It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eli Lilly wants to drug our pets with Prozac

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
America's pets have already been poisoned by toxic chemicals in the pet food. Now, they're going to be further poisoned with Prozac. I nearly fell out of my chair from shock when I read this article stating that Eli Lilly
would be repackaging prozac into chewable beef-flavored tablets to treat "misbehaving mutts".

Prozac approved for misbehaving mutts

NEW YORK - Man’s best friend may have a new best friend after Eli Lilly and Co. won U.S. approval to sell its former blockbuster antidepressant Prozac to treat misbehaving mutts. The drug, repackaged into a chewable, beef-flavored tablet to be called Reconcile, was officially approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of separation anxiety in dogs in conjunction with behavior modification training, the drug maker said on Wednesday.

The product gives new life to a drug that was once Lilly’s most lucrative medicine before it lost patent protection several years ago and sales evaporated in the face of generic competition."

Prozac is one of the deadliest cons ever unleashed on the public and they're going to start it all over again with our pets? This drug is linked to so many murder/suicides that the public would be absolutely shocked to
learn the true details of how many people have been killed by these drugs.

Here is the ugly truth about Prozac.

From the beginning, patients experienced psychotic and manic episodes, and made people commit suicide, but Eli Lilly covered it up by recoding and removing the negative reports. That was the only way Prozac got approved, was by covering up the truth and lying to the public about the dangers of this drug.

Within one decade, there were 39,000 adverse reports about Prozac sent to Medwatch. It was estimated that the actual number of people who suffered such problems was 100 times as many, or roughly four million people. This makes Prozac the most complained about drug in America.

The FDA received a flood of adverse event reports. but never told the public. It took a decade for the FDA to begin to acknowledge the increased suicides and the violence it can trigger in some people. This shows how the FDA betrayed the American people.

Does anyone remember Joseph Wesbecker who shot 20 coworkers after being put on Prozac? The survivors of that incident sued Eli Lilly. When the case went to trial, the company knew it was going to lose because of very
damaging evidence that would be presented. So they secretly went to the plaintiffs and offered them a lot of money to settle the case, but had the plaintiffs go ahead with a sham trial without the damaging evidence so
that Eli Lilly could publicly claim that they won the trial and Prozac (their little moneymaker) doesn't actually cause any harm.

It has been demonstrated that suicide related to Prozac is two to three times higher than any other anti-depressant. Prozac's maker, Eli Lilly not only knew their star drugs were more dangerous than alternatives, but they actively sought to suppress the release of that information in order to protect profits. They have frantically fought any change in the prescribing guidelines for antidepressants even after allegations linking the drug to suicides, murders, murder-suicides and mass murder-suicides because of
financial greed.

When Prozac came to market, Eli Lilly's value on Wall Street, its capitalization, was around 2 billion dollars. By the year 2000, the time when Prozac was its number-one drug, its capitalization reached 80 billion dollars -- a forty-fold increase.

The con of pharmaceutical-based medicine is the biggest con ever perpetrated on the American people. Virtually the entire profession has been bought out and participates in this scheme. That includes the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Child Neurology Society, the American Academy of Family Practice and various psychological groups. On average, every physician in the country gets $13,000 per year from the drug companies. Some get about $500,000 a year, and it has been so successful that no one within academic medicine can speak out.

Everyone gets rich -- the drug companies, the psychiatrists, the researchers, the advertising agencies -- It's all a big gravy train. And the clients get drugged out of their minds and damaged for life.

Now that Eli Lilly has lost patent protection on Prozac, they need a new revenue stream. People pamper their pets now more than ever and Eli Lilly is going to take full advantage of it.

As a side-note, if your dog has anxiety or depression, there are plenty of natural herbal remedies that work great and have no side effects at all. They work just as well for people too.

Sources and additional information:

Eli Lilly Knew Prozac had 1200% higher suicide rate than other antidepressants (www.newstarget.com...)

Experts say antidepressant drugs cause suicides instead of preventing them (www.newstarget.com...)

Eli Lilly lied about Prozac, hid suicide evidence, charges Harvard psychiatrist (www.newstarget.com...)

Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker (www.newstarget.com...)

Neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman talks about the fraud of ADHD and the poisoning of U.S. children. (www.newstarget.com...)

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I know this has been posted here before, I don't know how long ago.

But I'll reiterate, Prozac has been shown to be very effective at helping pets with certain behaviors such as separation anxiety in dogs to parrots and other birds who pluck out their own feathers.

I'm sure the many owners whose pets have been greatly helped by this drug would disagree with your reasoning.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yeah that's what the drug is supposed to do... greatly help anyone to feel better in the beginning. It's been proven many times over that these drugs are designed to make a person feel better initially, then worsen the condition over time so that the dosage has to be increased.

Why would anyone use a dangerous pharmaceutical drug on themselves, their kids or their pets when there are safe herbal remedies that are proven to work better with no side effects?

You cannot dispute the fact that these drugs are highly dangerous. It's already been proven. Cocaine makes people feel good too but that doesn't mean you should use it on yourself or your pet.

How antidepressants affect the brain:

Stephen Hyman, a well-known neuroscientist and the former director of the National Institute of Mental Health, wrote a paper in 1996 that looked at how psychiatric drugs affect the brain. He wrote that all these drugs create perturbations in neurotransmitter functions. And he notes that the brain, in response to this drug from the outside, alters its normal functions and goes through a series of compensatory adaptations.

In other words, it tries to adapt to the fact that an antipsychotic drug is blocking normal dopamine functions. Or in the case of antidepressants, it tries to compensate for the fact that you're blocking a normal reuptake of serotonin. The way it does this is to adapt in the opposite way. So, if you're blocking dopamine in the brain, the brain tries to put out more dopamine and it actually increases the number of dopamine receptors. So a person placed on antipsychotic drugs will end up with an abnormally high number of dopamine receptors in the brain.

If you give someone an antidepressant, and that tries to keep serotonin levels too high in the brain, it does exactly the opposite. It stops producing as much serotonin as it normally does and it reduces the number of serotonin receptors in the brain. So someone who is on an antidepressant, after a time ends up with an abnormally low level of serotonin receptors in the brain.

And here's what Hyman concluded about this: After these changes happened, the patient's brain is functioning in a way that is "qualitatively as well as quantitatively different from the normal state." So what Stephen Hyman, former head of the NIMH, has done is present a paradigm for how these drugs affect the brain that shows that they're inducing a pathological state.

Source (NewsTarget): Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I am sure some people, and pets, may need medication, however, when we label a child, because he or she is full of life, or think we have to cover up our emotions to the point where we don't feel, I begin to worry.

[edit on 25-4-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I'll admit I take Prozac myself, 40mg per day. I find it just a slight help for me to focus more on improving myself than wallowing in self pity for past mistakes. I think it's a great drug that helps many people, and apparently animal pets as well.

I don't like hearing people saying they want to ban it just because a small amount of people may have bad experiences which are not really even anywhere near conclusively tied to taking the drug in the first place.

To me this is just more paranoid thinking that doesn't help anyone. Sure, drugs aren't always the answer, and some people can never be helped, but they do certainly help a multitude of people and the conspiracy community would be in the wrong to ignore that fact.

[edit on 4/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't like hearing people saying they want to ban it just because a small amount of people may have bad experiences which are not really even anywhere near conclusively tied to taking the drug in the first place.

To me this is just more paranoid thinking that doesn't help anyone. Sure, drugs aren't always the answer, and some people can never be helped, but they do certainly help a multitude of people and the conspiracy community would be in the wrong to ignore that fact.

[edit on 4/25/2007 by djohnsto77]

I used to think I was one of those people who just needed to be on medication as well. I just got off of antidepressants after 6 years. I never thought that I would be able to live without them. But I realized that the problem was the chemicals in the food. As long as I am consuming fresh fruits and vegetables (plus other "healthy" and whole foods), I feel just fine. Very clear-headed and stable. As soon as I consume something that is processed with chemicals, I become manic.

The great thing is that I have learned what causes it and know that it's only temporary when it occurs. St John's wort has been proven to work better than prescription antidepressants and I have found that to be exactly right.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself as to what the FDA and Food Industry is intentionally putting into the food supply and learning how to get around that and keep yourself healthy.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
What we eat does make a HUGE difference.

and have you heard about the amount of drugs that leaks into our water supply?

Do you think it is true?

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
What we eat does make a HUGE difference.

and have you heard about the amount of drugs that leaks into our water supply?

Do you think it is true?

Yes it's true.

Antidepressant drugs found in drinking water; pharmaceuticals have now become environmental pollutants

apparently we are dosing ourselves with such high levels of pharmaceuticals that we are now collectively polluting the rivers, streams and even the drinking water for the mass public.

In another words, if you're drinking tap water that's tainted with these drugs, you're getting a little bit of Prozac whether you like it or not. And since we now know that antidepressant drugs promote violent behavior, including suicides and homicides, there's justified alarm at the idea that we're going to medicate the entire country with trace amounts of antidepressant drugs in one grand experiment.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
For years I had fought the medical industry and doctors whenever they tried to prescribe me antidepressants.

It doesn't matter if I go to the doctor with a stomach ache, immediately they want to put me on some type of medication.

I always said not.

Now they can not push it anymore, because I am allergic to almost anything.
(found out the hard way).

But putting dogs in antidepressants is just to ridiculous.

Is many herbal remedies that works as well for humans as it does for animals.

What people need to understand is that this medications cost money and is nothing more than another way to keep the cash flowing for the drug manufactured business.

Prozac is one of the drugs that has been taken over by other newer drugs so I guess is just a way to keep it in the market and alive.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hi anne, no wonder everyone I know is sick.

>For years I had fought the medical industry and doctors whenever they tried to prescribe me antidepressants.

Margo I am sensitive to most drugs too,

[edit on 26-4-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Dogs who misbehave are doing so for a GOOD reason. Drugging a dog to treat the symptom of bad doggy parenting is, IMO, animal cruelty. Regardless how attractive the alliteration of "misbehaving mutts" is to the public, this is animal abuse, pure and simple. People get dogs and expect them to be like a handbag. It's there when you need it and otherwise it sits quietly in the corner. But dogs have needs. Simple needs, but needs nonetheless. And when one gets a dog, they take the responsibility of providing those needs.

If ALL the 'pooch parents' who wish to 'drug their doggies' (See, I can do alliterations, too
) would give them proper exercise, discipline and affection (in that order), I would guarantee that 90% would have no need whatsoever for drugs. (See Cesar Millan, The Dog Whisperer)

Just like clinically depressed people who eat right, exercise and meditate can do fine (and even much better) without drugs, dogs can, too. But they need our help.

Thanks for this topic. It's near to my heart.
(No! Really??)

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

People get dogs and expect them to be like a handbag.

I agree, just like active children who can't sit still in the class room,

They drug them up to keep them quite.

How on earth did we survive a thousand years ago?

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Stormdancer777, yes I am in the 5 % that the littler prints on most drugs refer too.
Now I got a nice and big warning on my medical records.

BH, I agree, but what do you expect from a generation of people like me that we feel not guilty when comes to drugging our own children so they be more manageable.

I did to my son for 2 years and I will always live with the guilt.

Now we are to do it to our pets, and the thing is that . . . the same way we can drug our own children without question ask, we will do it to the animals also.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

People make mistakes. Sometimes we don't know any better. It's when we learn what we're doing is wrong and still choose to do it that I have a problem.

I have certainly made mistakes with my dogs!
Fortunately, they are completely forgiving.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I think we are more aware now.

posted on Apr, 26 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I agree BH and Stormdance777, he is now 20 and that was when he was only 12 so it was during that time that Ritalin was so popular and supposed to be good for children.

At least he have not permanent problems from that and actually all that hyperactivity is now but a memory.

new topics

top topics

join