It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algae Kills Hundreds Of California Sea Animals

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Algae Kills Hundreds Of California Sea Animals

www.msnbc.msn.com

A bloom of ocean algae that produces a toxic acid has sickened and killed hundreds of birds, sea lions and dolphins in California, environmentalists said.

Birds and animals have been washing up on shores from San Diego to San Francisco Bay.

In the past week, 40 birds have been taken to the International Bird Rescue Center in San Pedro with symptoms of domoic acid poisoning, which attacks the brain and can cause seizures.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Researchers say that this bloom of algae is swifter and deadlier than any previous bloom. Although the bloom poses no threat to human swimmers, eating any of the tainted marine life, including shellfish can cause seizures as well as death to humans.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is very worrying news.

What about the overall affect on the eco system?

How did it appear? was there any tampering, or is this purely natural algae?

Could it spread to other areas? across the world?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is definitely most disturbing, and sad news.. And this will of course have an affect on California's fishing industry, since it is harmful to humans. And who is to say if this will spread to other areas? Where did it come from? Is it a natural-occuring algae that has always been there? Just some of my questions at first glance.

I hope more research is done, let's try and not forget about this story. I think this should be flagged for more attention.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Very sad news, It first brings the question to my mind as to how dangerous it is to humans? I realize in the article it states that it is not harmfull to humans but we all know how accurate those types of reports can be when you are talking trillions of dollars in tourist revenue from SanDiego to SanFranciso in a single summer season. Now the reason that the human factor comes to mind first is that I am trying to understand why both my Mom and my Daughter have died from rare and deadly brain disorders in the past 7 months.Yes this is why I have posted in other areas the fact that I am lonely, not only lonely but I have lost the 2 most important freinds I had in this life. We had all swam last summer in the oceans from southern to northern cal. 4 months later my Mom was dead and then 6 weeks later my Daughter. I am not saying that simply swimming in the ocean was the reason or cause of death but this article raises questions as to how this could possibly affect and complicate other conditions that would ordinarily not in themselves be deadly. Our family genetics are strong and healthy. Both my Mom and my Daughter were in peak health, well my Mom had a tumor and my Daughter had aquired strep throat, but they were both physically in great shape. I just wonder if the poisonings had contributed to their deaths? I will never know because we had them both cremated.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Hey Antar,
Whoa, I don't even know what to say............
I can't imagine what you're going through. Lot's of positive energy going in your direction.
Did you come down with any health issues after swimming in the same waters. Out of curiosity was there an increase of deaths in the area with the same type of symptoms.

Bees, birds, increased self beachings of marine mammals, and now this. What the heck is going on?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am afraid the planet is trying to rid herself of "us".

Biologically speaking mother nature is killing off the food chain which will have a snowball effect. Couple that with intentional tampering with the food resources used in manufactured foods and you have yourself one heck of an assualt on the living beings (includes animals) on this planet.

Maybe in fact we can not rule out the possibility that we have some "ET" or infact "subterrestrial" vistors that have genetically manipulated the enviroment or at least specific almost invisible elements of the food chain to radically alter and affect our current echo system.

(in short hand the possibility that "aliens" have altered the flora and fauna to cause widespread catastrophe)

Not all wars are won by open killing and destruction using obvious means....

They in fact might have the patience and life span to let "nature take its course"... a scary thought indeed...

[edit on 27-4-2007 by robertfenix]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I wonder if like questioned before, the melting ice caps in the arctic really are waking up some nasties from the earth's past. Maybe right now the California ocean is the only one warm enough to accomodate such algae, but who knows where it might spread when it starts to warm up elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Just wait eventually the environmentalists will somehow blame humans for this.

It always turns out to be our fault when something like this happens.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
Just wait eventually the environmentalists will somehow blame humans for this.

It always turns out to be our fault when something like this happens.

No offense, but often times it is humans fault. This is a very real problem, and unfortunately could be a crisis situation.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I have not seen any concrete evidence to support that humans are responsible for any of the stuff going on right now. (global warming, etc.)

I am still under the belief that the earth is going through a natural process that it always has, every so often. At least until PROVEN otherwise. Much of the global warming story could probably be credited to the earth and sun changing polar shift, going through a 'reset mode' as it probably has in the past. This could mean ice ages ahead.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It's not mother nature. It's the FDA and the Food Industry. They are intentionally placing hundreds of chemicals into the water supply and the food supply. Even prescription drugs are now entering the water supply (in addition to fluoride, arsenic, and industrial chemicals).

Just peruse this list of articles on NewsTarget (www.newstarget.com...) to learn the truth about environmental toxins.

And peruse this list of articles to learn the truth about how the FDA and food industry put chemicals into all of the food you purchase at the supermarket (www.newstarget.com...).

It's much worse than most people think. You will be shocked to learn what is put into the foods and the bigger danger posed by mixing these chemicals up in your digestive system. This is what causes most of the diseases we have in our society and the primary reason so many people are on antidepressant medication.

I have experienced this first hand. I went off of antidepressants after 6 years and discovered that I am perfectly fine as long as I maintain a healthy diet without processed foods that have chemicals in them. As soon as I consume one processed food item, I get manic all over again. Luckily, I realized that it's temporary and I can make it go away by eating healthy food and taking St John's Wort (an herbal remedy that is proven to work better than antidepressants).

I didn't mean to go off-topic but the reality is that all of this is tied in together to keep everyone sick. It's disgusting that they can actually get away with all of this and the public is none the wiser unless they do the research because you certainly won't see or hear the truth in the mainstream media.

Antar - I am so sorry to hear about your family. It's very sad and it actually upsets me to think that they may be additional victims of this mass poisoning agenda.

Take care of your health and educate yourself!

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
annastacey,

The chemicals in the food and water supply, do you think it is to intentionally wipe out some of the population?
Or more along the lines of profit? Less 'good' food supply could dramatically increase profits, since demand will not go down anytime soon.. ha ha.
Or of course, like mentioned, mainly keeping people sick so that the drug industry can keep cashing out?

It's disturbing, either way. But it seems if they just start to intentionally wipe out the population, profits could be hurt.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have to ask the question, if hundreds or possibly even thousands are sick/dying and 40 have shown "domoic acid poisoning", is it really domoic acid? Various statements about how this is the worst they've ever seen, and how the birds and animals can be nursed back to health, yet this time they are just dying. Lots of animals dying around the world.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You are thinking maybe this is something different now.. Than what they were able to treat before...

I don't think anything could really be ruled out at this point, until the exact cause is pinpointed. That's scary stuff.

The birds and the bees, now the marine wildlife. Is it all connected? Is it a natural process?

Seems all the creatures around us are in danger, how long before that includes us?

This one just hit me kinda hard, a little close to my home and all.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I certainly am no expert, but I don't see how it can't be connected. I for one don't really believe in coincidences, and there are too many coincidences here.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I certainly am no expert, but I don't see how it can't be connected. I for one don't really believe in coincidences, and there are too many coincidences here.

I totally agree with this statement.

My analogy is just like when the miners used to take birds in the mines, since bird were ultra sensitive to gases, when the birds died the miners knew something was wrong.

Only problem with the vast majority these days were not taking it serious enough. First them, then us.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Antar, you should use the news here to look into other causes for your loss. My condolences to you, and I hope you get to the bottom of your search for truth.

The article Lombozo quoted does state that:

'...Humans can’t be harmed by swimming in algae blooms but consuming fish and shellfish tainted with the acid can cause nausea, seizures and even death. ...'

This is shocking, especially as the news was updated today. Could soome people already have been affected?

Any ATS'er live round there? any reports?....

Updated: 5:30 a.m. CT April 27, 2007

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How could it not be dangerous if you are swimming near this stuff? If its deadly consuming the fish that ingested this stuff , then what would happen if you got a mouthful of water thats loaded with this algae? I say they are worried more about profit then human life as usual and they aren't telling the whole story.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Only one virus in the world that I can think of that has been found in many species, even flies.

Originally posted by lombozo

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join