It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio lethal injection takes 2 hours, 10 tries

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure I see the problem, either.

It doesn't matter if it took two hours or two weeks. The result is the same. And it's not a lot of time compared to the amount of time the guy will be dead, which is billions of years and then some.

The nice thing about death is that it pretty much instantly nullifies all of the time the person was alive. And that goes for you and me, too. We can mourn a little kid who dies at the age of two, and less for a 90 year old man, but the result is essentially the same.

Dead. Whatever.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
Dead. Whatever.

Oh, you cheery little ray of sunshine.

So basically, since we're all eventually dead anyway, what's the point of life, eh? Nihilism is exhausting, isn't it?

(2 points to me for Big Lebowski reference)

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
As others here have mentioned, I'm not seeing the issue either. Years ago when I had my apendectomy, it took 3 nurses and at least a dozen tries to get a good line in my hand. Their comments ranged from "Wow, you have tough skin.", "The veins keep rolling off to the side.", and "Damn, missed it again." Finally the charge nurse came in and got it on the first try.

Now if he were being executed via the electric chair and it took 2 hours and 10 tries, THEN I would say there's Definitely a problem. Houston.

As it was, he didn't seem to be protesting or suffering as a result of such.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Bad? The job was finshed, so who cares how long it took?

Oh wait, we wouldn't want the criminal to be uncomfortable

The only thing bad about that is that it wasted the person giving him the shot's time. They had better things to do then try and kill the guy for 2 hours.

[edit on 25/5/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Sad, But these things happen

* The guy might have been a junky with poor veins?

This is why we should save the death penalty for those who really deserve it:

1. Child Molesters
2. Child Murderers
3. Serial Killers
4. Vicious Killers
5. People who will kill again
6. Wait a minute isn't that what it already is?

[edit on 25-5-2007 by Royal76]

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
How can a person be happy to die, perhaps he had some mental issues.

The public consensus at the moment is that a person has to be crazy not to want to live, no matter how bad things are. I am personally not of that opinion, and it has certainly not always been the public consensus in the past. Suicide has frequently been seen as a perfectly valid act, whether the motivation was personal or political.

If you've had a generally protected life, and have never had to worry much about your security or well-being, then you might not have noticed that life is a series of horrors driven by pain, occasionally punctuated by fleeting moments of joy, which is destined to end badly. People generally either ignore this reality, or they work hard to create and maintain an illusion of some kind of benevolent supernatural entity at work, which will either save them from suffering, or somehow make it all worth it in the long run. In some ways, you can't blame them.

So you tell me. What makes more sense? Wanting to simply end your existence, or wishing to remain locked in a brutal cage for decades until you are either murdered yourself, or die at the end of a painful, miserable old age (like the rest of us, only locked in a cage)?

Tough choice?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You know looking at the picture of the man he looks like somebody that with mental problems, too happy.

Well a group of inmates are suing now because they see this as cruel treatment, I wonder if they will win.

Still the execution team has to answer as why it took so long to put him to death, at least it should have been done by a more experience team if problems were to be found because his weight.

Seems that the problems with injections has also affected other states and they are no in hold until the procedures can be examined.

The only comment was, n a statement read by a lawyer after his death, Newton, 37, apologized to Brewer's family and his own. But the only thing Newton said in the death chamber was: "Yes, boy, I could sure go for some beef stew and a chicken bone. That's it.".

That hardly explain his state of mind under the ordeal, actually to me this shows that this man had some mental issues.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I didnt see anyone say anything about this, but if he was a heavy intravenous drug user before he was jailed, he probably had mass amounts of collapsed veins. He was on death row people, not leading a church band. Do we know what caused him to be there? Maybe he tortured a family to death or something just as heinous. If that is the case, then a couple hours to find a vein to kill him with is no big deal in my book.

Silver

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Actually, he killed another inmate over a chess game.

"I said Knight to King TWO, you bastard!" Carnage ensues.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
Do we know what caused him to be there? Maybe he tortured a family to death or something just as heinous. If that is the case, then a couple hours to find a vein to kill him with is no big deal in my book.

From the article,

He was put to death for beating and choking cell mate Jason Brewer, 27, in 2001 after they argued during a chess game. He had slammed Brewer's head onto the floor, stomped his throat and cut a piece from his orange prison suit to strangle him.

I'm not sure as to what his original conviction was for, but ... all that over a chess game. (?)

Here's hoping they've since found peace, to include the beef stew and chicken bone.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Still the execution team has to answer as why it took so long to put him to death, at least it should have been done by a more experience team if problems were to be found because his weight.

The answer is... he had terrible veins. Sometimes on some people the only reason you are able to get a line is sheer luck.

That hardly explain his state of mind under the ordeal, actually to me this shows that this man had some mental issues.

Sounds like he had accepted and was comfortable with the fact he was about to die.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
Dead. Whatever.

Oh, you cheery little ray of sunshine.

So basically, since we're all eventually dead anyway, what's the point of life, eh? Nihilism is exhausting, isn't it?

(2 points to me for Big Lebowski reference)

Well, death does tend toward the nihilistic, with that whole negation and nullifying thing happening. All of our hopes and dreams and good actions ultimately meaning nothing, after all. Oh, I guess there's the slim possibility of that whole "God" thing, but I've never run across any convincing evidence for that bit of fantasy.

I personally tend to try and focus on the brief bits of happiness and joy this life actually has to offer, since death doesn't really offer you much to hang your hat on. So I guess that makes me more of a hedonist than a nihilist. And except for the necessity of making a living, I think I agree more with Cyrenaicism than Epicurianism.

As for the central figure of this minor tragedy, the condemned prisoner, I suspect he was unfamiliar with those philosophical distinctions.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thank you SuicideVirus. Just because he has accepted death, does not mean he is crazy. I have accepted death but I'm not crazy (atleast that's what I think...). In life, the worst and best thing that can happen to anyone is death. I really look forward to it, and everyone should. Think about it. People who say have had NDE before only come out with positive accounts about it.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
As mentioned previously,I think a firing squad is the best idea.Hard to screw up shooting someone in the heart or head when they can't evade it.I know the brutality of shooting someone is a turnoff for some,but in most cases the prisioner probably inflicted greater brutality than a simple gunshot,or simply shot a innocent to death.

Either way,aslong as there is undisputed evidence I say line'um up!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Interesting

The man was convicted for burglarizing his father home, but the death sentence came after he killed another inmate.

www.sanduskyregister.com...

He burglarized his father's home in 1999, he intentionally left a handprint behind so he would be caught and sent to prison. In November 2001, he stomped, strangled and drank the blood of his Mansfield Correctional Institution cellmate, 27-year-old Jason Brewer. He refused to cooperate with investigators unless they sought the death penalty against him.

I still think he was a mental case.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Just to chime in, yes he killed a guy over a chess game while in jail. As for the electric chair, Ohio retired Old Sparky a few years ago in 2001. Yes that was the actual name of their chair.

312 people have died by that the only electric chair in Ohio including Charles Justice, an inmate that helped build the chair 13 years earlier. Ohio's last electrocution was 1963 eventhough the option was there from 1981-2001. The chair was outlawed and retired because of a prisoner choosing it to use as a dramatic point to his claim of innocent of being the first person executed in Ohio since 1963.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I still think he was a mental case.

I guess that's something for the experts to debate. However, he's definitely not someone you'd want to engage in a lively game of Monopoly.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
SuicideVirus,

I agree I guess he will be playing quite a bit where he is going, so is not more electric chairs used anymore in any state that supports death sentence?

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Why don't they just go back to the good old fashioned firing squad?

That always works
Right!And it would'nt have taken 2 and a half hours!Actually there are many sories of botched executions in the U.S. going back a long time.I remember a documentary about such explaining that a western outlaw(blackjack ketchum)gained so much weight in jail while awaiting his date with the gallows that when they hung him his head was ripped from his body!!

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Bring back the GUILLOTINE!!!

Than we only need to supply wicker baskets. Keeps costs down to a minimum, heck even save money on smaller caskets.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join