It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whay is Masonry Labeled a "secret Spciety?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
After stuying masinry for awhile now I relized there are at least half a dozen books with a full, acurate description of the ritual available at most libraries or bookstores, and about the same number of websites exposing the craft. With all this information in the public domain about the craft, why is it considered a secret society? What's the big deal?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Good Question ! If I belonged to a secret society why would I have its emblem on my cars, wear its ring and show up at its scheduled meeting that are printed in the local newspaper ?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It is not a secret society. It is a society that has secrets. This has been written in 10,000 places, and universally ignored.

For centuries, Chinese fathers have done this to their sons:
"What color is that horse, Junior"
Junior: "Brown, father"
Papa shakes his head and walks away, until Junior the day says
"Brown, Father. On this side"
On that day, father doesn't have to worry about Junior any more.

Masonry is hardly a secret. Every hamlet with 500 souls has a lodge, big visible symbols on the outside. The secrets are on the inside. The rituals, recognition signs and passwords published are a tiny percentage of the rituals, recognition signs and passwords used.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is a question I always ask. There are hundreds, literally, of books written detailing what the Masons believe, et cetera. I have put it down to the fact that people are too lazy to actually take the time and read the information out there. Masonry is not a "secret" society or whatever.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My sentiments are the same as those above me..

Questions about Masonry

This is a good thread with alot of answers in it, check it out and you may answer a question or two by just reading it.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My answer is

1. Secrecy is one of the fundamental tenets of freemasonry.

Even though some (or perhaps all) of the freemasons secrets have leaked out, they were not supposed to have leaked out. If every freemason rigidly adhered to the tenets of masonry, the secrets that are commonly known would still be secret. To draw an analogy, there may be one or two Roman Catholic priests who are secretly atheists. You cannot say the Roman Catholic church is an organization that promotes atheism because of the beliefs of the small number of atheist priests. Similarly, you cannot call freemasonry open because a small number of masons revealed the ritual.

2. Freemasonry uses secrecy for secrecy's sake.

Many organizations maintain secrecy, but the secrecy serves some very real practical purpose. For example, a corporation may keep technology secret so it can have an advantage over the competition. The military may keep its plans secret so as not to give the enemy any idea to what it is doing. Secrecy in masonry does not really serve a highly practical purpose, but exists largely for its own sake. The secrecy element of masonry adds to the mystique of masonry and makes the members feel special to be part of an elite group. Perhaps one can argue the secrets can secrets can serve as modes of identification, but more is kept secret in freemasonry than just secret handshakes and passwords. Other than that, the secrets serve no real useful purpose.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
This is a question I always ask. There are hundreds, literally, of books written detailing what the Masons believe, et cetera. I have put it down to the fact that people are too lazy to actually take the time and read the information out there. Masonry is not a "secret" society or whatever.

I agree absolutly.

As I've spoken to Rock before about this same thing regarding my Father.

It's as simple as this, If You Don't Ask, You Don't Get..

All You need is a little civility and respect and people WILL answer your questions.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
My answer is

1. Secrecy is one of the fundamental tenets of freemasonry.

Even though some (or perhaps all) of the freemasons secrets have leaked out, they were not supposed to have leaked out. If every freemason rigidly adhered to the tenets of masonry, the secrets that are commonly known would still be secret. To draw an analogy, there may be one or two Roman Catholic priests who are secretly atheists. You cannot say the Roman Catholic church is an organization that promotes atheism because of the beliefs of the small number of atheist priests. Similarly, you cannot call freemasonry open because a small number of masons revealed the ritual.

2. Freemasonry uses secrecy for secrecy's sake.

Many organizations maintain secrecy, but the secrecy serves some very real practical purpose. For example, a corporation may keep technology secret so it can have an advantage over the competition. The military may keep its plans secret so as not to give the enemy any idea to what it is doing. Secrecy in masonry does not really serve a highly practical purpose, but exists largely for its own sake. The secrecy element of masonry adds to the mystique of masonry and makes the members feel special to be part of an elite group. Perhaps one can argue the secrets can secrets can serve as modes of identification, but more is kept secret in freemasonry than just secret handshakes and passwords. Other than that, the secrets serve no real useful purpose.

If you will permit me to correct you, in my view you make a very superficial analysis of Secrecy.

All religions rely on inner secrets, for example:

The Vatican Council has explained the meaning to be attributed to the term mystery in theology. It lays down that a mystery is a truth which we are not merely incapable of discovering apart from Divine Revelation, but which, even when revealed, remains "hidden by the veil of faith and enveloped, so to speak, by a kind of darkness" (Constitution, "De fide. cath.", iv).

In other words, our understanding of it remains only partial, even after we have accepted it as part of the Divine message.

The Vatican Council further defined that the Christian Faith contains mysteries strictly so called (can. 4).

All theologians admit, for instance, that the doctrine of the Trinity is of the number of these.
Indeed, of all revealed truths this is the most impenetrable to reason.

1) No important Mason secret has leaked out.
The beauty of some mysteries is that they remain such until you understand them and if you do manage to fathom what they mean you don't want /or cannot share your knowledge.
In short they are always safe.

2) It is not correct to say that Masons use secrecy for it's own sake, the Mystery tradition is very old and it has been designed to impart wisdom.

In antiquity when Seniority meant more than titles the Understanding of a secret would count as extra years to your life and this is why you have Patriarchs of great ages: Enoch's (365), Lamek's age (777), Noah's (950) etc etc ....

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Perhaps one can argue the secrets can secrets can serve as modes of identification, but more is kept secret in freemasonry than just secret handshakes and passwords. Other than that, the secrets serve no real useful purpose.

I think you are missing a very important point. You're not alone though, lots of people do.

Consider the possibility that it is not the secret itself that is important, but the ability to keep it. How many gossipers do you hold in high regard? Discretion and trustworthyness are virtues sadly in decline in the wider world, but can be found at the heart of freemasonry.

The question "what are the secrets of freemasonry?" may be entirely the wrong approach to take

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
With all due respect, what you describe, sound like keeping secrets for the sake of secrets. While it may be true it requires decency to keep a secret, one need not concoct elaborate secret rituals to test someon'e character in this regard. Any close group of friends, which masonry supposedly is, are going to have secrets and confidences, irregardless of whether they have a secret ritual. At the end of the day, if a mason divulges secrets it does not effect the day to day activities of an organization the same way a corporation revealing trade secrets or an army revealing plans would. A corporation that reveals its closely guarded trade secrets can lose profits or even go out of business. An army that reveals its secret plans can lose a war and have many soldiers killed. If lodge secrets get out, many of the lodge activities would still be unaffected.

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
luckily, all the rituals and lectures involved in Masonry are so deep with multiple meanings and symbols, that someone who just picks up a book and reads it won't be any closer to the "secrets" than someone who read a conspiracy post on the internet.

I imagine a great deal of Master Masons don't even understand the true meanings of the Masonic teachings. That is what I believe the secrets are all about, and I still believe most of Masonry is secret.

Just because someone writes a book, and someone uninitiated reads it - doesn't mean they are any closer to understanding anything. It just means they read a book written by a Mason.

for example, you cna go on ebay or amazon right now and order Morals and Dogma - but without the proper mental preparation, it would be like reading the last chapter of a very long book, and expecting to understand everything out of context.

[edit on 7-5-2007 by scientist]

posted on May, 7 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   

With all due respect, what you describe, sound like keeping secrets for the sake of secrets.

My point is that it's not about keeping secrets, it's about keeping promises.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Despite the fact that the society is not underheard of, and can be learnt
about from books.

But what ground does this hold; is the infromation real; who is it written by, a member?

But there is evidence pointing to most presidents belonging to this society before their election. Would something really quite immoral , and a missuse of government really be open to the publics eye.

It is obvious fact that the American government consistently commits vile acts, and with little or no consequence. This organisation would not openly show its true colours to the public, therefore my view is that that would label it as a secret society.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by balckartgraphic
But there is evidence pointing to most presidents belonging to this society before their election.

Really? Can I see the list you have of US presidents who were Masons?

Here's one- www.pagrandlodge.org...
You must have a different one since 14 wouldn't be "most".

It is obvious fact that the American government consistently commits vile acts, and with little or no consequence.

Oh, you're one of those. What's a "balck art" anyway?

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Despite the fact that the society is not underheard of, and can be learnt

And has an open door policy for new members? Real secret. I just walked in.

But what ground does this hold; is the infromation real; who is it written by, a member?

Some books where written by members, sure, some Masons are Masonic Scholars..

Some books are written by Mason wannabes who claim to be Masons but because they didn't like hanging around world dominating Reptilians, and where so far above that, they left to "reveal the secrets" ..
I think I would trust a Masonic Scholar personally.

But there is evidence pointing to most presidents belonging to this society before their election. Would something really quite immoral , and a missuse of government really be open to the publics eye.

14 Presidents have been Masons. The last President to be a Mason was Ford, who just recently died. Bush's, Clinton, nope, not a Mason.

And several politicians (Congressmen, Governors) have actually joined after they where elected, for their own personal reasons.

Would something really quite immoral , and a missuse of government really be open to the publics eye.

I am having a hard time reading your words. I think you meant to say joining Masons before or after you are elected is "immoral" .. why? If anything, it is better.

Misuse of government? How can one "misuse" a government? .. How is that even possible.. please, do explain. And how is this in any way related to Masonry. There is plenty of corruption in Washington, always has been, always will be.. if you think Masonry is the source of this problem.. lol.. well then I would truly feel for you.

It is obvious fact that the American government consistently commits vile acts, and with little or no consequence. This organisation would not openly show its true colours to the public, therefore my view is that that would label it as a secret society.

interesting choice of word there friend. Vile. Not only are you indicating then corrupt, contemptible, horrific even, despicable no doubt, but disgusting to its core, acts so Horrendously appalling it would be hard to take.

To such passion I ask you this:

Show me a government, who does not commit "vile" acts.

The consequences lie within the people. If action is not taken to correct the mistakes or intentional deliberate acts of appalling behavior.. then the people lost the right to complain.

In every form of government, from the strictest dictators to the freest democracy, there is a way to cleanse the government of wrongdoings, corruption and sabotage. Democracy it is easiest, and the people forsake their obligation to keep checks on the government, and because they took their right to vote for grantit, they will loose the freedoms they so long assumed where truly god given, and god protected.

This organisation would not openly show its true colours to the public, therefore my view is that that would label it as a secret society.

This organization (Masonry) has shown its true colors, openly, with charity, hospitals, fund raisers ect. I do believe that the organization succeeded in this:

By making it seem "hard to get in" or perhaps mystic in nature, hard to discern quite exactly what is going on..

Actually helps Masonry a great deal. If it was inside out and exposed to the world for open scrutiny and so forth, there would be no mystic to the organization, every one would know just what to expect and people would join then accordingly..

However, since Masonry is NOT like that, and there is that veil of mystic that shrouded the going ons of the lodge, mixed with the aid by the Anti-Masonic crowd and their "vile" garbage about the organization, only the real men who want real knowledge and risk taking steps that others, like your self perhaps, would not take. It is, in a sense, to me anyways, symbolic in a mans strive to fulfill the need to understand, in the fullest, while those who are simply not up to such a task look on and come to irrational conclusions based on faulty information and the ramblings of their own ego about a group to which they cannot bring themselves to belong.

posted on May, 8 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman

Perhaps one can argue the secrets can secrets can serve as modes of identification, but more is kept secret in freemasonry than just secret handshakes and passwords. Other than that, the secrets serve no real useful purpose.

I think you are missing a very important point. You're not alone though, lots of people do.

Consider the possibility that it is not the secret itself that is important, but the ability to keep it. How many gossipers do you hold in high regard? Discretion and trustworthyness are virtues sadly in decline in the wider world, but can be found at the heart of freemasonry.

The question "what are the secrets of freemasonry?" may be entirely the wrong approach to take

I wish to eleborate furthur on this. It is not the secret that enlightens but the seeking of the secret, the journey to the secret the enlightens. It is the trip, not the destination.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You say Neither Bush nor Clinton are part of any Masonic group, My thoery is they are part of one that isn't so open.

It just seems no one could get into presidency with such a small brain and inability to speak.
I think there is somthing fishy going on with the Rich in America. After all Bush's father was a major OIL FIELD OWNER and very rich. The Bush family also had many ties with the Bin Laden family.(read micheal moore's dude wheres my country which talks about some pretty dodgy stuff)

P.S balck is an anagram of Black (sorry not really that interesting)

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You say Neither Bush nor Clinton are part of any Masonic group, My thoery is they are part of one that isn't so open.

Can you expand upon that a little? What group? Where? What makes you think so? Theory with evidence or just a feeling?

It just seems no one could get into presidency with such a small brain and inability to speak.

And your evidence for the size of the President's brain is...?
I think he speaks well enough to be understood, yes with the occasional malapropism. Yale grad with a Harvard MBA, he's got to have a few synapses firing.

I think there is somthing fishy going on with the Rich in America. After all Bush's father was a major OIL FIELD OWNER and very rich. The Bush family also had many ties with the Bin Laden family.(read micheal moore's dude wheres my country which talks about some pretty dodgy stuff)

Yes the rich want to be richer. Or at the very least not be less rich. Much like the rest of us. I know I could use a few more bucks every month. And yeah, the rich and powerful tend to know each other on a global level. Especially within industries. So no big shocker that Texas oil men will have some acquaintances in The House of Saud, and elsewhere in the Middle East. Not much business relevance in Texas oil guys chumming it up with the paper umbrella tycoons of Rangoon, or Tuvan throat singers.

Michael Moore is a showman who occasionally bumps into a cogent point, but isn't particularly interested in letting the facts get in the way of a well-crafted and politically spun yarn.

P.S balck is an anagram of Black (sorry not really that interesting)

Ah, yes, the anagram. It was so well disguised that I didn't pick up on it. (Just funnin' with ya
)

[Edit to add] balkartgraphic, hope I'm not coming on too strong. I see you just got here. Welcome to ATS.

[edit on 5/9/2007 by yeahright]

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Can you expand upon that a little? What group? Where? What makes you think so? Theory with evidence or just a feeling?

Honestly I don't know but there is something definetively strange, how presidents are chosen by there corresponding groups. Take the illuminatis grapplehold on the world a very illusive(wording coincidence?) group that appears to stand behind some key events in history.

And your evidence for the size of the President's brain is...?
I think he speaks well enough to be understood, yes with the occasional malapropism. Yale grad with a Harvard MBA, he's got to have a few synapses firing.

I still don't think he's very clever, he uses to many buzzwords to try and appear smart.

Yes the rich want to be richer.

what I'm trying to say is that these rich members of illusive groups seem to work very hard with little ethics to get what they want. Enron seems to be a good example if your intrested in what the American high class do to their white collar workers.

posted on May, 9 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Take the illuminatis grapplehold on the world a very illusive(wording coincidence?) group that appears to stand behind some key events in history.

But there's absolutely no credible evidence to support the existence of "the Illuminati" today. Adam Weishaupt's Bavarian Illuminati has been gone for a good long while. Personally, I think the super rich & powerful are so busy trying to cover their own fannies from each other that we have little to fear directly from any conspiratorial action among them.

BTW, I believe "elusive" is the word you're looking for.

I still don't think he's very clever, he uses to many buzzwords to try and appear smart.

Yes, he's not the most polished leader we've ever had. But don't confuse lack of polish for lack of intelligence. And actually I think he's a lot smarter than he's given credit for.

what I'm trying to say is that these rich members of illusive groups seem to work very hard with little ethics to get what they want. Enron seems to be a good example if your intrested in what the American high class do to their white collar workers.

"Seem" yes, in some instances depending upon where you look. And no argument about Enron. Or Worldcom or a variety of other entities in finance and accounting we could name.

I just don't think it has anything to do witn speculative Masonry

top topics

<<   2 >>

join