It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop and quiz powers considered for uk police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Stop and quiz powers considered for uk police

news.bbc.co.uk

Police would stop and question rather than stop and search
The government is considering giving police officers across the UK "stop and question" powers under new anti-terror laws, says the Home Office.
The proposal, allowing police to ask people about their identity and movement, is among measures being considered by Home Secretary John Reid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Brilliant news, more powers for the UK police to treat everyone on the streets as a terorrist! This is really getting out of hand in the UK. Im all for giving the police powers to work effectively, but this seems totally over the top.

I cannot think of one situation where this would help matters. Whatever happened till innocent until proven guilty?

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2ciewan

Whatever happened till innocent until proven guilty?

news.bbc.co.uk

What? have you not seen "life on mars"

Britain is going back to the 70's (At last)!

Gene Hunt is a typical Copper

The world is full of Crap, Terrorists, Religious freeks, Selfish people and LIES ETC!!!!!!

There was a BBC survey conducted recently about which decade you would like to live and most people chose the 60's I wonder why?

Think about it?

TQ

posted on May, 26 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Wait?!? you guys are just getting to this point NOW? Here in the US the police can actually detain you for up to 24 hours before even charging you with a crime.

land of the free indeed.

[edit on 5/26/2007 by whatukno]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
so whats the deal with racial profiling? if they have no reason to question you initially how are they choosing who they stop and "talk" to? do they even have laws against racial profiling in the UK? and suppose they stop me, can i plead the UK's version of the 5th amendment (excuse my being american, im not up on UK laws)?... and if i say nothing can they arrest me for nothing? i dont understand what this law is going to do, no terrorist is going to tell you his plans if asked, even if asked very nicely.

[edit on 5/27/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yeah, get used to it I'm afraid.

The chances of catching a criminal for terrorism this way are negligable.

They'd have to stop literally millions of people to catch one potential terrorist!:

Home Office Statistics for "other offences" (29 listed)

It's about a Police State, what else. This is the power they want, to treat everyone as a suspect and arrest anyone they feel is guilty of anything. If you don't like it, write to your MP, take action. Stand up for your civil rights.

And yeah, the days of "inoccent until proven guilty" are long gone.

Proposals to allow police to stop and question anyone in the UK under new anti-terror laws have been criticised.

Updated BBC article here 16.10 GMT 27.5.07

And so the civil rights issues continue...........

edit: added update

[edit on 27/5/2007 by nerbot]

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And yeah, the days of "inoccent until proven guilty" are long gone- Did these days ever exist?? These powers are hard to comment on if it stops violent attacks and other crimes then great but i don't really see how it will. Either way nobody is really going to care apart from the human rights groups who are ridiculed by the vast majority of the Uk population. There will be no marches. The apathy in this country is extradionary.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Don't worry the apathy in all countries is extrodinary. Maybe it's something in the water.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
And yeah, the days of "inoccent until proven guilty" are long gone- Did these days ever exist?? These powers are hard to comment on if it stops violent attacks and other crimes then great but i don't really see how it will. Either way nobody is really going to care apart from the human rights groups who are ridiculed by the vast majority of the Uk population. There will be no marches. The apathy in this country is extradionary.

We face the same problems here in the United States. I'm just one person, but I'm doing what I can to call attention to it. I'll have more to say about this after we celebrate our Memorial Day, but you can be rest assured that you're not alone in the way that you think.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
its already begun, seems our rights arent gonna be long before we have none and are drones to work, our local community support officer another name for a cheap toy cop stopped me the other night at 11pm asking me what i was doing and where i was going, i replied if u look further than your nose and look 2 ft below u will see im walking the dog, she then asked me if i was concealing any kind of sharp objects, to this i told her to get bent and would be reporting her to the local police station for harrassment of me walking my dog, where do these people get there power trips from??? i assume she was new and thinks shes gonna clear up our village of crime and dog walkers....lol
im sadened by how fast society is falling away and hardly anyone is shouting or doing anything about it, our government is as bent as 2 bob watch, the mp`s are doing what they are told and taking back handers who do we turn to? isnt there a replacement for government?...lol i have a spare zx spectrum that can do there job...

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well...James...today is memorial Day in the United States. As we remember our military dead, we are also asked to ponder the value of our freedom. We watch what goes on in the U.K. with some interest because much of what you expereince eventually happens here. I am hopeful that when the American ATS community comes back, they'll be willing to hear from you and other Britains.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is frightening. In the US, the reasonable suspicion standard is sufficient to allow the police to question a person 99% of the time. Is there such an urgent need for this new power?

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Oh I have already written to my MP, demanding that this legisltation be stopped before it Even comes in to LAW. Alot of innocent people are going to victimised out of this legislation.

Mind you my MP is in the Labour party so fat chance of him doing anything to railroad it. Oh do not worry when push comes to shove, you will see marches later not sooner.

All this will do is alienate communities, and it will bacfire. The poll tax riots over in the UK years ago, will be exactly like than only time tens worse. The UK public as a whole will only take so much before it snaps. The Gov is playing a very dangerous game with the electorate, if brown who is the nect PM, has any commonsense he will shelve this legislation, or vote it down, before it is too late.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
This is frightening. In the US, the reasonable suspicion standard is sufficient to allow the police to question a person 99% of the time. Is there such an urgent need for this new power?

I think you're going to see the next U.S. President insist on this authority to enact a deliberate search or "sweep" program to actively go looking for terror groups on American soil. they may not ask for it directly. It may come as a 'request' from the Justice Department, from the desk of the Attorney General.

when government becomes intrusive...which it would in this case...it won't matter where you live. Bad policy is bad policy, no matter what country you live in. When viewed from the PoV of the social and political elites, this type of thing is good for them, so they'll want it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The most real of real conspiracies is going on right in ront of us. The threat of centralized power endangers us all.

My hope is that Americans and Britains alike with keep writing well-thought essays and letters. We don't have to foam at the mouth to make our point. We do have to keep talking about this like adults so that more people will be made aware of it. Cosnpirators fear the truth. Let's give them something to be afraid of.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
They might ask, but that would require disregarding the accepted interpretation (academic, historical, and jurisprudential) of the Fourth Amendment. I sincerely doubt that the Supreme Court would take that step. This is not to be cheeky, but I am not yet one who thinks that society is collapsing around us and that people are within seconds of disregarding laws. The facts, instead, seem to show the opposite.

new topics

top topics

join