

The spacewalk will be on NASA-TV:
www.nasa.gov...

EDIT: 8:39PM EDT: I can't get the MMT briefing on the NASA Media channel... I think that meeting may have been important... workin' on it.

Vic

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
At 9:05PM EDT it would seem that neither the NASA Media Channel for Windows or for Realplayer was put out to the internet... even though it was anounced on the NASA-TV public channel.

I suspect that a mission extension of 2 days will be added for a repair to the OMS pod blanket "lift" as some honeycomb is exposed. I 'd think pins and wire ties will be the fix no earlier than EVA 3 on Friday or on an unscheduled EVA 4 no earlier than Sunday.

Vic

EDIT: Two Day Mission Extension Is On! A fourth EVA added! NASA Link.

Vic

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I just watched the ISS/Shuttle go by, my first visual sighting.
June 11/07 @22:58-23:03
heavens-above.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It's actually noticeable in shape isn't it? Just after sunset if it passes over it is very easy to see all lit up by the sun. My next chance in Toronto is:
ISS Tue Jun 12/00:31 AM EDT 2min duration 31 10 above NW 31 above N .

If others would like to see for themselves try the NASA ISS Sighting page and plug in the country and nearest city. Enjoy! spaceflight.nasa.gov...

And to see where ISS/Atlantis is realtime try their java map: spaceflight.nasa.gov...

The Mission Staus Briefing is on now at 11:30PM on NASA-TV online... more in a bit.

Vic

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Concerning the 'spray' from the ET mentioned earlier, here's some
related info I found while searching something else, FWIW.

members.tripod.com...
When the Space Shuttle jettisons the ET, there are from 5 to 20 tons of residual fuels remaining in the tank, and something has to be done with them (Fitch, 1997)...
When the hydrogen and oxygen in the ET are nearly consumed and the vehicle is just short of velocity, the orbiter’s main engines cut off (MECO). A vent valve at the top of the external tank opens and oxygen escapes through the nose cap. A few seconds later the tank is disconnected, the venting oxygen causing it ti pitch away from the orbiter and start to tumble.

The spray highlighted in your examples seem to be originating between the
Liquid Oxygen (LOX) Feedline Bellows area, and the previously mention 'nose cap' valve,
basically ruling out those two possible sources.
If not a feed line from the nose cap valve,
then I'm stumped as to a 'natural' cause for the spray, as well.
Too bad Valhall, has gone missing. Maybe she could have shed some light on this release, location, eh?

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I just finished watching the post-MMT briefing news conference that I was unable to view earlier. A sample of blanket was show by John Shannon and he demonstrated that the blanket sample although thinner than the 2" thick OMS pod blanket could be straightened "flat" and stay that way without much "memory"... he mentioned stainless steel thread and pins... stainles will take the heat in that area no problemo.

The EVA "Tiger Team"; Team 4 led by Mike Sufredini will be at the briefing tomorrow and will do a show and tell on the repair technique selected, scheduled time is 6:00PM EDT and a decision as to when the activity will be added on EVA 3 or a special EVA 4.

They are writing software for the Canadarm to be able to fine tune the control of the astronaut way out on the end of it held in a PFR (Portable Foot Restraint) with the Canadarm at near full extension.

The balance of the TPS (Thermal Protection System) is A-OK. With no concern for wing leading edge RCC (Reinforced Carbon-Carbon) or nosecap. There is a "tadpole gap filler" sticking up about 0.70" and will not require "plucking". There are a few other minor dings and scratches on the belly near the ET "door" where the main propellant connection is made to the ET.

The blanket "came up" at T - plus 61 deconds and was captured on the LH SRB video, also one of the RCS Tyvek covers passed near the OMS pod but did not strike it clearly shown from ground photography.

The Mission Timeline has changed and NASA will post a Rev D delta PDF shortly...2 days will be slotted in between day 8 and day 9.

For night owls, the solar array installed on the truss today will be partially deployed at about 4:30AM EDT.

The crew is due to wake at 9:08AM EDTalthough that may be adjusted a bit owing to timeline changes... 15-30 minutes either way.

Tomorrow the new solar arrays will be deployed in stages, wires and grommets and electrostatic stiction willing... and will take most of the day... Forrester and Swanson will start their their "airlock camp out" tomorrow night in preparation for EVA 2 on Wednesday.

Some Pics from the post-MMT briefing:

Gap fillers and belly damage:

Blanket related pics:

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 12-6-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
It's actually noticeable in shape isn't it? Just after sunset if it passes over it is very easy to see all lit up by the sun. My next chance in Toronto is:
ISS Tue Jun 12/00:31 AM EDT 2min duration 31 10 above NW 31 above N .

If others would like to see for themselves try the NASA ISS Sighting page and plug in the country and nearest city. Enjoy! spaceflight.nasa.gov...

And to see where ISS/Atlantis is realtime try their java map: spaceflight.nasa.gov...

The Mission Staus Briefing is on now at 11:30PM on NASA-TV online... more in a bit.

Vic

It was a thrilling site to say the least and my first.
It was half as bright as venus at least but too far north to observe distinct shapes, though I thought I could make out the solar panels with the binoculars but vaguely

but I missed a direct fly over last night at 00:32 where I could have seen it properly
DOOH!

If your in toronto based on the web page info you see what I see
here is what I mean, June 12, 21:42-21:47
heavens-above.com...

June 12, 23:18-23:23
heavens-above.com...

[edit on 12-6-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
With a little luck and some hard work it shoud be even easier tonight as the solar arrays to be deployed today will add considerably to it's size as they are 240 feet long approximately. This will take most of the day and may require a spacewalk assist (tomorrow) if the deploy "hangs up" as happened on STS-116.

The crew was awoken with Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" at 9:08AM EDT. A routing box problem caused an alarm overnight, but is not serious and the crew on Atlantis, killed the alarm and went back to sleep. This has happened before and was fixed on STS-121 by switching out a laptop.

At 9:13PM EDT tonight there will be some MSM on-orbit interviews will the crew, and be sure and keep a eye out for the Team 4 report on the spacewalk timeline modifications and additions regarding the blanket "lift" repair on either EVA 3 or EVA 4.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We should see it really well tonight
www.abovetopsecret.com...

My friend and I are going out tonight.

yesterday was a great day watching NASA TV and then seeing my first flyby

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Awesome Jungle'!!! See if you can snatch us a pic with your telescope? That'd be neat (my crappy 1970's Tasco does not have a camera attachment. The copper/gold coloured arrays should be seen as sort of an extra-twinkle at either end. Cheers and good hunting!

Vic

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join