It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble to Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have wondered for some time why we don't use Hubble to look very close up at stars in our solar system. Why do we never see a close up of any surface of any planet near us?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
They've used it to take pictures of Jupiter and Saturn. But for Mars, the moon, and the sun they're all too close. You wouldn't be able to see anything. Hubble needs a pretty good distance to be able to see anything clearly.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
but they have pictures of Mars from Hubble - but why cant they get a close up of any of these surfaces?

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Hi Rezial666, the only star in our solar system is our Sun. As far as planets goes the hubble has looked at our neighbor planets.

Hubble looking at Mars

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Stari, I stand corrected...

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rezial666
but they have pictures of Mars from Hubble - but why cant they get a close up of any of these surfaces?

I'm sorry, I need to start hitting my refresh button more often. That is the best image of Mars that Hubble is capable of taking. This is why we send orbitors to the planets to get better resolution images of the surface of the planets.

The latest orbitor that has gone to Mars is Mars MRO. If you like close ups of Mars from orbit this site is good.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Here's another good MRO site:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

This one is run by the University of Arizona, who provided the large HiRISE high-resolution imaging camera for the MRO. They are the ones who are processing the images from MRO as they are received.

There are many high-res photos of mars on this site, although some of the highest resolution are HUGE and it takes special software to handle them.

top topics

join