It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
"You're a complete idiot just because you believe that!" We respected the others opinion, and their RIGHT to that opinion.

If my opinion is that you're a complete idiot because you believe [whatever] can you not respect my opinion, and my RIGHT to that opinion?

:p

I'm just messing with you Zaph, and you're right, there's far too much of it about. I blame the government disinfo agents...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Usually though, the new ones generally figure it out. They'll get better responces if they temper their responces. Though, as has been pointed out, it's on the increase. I wonder if its a cyclical thing? I've only been here for just over a year and a half, but I notice it seems to come and go.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
If my opinion is that you're a complete idiot because you believe [whatever] can you not respect my opinion, and my RIGHT to that opinion?

:p

In your case I'll make an exception.

Just kidding btw.

[edit on 4/27/2007 by Zaphod58]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Respect is earned but courtesy should be automatic. I'm as guilty as the next sometimes I'm not as polite as I should be. Sometimes the reason behind impolite behavior could be as simple as the person had a crap day; if it isn't a regular occurance just overlook it. Everybody has a bad hair day

However, I've noticed that there are some members who enjoy calling each other names usually have worn out their arguments and can't refute your arguements or opinions in a logical fashion so must resort to name calling and flame wars. I've actually been called a bitter a-hole by another member. Well, ok then if that's his opinion he's entitled to it just as I'm entitled to disagree which by the by I do. I've found it helps to have a thick skin and given my job I certainly do. If that's the worst I get called in a day it's pretty good.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
lol well, ive been on teh recieving end of name calling much much more than on the giving end.

i wont even go on about how people seem to want experts but only if said expert agrees with them...ill let that go cuz it just amuses me way too much.

i just dont get why my opinion on things seems to be the subject of attacks against me more than the facts ive presented. why does no one discuss facts anymore?

and isnt courtesy mandatory here or am i the only one that reads teh BBQ threads anymore?

i dunno, but like zaph, im pretty much done with 911 threads. the guys in the UFO forums are much more entertaining and open minded most of the time

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's very true this saying:

"Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you."

I love the ATS community and the fact that there are rules/regulations enforced.

Without these rules, this COMMUNITY wouldn't be differentiated from other so-called 'trash-forems' - a term that I don't use loosely.

ATS raises the bar when it comes down to member conduct and productivity through - Contribution - contribution of ideas that are free from 'harassment' from others.

If people want to 'constructively' criticize anothers' post (without demeaning the person), IMO, I'm all for it. However, if those that are on, what I call, 'vandetta mission', and do not 'mindfully watch their words', these people HAVE to be dealt with by the moderators.

Somewhere in my readings with the TLC handbook and other postings, I came across this saying (paraphrasing):

**Don't take matters into your own hands...don't be hero. Should you do so, you could be in the same doo doo as well as the perpetrator who started the incident.**

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My mom says respect is earned, not given. Well that don't make any sense, because if nobody gives anyone respect, we'll all be haters. :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
**Don't take matters into your own hands...don't be hero. Should you do so, you could be in the same doo doo as well as the perpetrator who started the incident.**

This is well said. The T&C applies to everyone. That's what the Complaints/Suggestions button is for.

BTW, Springer's siggy pretty much says it:

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!"

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!"

But that is half the problem, you try to civally debate then someone comes in and stinks up the place to the point where you go "it's all yours now". Then they claim victory since you removed that thread from your favorites. I'd rather not bang my head against the wall too many times. There are exceptions, but they are not the majority.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Isn't that the way things are in the world lately? Do you remember the elections?

i didn't vote for either of hte two major candidates. I couldn't get behind either. But, since then, John kerry has shown a much, much more human side of himself. He should have behaved that way back then. Did anyone see him on John Stewart?

Anyway...this is the way people act now a days. Thanks Jerry Springer. Since then, it has all gone down hill. We started with small fights on TV in the afternoon, and 15 years later we are watching people take a dump on Flavor of Love. What gives?

Rosie and her public antics. Michael Moore. Ann Coulter. Rush Limbaugh.

When did it get to be nasty? Why compound the problem of disagreement by infusing hatred and emotion? It is hard enough...

but this is the way the world has turned. We are just going along for the ride. I just hope we don't have donkeys and elephants killing each other in 2008. if things keep escalating, if people cannot get a more mature hold on their emotions, then we just might see it.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by TheDuckster

This is well said. The T&C applies to everyone. That's what the Complaints/Suggestions button is for.

Thank you Intrepid!

I paraphrased it as best as I could. Everyone should familarize themselves with the rules, to the best of their abilities. "Instill upon the neurons".

Without quoting exacts...

I remind everyone to read / re-read the T&C's and rules surrounding there-of. -ATS ETIQUETTE.

PLEASE.

p.s. Intrepid, I like very much, Springers' siggy. It encompasses a belief to which I hold dear.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I backed out of 9/11 threads, mostly because it's the same arguments, and I'm tired of being told I'm stupid, a disinfo agent, sheeple, etc. When I said I was done with them, I was told I can't take the heat among other things. I just read another thread where a person said something to the effect of "anyone who believes the official story still is delusional, an idiot, or a disinformation agent." I have seen two other people who have made excellent posts in 9/11 get so frustrated they left the forum as well.

I have reached the same point on the 9/11 threads. It's a mobius strip of argument that one can never win with the other side since there is never any "definitive proof" of your side (doesn't matter which side you are on even).

The latest tactic of the CTers has been to label you a "disinfo agent" and "derailing the thread" for asking a question about a statement one of them make in the thread. God forbid you ask questions about statements with no documentation! It's even worse if you try use one of their own links against them. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I will take a break from that particular board. Then they can debate themselves on which theory is more plausible.

And someone here is right, with the coming political season, things are just getting started. I just can't wait....can you?

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Excellent thread Zapster. I couldnt have stated it any better myself. Maybe all new members should be directed to this thread as part of the list of posts to peruse first. I give you one of my much acclaimed but seldom used WATS for this one.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm so totally with you Zaphod, whatever happened to being able to debate without people flipping out?

I absolutely expect people to disagree with me, and I expect to disagree with some people.
We can't always see things eye-to-eye.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well I will have to agree about earning respect and that many will be disrespectful no matter what.

I have been the subject of many names calling

But guess what that doesn't stop me from been here and still posting.

Sometimes it has to do with how sensitive the person targeted is, or how willing he or she will be when it comes to been disrespected.

We have also to understand that is people that no matter how much prove is put in front of them they refused to acknowledge that they are wrong.

Because are truly sure in their minds that they are right and everybody else is wrong.

I call it human nature and perhaps I have been in that path more than once.

But I know how to apologized when I see my faults.

Many will never do that.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
We have also to understand that is people that no matter how much prove is put in front of them they refused to acknowledge that they are wrong.
Because are truly sure in their minds that they are right and everybody else is wrong.
I call it human nature and perhaps I have been in that path more than once.
But I know how to apologized when I see my faults.
Many will never do that.

Yeah, true.
I'm wrong all the time.
I love being wrong.
Being wrong teaches me how to be right.
I may be resistant to it at first, but usually (although not all the time, and yeah, I'm working on that) after a bit of conscious thought, I'm capable of realizing that I'm wrong, and I dispense apologies as necessary.
I don't understand why so many people just can't admit that they're wrong.
It's part of the learning process.
It's what makes us human.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yes is what makes us human and that is what is call maturity, but as you get older not everybody get wiser.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I almost can't wait to get old.
It'll give me a legitimate reason to hate kids.

(ps. get off my damn lawn!)

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I just read another thread where a person said something to the effect of "anyone who believes the official story still is delusional, an idiot, or a disinformation agent."

When there is nothing substantive to support an argument, the only weapon in a person's arsenal is the ad hominem attack.

Some of these "conspiracies" have been discussed as much as they possibly can be and nothing new has been added to the debate.

Finally, it boils down to faith.

When people hold beliefs that defy the evidence, there's nothing anyone can say to dissuade them.

That's a clear sign that it's time to move to another discussion.

We have many fine discussions taking place in Social Issues.

[edit on 2007/5/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 4 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Finally, it boils down to faith.

When people hold beliefs that defy the evidence, there's nothing anyone can say to dissuade them.

That's a clear sign that it's time to move to another discussion.

Exactly, very wise words for a very respected member here,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join