It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Implantable Chip Placed In Your Gut *Shocks* You If You Overeat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Source

Really disturbing. Seems like this is overkill. Here's a main snippet from the article itself:

The first bites of pizza fall into your eager stomach. All feels great, until you grab that extra slice and your gastric pacemaker awakens.

The tiny device, which doctors sewed onto your gut, watches what you eat. Whenever you overindulge, a faint shock makes you too ill for more.

Science fiction? No. The gastric pacemaker exists, and it’s just one of many medical prototypes that run on microchips from Texas Instruments Inc.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I think i'll stick with a good diet and exercise and

be happy with that. I dont need to be zapped with a volt of electricity- neither should anyone else. This is ridiculous, but hey, whatever floats the boat, you know?

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It may help some folks, but I would bet that if you're desperately hungry you'll find a way to trick the thing. As I recall, avoidance stimulus has been used in a number of things and not always successfully. For instance, it doesn't work on sexuality (an old "cure" for homosexuality (which did not work) was based on the same thing.)

The other devices mentioned in the article are interesting. I'm particularly interested in the bionic arm.

Many thanks for the link!

new topics

join