It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone tell me what this is in Baghdad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Browsing Google maps and came across this is it the new US embassy in Baghdad or something entirely different? The arcitecture is really strange to me and it is huge! And of course up above but not connected to it are several interesting planes...

i182.photobucket.com...

Thanks for any info!

[edit: image size]
Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
that looks 100% pnotoshopped

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The second image is of the "Tomb of Unknown Soldier", I would assume the first image is some sort of static aicraft display. (?)

[edit: to add]

NO, RedDragon, it's Not photoshopped at all. Here are the coordinates, see for yourself.

33 18' 30.29" N
44 23' 20.27" E

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

The second image is of the "Tomb of Unknown Soldier"

Here is a ground image.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Nice Pictures,

I found the intricate patterns in the "Aircraft Display" quite interesting, if you have a look around using Google maps you can see some more of these patterns but without the Aircraft.

Does anyone know if these have a particular meaning or relevance?????

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Forgive my ignorance but I always thought the tomb of the unknown soldier was in Washington DC with all the other memorials etc. They have one in Baghdad as well?

Maybe the pattern/layout means nothing from the ground but looks interesting/unique when viewed from a sattelite.

If you think its photoshopped in any way to to google maps yourself and type in Baghdad and zoom in to ground level and have a look around...

Thanks for the replies!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnt3kgt
Forgive my ignorance but I always thought the tomb of the unknown soldier was in Washington DC with all the other memorials etc. They have one in Baghdad as well?

There is a "unknown soldier" memorial in just about every nation. The "Tomb of Unknown Soldier" in Iraq has nothing to do with any American solder.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Oh forgot to mention I was looking around on google maps in the first place because of this story about our gigantic compound/embassy we just built over there.

www.cnn.com...

I guess we only have a entrance strategy

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks Umbrax for the info and the wiki link! I had no idea there were so many of them, the one in Baghdad seems huge.

So anyone have a link to images of the new embassy?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
No prob tnt3kgt.
Your CNN link shows an image from May 19th of some cranes working on the embassy. I'm guessing that it isn't completed yet.
You can also try googling "new us embassy iraq"

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Guess its not this other funky looking structure then.

I thought it would look more elaborate and I didnt even notice the cnn link has a plain jane looking brick building under construction.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Google Maps/Earth images can be as old as three years. It isn't real time satellite images. It is unlikely you will see anything in regards to the embassy with Google maps.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Nope. That would be a "Martyrs monument"

Here's a better view.

www.panoramio.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I thought it would look more elaborate and I didnt even notice the cnn link has a plain jane looking brick building under construction.

That would be Saddam Hussein who made this elaborate memorial to the Iraqi soldiers. Far more grandiose to what the U.S. has.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Dude, Baghdad has some spiffy looking architecture!! Those things look really cool. I wish we could have neat-o looking stylized buildings like that. Or maybe we do and I just haven't taken notice?

The St. Louis Arch is a pretty stylized construction... but at the moment, I can't think of any others.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hmmm an entire structure dedicated to martyrs? As in lets honor the suicide bombers etc?

I totally forgot about the maps being 2-3 years old, your right found my house and it is a very old photo as well.

In the cnn article it said something to the effect that the leaked photos were a security concern but not any more than google earth would reveal...

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Hmmm an entire structure dedicated to martyrs? As in lets honor the suicide bombers etc?

Err..no.

It is a monument to the Iraqi soldiers who died Iran-Iraq war.
A Martyr is anyone who dies for any belief, principle, or cause. Usually but not exclusively this is in a religious context.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
umbrax beat me to it. its the equivalent of our vietnam memorial. Its a monument for those who died in the Iran/Iraq war.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The second image is not tomb of the unknown soldier, unless Baghdad has changed significantly between the photo of the ground picture and the arial shot.

In the ground photo we can see buildings directly proceeding the circle that encompasses the unknown soldier. From the arial photo there are no such buildings around.

Edit: I see now. It appears to be consistent with the markings and architecture of the tomb of the unknown soldier, although I can not make a connection between the arial picture and the buildings in the immediate vicinity displayed on the ground photo.
Honest mistake? Nice work

[edit on 2-6-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedDragon
that looks 100% pnotoshopped

Gotta love how the first thing out of anyones mouth these days is 'Photoshopped', without even any evidence to back up the statement!!
Hey wrong thread, should be debunking ufo's!!

There is a tomb of 'The unknown soldier" in most country's, ironic really.

mojo.

new topics

top topics

join