It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algae Kills Hundreds Of California Sea Animals

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
No offense, but often times it is humans fault. This is a very real problem, and unfortunately could be a crisis situation.

Well the previous deaths of birds and other species could never be found, autopsies were made and they never found any toxins, bacteria or anything like that.

This case is isolated, they found what it is that is killing these particular birds. In the other cases the only thing they found was that birds were starving and were found in unusual places as if they were lost.

But eventually some people will try to blame humans for this as they blame everything on humans.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
why both my Mom and my Daughter have died from rare and deadly brain disorders in the past 7 months.

Antar I feel for you, sorry for your loss. Did the doctors give the tumor a name? Did they say anything about how it could have been caused or how long they could have had it?

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
I am afraid the planet is trying to rid herself of "us".

I have often heard that claim, and at one time I thought it could be true, but many times in the past have things like this happened, with natural events killing off marine and mammal life on Earth.

These are changes the Earth goes through periodically, and unfortunately for living things that exist during these events, many of them can die off because of these changes.

As for an alien species doing this to us. Any alien species more advanced than us could exterminate mankind without destroying the ecosystem of Earth. That would be just another unfounded claim.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I am sorry, but to anyone who actually lives in California, this is nothing more than old news.

Sure it might be blamed on some algae now, and later there will be another perfectly logical explanation.

The one thing that doesn't change though is the fact that we have had large numbers of wildlife washing up on our beaches for decades now.

For instance, I am in Long Beach, just south of San Pedro. Does anyone else know that we have a wave-break? Does anyone even know what that is?

Does anyone know about the sewage that has been dumped into Huntington ( the city of my birth) for well over a decade now?

Dead birds, oh no! Hell, that is par for the course if strolling alongst the western shore.

[edit on 27-4-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Reminds me of the 'Red Tide' that used to form in the Gulf of Mexico,
every few years.
It's an algae bloom , suspected to be from fertilizer run off, IIRC, and linked to El Nino

A snippet

Some red tide organisms produce large quantities of toxins, such as saxitoxin, ciguatoxin, and brevetoxin, which disrupt the proper function of ion channels in neurons. Domoic acid, a toxin produced by diatoms of the genus Pseudo-nitzschia, has been linked to neurological damage in certain marine mammals, and is frequently found in algal blooms on the U.S. West Coast.

from Wiki

[edit on 27-4-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Mauddib, thanks for asking, without my enumerous pages of notes I can't tell you exactly on either. But Mom had a benign tumor small in the space between the base of the skull and the spinal cord. She was at the Barrow clinic at Saint Josephs in Pheonix for her surgery. She had the best- Dr. Rekate and Dr Spetzler, she did surgery great and went home,and then came hydrocephalis, leaks where the surgery was performed -and cerebral infarctions- spinal fluid contamination diabetis insepitis(unable to keep water in body) heart failure, kidney failure,menengitis- and cerebral seisures- and finally a fatal hemmorage. Noone would diagnose any part of this.They even said at one point she had valley fever.The whole situation was very cloak and dagger.I come from a medical background myself and have R.N."s in the family for at least 4 generations or more. My brother who stood by my side is a trauma er RN. Now with my Daughter Cyanne, I saw her for the last time laying on my Moms bed the night of her services, I held her in my arms as we lay embracing one another and just talking quietly while guests and family popped in occassionallty to momentarily join us, I remember smelling her hair and then begging her to stay the night, she had to get back to Redding from Prescott and the drive was 23 hours. I packed snacks and water for the road and stood out in the bright az moon and waved goodbye for the last time. She called complaining of a sore throat a week later and I gave the natural advice tea rest ect , follow up with Dr. if condition worsens ... she did go to the hospital and was diagnosed with strep. She got on the meds but never went back for followup. At work now 6 weeks later she began to vomit and went home, in short all I can tell you is that she underwent the EXACT same process of dying as my Mom had 6 weeks before. Cyanne did not last as long as Mom, she was very petite and did not have much to loose.We buried my Mom on oct16th and on dec. 9th we buried Cyanne. The reason I feel it is very suspicious was that my brother who also went swimming upon returning home became ill and hospitilized with upper resperatory distress, which became a type of infection resiliant to antibiotics. He was able survive with much challenge and aggressive medical help. My sons and I never became ill and we swam more than the other 3. I wonder if you have to be compromised when you are in contact with these dangerous pathogens in the ocean for them to have something to attach to or how long they remain in the system before causing problems. Sorry this is so long I really tried to keep it brief. Antar

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
alage bloom huh? killing hundreds mmmkkayyy

well has this happened before. are there other independent researchers that wonder if this algae is natural or some kind of

who knows global food supply in danger bees then fish, i bet monsanto will be there to save us , then the chip for our and our loved one's "safety"

"is eve r yb o d y go i n g c r aaaa z yyyyyyyyyy"

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
alage bloom huh? killing hundreds mmmkkayyy

well has this happened before...

Apparently, it has. From my previous link-

The most conspicuous effects of red tides are the associated
wildlife mortalities among marine and coastal species of fish, birds, marine mammals and other organisms.
In the case of Florida red tides, these mortalities are caused by exposure to a potent neurotoxin
produced naturally by Karenia brevis, called brevetoxin.

From Answers.com

do·mo·ic acid
n.
A water-soluble amino acid found in various marine algae that is a potent,
often deadly neurotoxin to humans when consumed in contaminated mussels, clams, crabs, and anchovies.

[From Japanese dialectal (Tokunoshima Island) domoi, seaweed (Chondria armata) in which the toxin is found.]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Contact your Congressman today and DEMAND that they ban algae...Do it for the seals

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
annastacey,

The chemicals in the food and water supply, do you think it is to intentionally wipe out some of the population?
Or more along the lines of profit? Less 'good' food supply could dramatically increase profits, since demand will not go down anytime soon.. ha ha.
Or of course, like mentioned, mainly keeping people sick so that the drug industry can keep cashing out?

It's disturbing, either way. But it seems if they just start to intentionally wipe out the population, profits could be hurt.

yes. all of the above. Pay close attention to the articles on NewsTarget (www.newstarget.com...) and other websites that Mike Adams promotes. These websites are totally dedicated to bringing the truth to the public. Check them out - you will know their intentions.

The intention of the FDA, USDA, Big Pharma, AMA, and all the other organizations is to keep us sick and stupid for as long as possible to extract money from us. They're not killing us right away because that would interfere with their profits.

When you seriously investigate this, you will understand how they use chemicals in the water, the food supply and the pharmaceutical drugs to make us brain dead and sick. Sick so that we need medications and brain dead so that we don't question why we're sick.

We cannot trust any of these govt entities to protect us. There is such an incredible amount of evidence against the FDA, USDA, AMA, etc. that it will shock you. When you sign up for the newsletters at NewsTarget, you get tons of free downloadable books that will inform you further of what is going on in this society.

Just go there... get started and educate yourself. This is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family. The sheeple who trust the government and refuse to believe this information will suffer for it in the end. Then again... maybe that is their main agenda... to separate and dispose of the sheeple (that statement is my own opinion).

Take care,

Annestacey

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I haven't been able to find any news on it yet, but the Salton Sea stunk to high heaven this morning too... sometimes a shift in the wind alone will do it because the New River is bad enough, but when it's that bad, it's often the product of an algae bloom killing off the fish. Frisco may not be alone in this one.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Could it be a variation of red algea/red tide?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
First of all, for those who may be thinking that this bloom represents the appearance of a hitherto unknown species of algae, there's no such thing as a "new" algae. Algaes are among the oldest plant life on earth, and marine algae is responsible for the very oxygen we're breathing. No, the trees aren't keeping us alive, it's the algae.

Algae blooms that produce toxic and even lethal marine conditions are common. When I lived in Florida over a decade ago, we were visited by several such red tides, which sure as hell killed off millions of fish and shellfish — I recall standing on a 12-mile crescent of beach that was covered in rotting marine life for as far as I could see. And this happened with some regularity in Florida.

What is most interesting about these massive algae-related fish kills is that there are no sharks among the dead. I walked miles of beach and saw the carcasses of every kind of fish you can name, but no sharks. I don't think that sharks are immune to oxygen depletion or to the toxic byproducts of an algae bloom, but they must have a first alert mechanism that sends every mothers son of them racing out to sea, or at least outside of the kill zone.

I'd like some photos of the California kill, just to see if we can spot any sharks among the dead.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
People don't think about the products they used or products used in their name. I'm talking about gallons of body and hair care, gallons of laundry soap, hundreds of pounds of fertilizer and pesticides to product their foods, paints, gas, oil, plastics, processing clothes with dyes and clean water, anything industrial and clean water to process all the food. Not to mention all the sewerage each person produces.

For a short time, I worked in the auto industry here in Detroit, Michigan, but learned a great deal, at the time it took over 100,000 gallons of clean water to process an automobile, from start to final product. People say: Oh! I hate big corporations, but yet they endorse big corporations every time they buy anything produced, manufactured, processed.

Most people don't want to take personal responsibility for pollution, its always someone else fault. "It can't be me, No."

So lets see take all the above, in the name of one person use, dump it continually into clean waters and what do you have?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't believe that human pollution is responsible for algae blooms — this is a very, very ancient marine life cycle we're talking about. Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean that we're responsible for it, although I know there's a lot of money to be made by convincing the gullible public that we must pay in order to clean up the planet.

Somewhere between the creation of the EPA during the Nixon administration and the assassination of God during the Clinton administration, Western Civilization deceived itself into believing that we alone are guardians of the earthly biosphere. According to those (such as Al Gore) who really enjoy lying to you and stealing your money in order to promote their elitist agendas, our human activities are destroying the planet, and only we are capable of restoring Earth to "perfect balance."

Which is a bald-face lie. Aside from the fact that the Earth has never been in perfect ecological balance, and aside from the fact that millions of earthly species have evolved and died off due to global climate changes long before we ever crawled down out of the trees, aside from all that, we simply don't have that much of an impact on Nature. We can do our damnedest to destroy life on this planet, and it keeps coming back — drop a nuclear bomb on the rainforest, pour a billion gallons of nerve gas into the ocean, release a genetically-modified pandemic that wipes out the birds and the bees, and Life just keeps bouncing back.

You've got to keep in mind that Life first evolved on this planet under conditions that were so hostile and so toxic that any human being would expire there in a few seconds — and yet that was the cradle of Life.

All we need do is nothing — just stop trying to improve the environment, stop tampering with it for about 5 years, and the planet will restore itself.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/28/2007 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I grew up on the Southern California beaches. Going back as far as I can remember (which would be from 1959 or 1960), every summer there was the "Red Tide" so-called because of the red in the water. I don't know if the red was from the algae itself or if it was from all the dead sealife. But I do rememeber that it is an algae and it killed alot sealife. I swam in it and I don't think I ever got sick from it, BUT things are out of balance now, which has caused many earth changes. It would not be difficult for me to imagine that perhaps this type of algae now produces more of this domaic acid, or some such.

You can't dump the amount of sewage, chemicals and pollution into the sea that we humans have and not expect to change the balance. Add to that, the fact that we have been clear-cutting the ocean's floor (scraping the bottom for fish, which sstrips the ocean's floor of all life) and disturbing the algae in doing so and it may be that the algae, in response, has become stronger so it can survive a little more.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
These algae blooms having been going on in the California coastal ecosystems for some time. It is only recently that they have been able to start tracking some of the cycles involved in the algae blooms ... they do this by tracking the domoic acid outbreaks in various species.

I used to volunteer for a marine mammal rescue organization ... about 7 years ago we started getting a huge influx of Sea Lions that looked physically healthy but were hauling out in various places and having major convulsions. Usually by the time we got the call they would be dead a day later. I think we brought in around a hundred that year ... trying to figure out what was going on the vet staff got UC Davis involved and started doing more intensive autopsies of the animals. That's when they discovered the domoic acid was the cause of death and we're able to link it throught the food web to the algae blooms.

Since then there have been the typically up and down during every "algae season" with domoic acid outbreaks. They've also come up with some halfway decent treatment regiments.

And it can affect humans ... but typically they won't see the same problems as the sea life because we're not eating/swimming/living in the ocean every day of our life. Typically from May to October there is a warning issued in California to not consume any "sport caught" shell fish since these creatures have high volumes during algae blooms.

I haven't heard of anything that positively links algae blooms to human causes. So far it seems like it may be another natural cycle of nature ... but I'm sure theres more than a few "environmentalists" that would like to blame this on mankind.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I can see that the algae may be a natural cause, but what could be damaging irreperably is the industrial scale pollution that is being created by the manufacturers - not the consumers.

It is not the consumer's fault they are being given products which have been produced at cost to the environment. If there were only green hybrid cars then what do you think we would be buying?

The consumer is already having to pay the cost anyhows, with green taxes, carbon footprint taxes, and even penalties for taking your recycling out early (UK), not to mention being blamed for an event which might be entirely natural.

Is it not possible that the algae, much like a flu virus, can mutate over time, or become a superalgae?

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
People don't think about the products they used or products used in their name. I'm talking about gallons of body and hair care, gallons of laundry soap, hundreds of pounds of fertilizer and pesticides to product their foods, paints, gas, oil, plastics, processing clothes with dyes and clean water, anything industrial and clean water to process all the food. Not to mention all the sewerage each person produces.

[edit on 28-4-2007 by deaman88]

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I can see that the algae may be a natural cause, but what could be damaging irreperably is the industrial scale pollution that is being created by the manufacturers - not the consumers.

It is not the consumer's fault they are being given products which have been produced at cost to the environment. If there were only green hybrid cars then what do you think we would be buying?

The consumer is already having to pay the cost anyhows, with green taxes, carbon footprint taxes, and even penalties for taking your recycling out early (UK), not to mention being blamed for an event which might be entirely natural.

Is it not possible that the algae, much like a flu virus, can mutate over time, or become a superalgae?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join