It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

futuristic concept railgun battle missile cruiser

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
this is a hypothetical concept for a warship of 2050 , that could be constructed by any of the present and future superpowers(INDIA,CHINA,RUSSIA,USA,EU ETC), for the concept and specifications , i wish to thank DASEITZ ,

Type 1000 Battleship
Technical Data:
-Dimensions:
Length: 350m
Beam: 67m
Draught: 29m
Displacement: 530.000t (370000t weight without munition and equipment)
Crew: 600

-Armour
(strength for standard deck armour.)
(from outside to inside)
30cm Kaktus-Naval (5 layer) reactive armour
2cm Stainless steel (Titanium alloy) (for protection against sea water)
10cm Tungsten
3cm Ceramics/Uranium matrix
6cm Uranium/Ceramics matrix (Uranium under Ceramics of upper matrix)
2cm dehardened Iron
2mm stainless steel
3cm compressible gel
20cm Tungsten Perforated armour
0.5mm Zirconium
3cm sintered Uranium-Tungsten
0.5mm Zirconium
5cm MU-Metal
1mm stainless steel
7cm Gadolinium
1cm dehardened iron
1mm stainless steel
2cm Kevlar/Carbon
1cm stainless steel
over all: ca 100cm

Armour thickness greatly varies throughout the ship. The maximum protection covers the bridge with 2.5m in the core of the ship (waterline). There are many compartments and internal armour layers, flooded compartments can be filled with fast hardening foam in order to secure flotation.
The composition of the armour maybe sounds a bit strange, but it offers not only great protection against any known anti ship missle (except the Russian P700 or P800 nuclear) but it also offers great protection from radiation (including neutron bombs). These features are important as such a ship is only useful when used against a high-tech opponent.
The composition of the armour maybe sounds a bit strange, but it offers not only great protection against any known anti ship missle (except the Russian P700 nuclear) but it also offers great protection from radiation (including neutron bombs). These features are important as such a ship is only useful when used against a high-tech opponent.

-Command and Control

The bridge employs all of the officers (20) and is the 100% centre of all operations on the ship. Using an interactive dome projection and shutter glasses it is possible to zoom and monitor the airspace around the ship without loosing control over the possibly many targets. As such a ship is a major target for any attack the computer system must take over the defense operations against airplanes and missles. The automated defense is controlled via the dome control center and the system might ask for authorisation to use the expensive S400 or even S400N missles against major enemy airplane threats (for example TU 160, B2B,F-22 (and yes, it is trackable)). The rest of all the operations happens on a big LCD table where most of the officers monitor enemy units in target range and can quickly transmit their orders directly to the automated weapon system.
There is a separate control centre for the reactors as they can be tricky.

Electronic connections will avoid propertiary interfaces to enable easy upgradeability. Connection to all important systems using fibre based infiniband as it is resistant to EMP blasts.

-Sensor data gathering and analyzing.
The main utility for gathering target coordinates would be a series of phased antenna radars.
mast mounted IR trackers will deliver precise identification of nearby air threats. (Remember that the air-defense capabilities are enourmous but the ship is not designed to fight offensive against enemy airforces (one might wish to add a AA Cruiser to the fleet))
The navigation system must be able to work independent from satellite navigation using sea ground maps and sonar.
All of the gathered data is then added to a real time 3d graphic of the battlefield and transferred to the appropriate control stations.

With its high grade of automatisation it would be much cheaper to maintain than current battleships are. (also remember it can use impure Uranium as fuel which is then transformed into Plutonium)

-Energy:
2 fast breeding reactors. Each reactor delivering 3500MW. or 7 tokomak fusion reactors , with each giving 1000MW

-Propulsion:
MHD-Propulsion using 2 MHD aggregates, 500MW per aggregate (remember only half engine power available when firing railguns and/or lasers)
Resulting maximum speed about 60km/h
cruising speed 50km/h

-Weapons:

2 Vertical launch tubes for (modified) P700 Granit missiles (6missles in storage), each missile equipped with a 750kt Warhead. (600km range, anti ship)

5 Towers on Barbettes, each equipped with 3 railguns. Three towers forward. 2m frontal Tower armor.
Only 1 barrel per Tower can fire at a time while the other 2 barrels have time for cooling.
Caliber: 40cm to 1.2m (weight of a Tungsten shell:2tons)
Rate of fire: 12 s/min per Tower
Projectiles:
Hardened steel
Tungsten
Tungsten carbide
Nuclear shell 20kt
Nuclear shell 10kt bunker buster (anti-Ship, too)
Neutron shell 3kt
Anti Aircraft (no unguided variant) 200kg high explosive fragmentation
HEAS (High explosive anti ship)
Fragmentation rounds for destruction of hardened airfields (carriers)
Range: 350km (600km using additional rocket stage for projetiles)
Flight course changeable at any time

48 computer guided 60mm gatling railguns 3000s/min/ 7km/s speed/10000s mag, advanced flight course prediction (including calculation of potential evasive programs of the missle where multiple cannons disrupt likely course for nuclear anti ship missles)

8 computer guided 30mm gatling railguns 3000s/min/ 7km/s speed/10000s mag, advanced flight course prediction (including calculation of potential evasive programs of the missle where multiple cannons disrupt likely course for nuclear anti ship missles)

12 units RIM-116 (21rocket launcher)
(15km range, IR-guided)

100 SAN-11 Gadfly missles in 10 vertical launch tubes, 42km range (depending on target altitude (up to 25km) anti air

56S400 anti air missles with 400km range. Option for 250kt Warhead

2 High energy MLTK AIR DEFENCE laser turrets 20s/min per turret. Used against Cruise missles.

10 under sea level launch tubes for Barracuda/Shkval rocket torpedoes, 30km range. 100 torpedos on storage

100 deck mounted launchers for PAKET-E/NK anti torpedo weapon system, 100 additional torpedos in storage

30missles in 30 launch tubes SS-N-27 Club / P-900 Alfa anti submarine missle (also usable against surface ships) (300km range). 400kg warhead, option for nuclear 20kt

© 2006-2007 DaSeitz

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
if some body likes the concept , then they could even contribute in improving the idea

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by vK_man
if some body likes the concept , then they could even contribute in improving the idea

Duke Nukem as Commander

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
draw a picture..... really

can it carry animals to safety or is it things like that which will destroy our planet this time round.

sorry, offering contribution in this form cam preventing its contruction which can offer greater rewards

[edit on 23-4-2007 by spearhead]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

Originally posted by vK_man

Duke Nukem as Commander

seriously some more ideas are needed , man

[edit on 23-4-2007 by vK_man]

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It would make a nice target for a nuclear attack sub. Probably sink in about 5 minutes.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
It would make a nice target for a nuclear attack sub. Probably sink in about 5 minutes.

except that it would be armed shkval/barrucuda rocket torpedos to deal with submarines and please read the amror structure , a single CONVENTIONAL ADCAP will not be ADEQUATE, THOUGH A NUCLEAR ONE WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You have to find the sub before you can kill it. That's tough to do. I know I used to do it for a living. Usually your first indication is something called a "Flaming Datum". This ship will make a nice one.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
You have to find the sub before you can kill it. That's tough to do. I know I used to do it for a living. Usually your first indication is something called a "Flaming Datum".

that depends on the ship sonar and command and control , the ship has impressive anti-torpedo defences , through which torpedo will have to make through

plus several torpedos of power of more a ton will be required as the uranium-ceramic-tungsten matrix and combined with reactive armor to absorb the pressure of water created by chemical blasts strength of knell of the ship is monstrous .... the ship armour is specifically designed to survive a close in hit of 5 kt nuke or neutron warhead or a a direct hit of 0.1 kt to 1 kt warhead dependiing on the region it impacts , such is the strength of the warship

You have to find the sub before you can kill it.

that could be achieved if there are uinderwater anti-sub robots to help the ship ...
, also such a ship could be modified to carry a mini-sub like HMS gotland or LADA or type 212 SSK

-----
back to topic , if possible pls contribute some ideas

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
the U.S. Navy has already produced a working 8-megajoule rail gun and is on schedule to be fielding a 32 megajoule variant by this june. The US will have a working 64 megajoule variant adorning the USN by the 2010..

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think you're trying to re-invent a WWI-vintage big gun battleship, a fabulusly expensive armored giant. Too late....!

When big railguns are feasible, this will be a sitting duck for much bigger shore-based railguns with orbital range. I can't really see what the idea is - for the future, IMO much better to have something that's smart, networked, agile, dispersed and unmanned.

posted on Apr, 24 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
vk--loved the concept, enjoyed reading all of it. Enjoyed visualizing it under attack out in open waters. Don't be frustrated by the one liners who feel they can destroy your vision without providing any vision or skill of their own. Good job.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wembley

I think you're trying to re-invent a WWI-vintage big gun battleship, a fabulusly expensive armored giant. Too late....!

When big railguns are feasible, this will be a sitting duck for much bigger shore-based railguns with orbital range. I can't really see what the idea is - for the future, IMO much better to have something that's smart, networked, agile, dispersed and unmanned.

except for the fact that warships has its own defensive railguns to deal such orbital shells and s-400 missiles with nukes to deal with ICBM attacks , by the way the warships consumes more power than 3 medium sized cities i.e 7000 MW ...

kazi posted:

vk--loved the concept, enjoyed reading all of it. Enjoyed visualizing it under attack out in open waters. Don't be frustrated by the one liners who feel they can destroy your vision without providing any vision or skill of their own. Good job.

thank you, this warship is designed to be the Tyrannosaurus REX of the sea

[edit on 27-4-2007 by vK_man]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Interesting to see my concept finding its' way to ATS.

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaSeitz
Interesting to see my concept finding its' way to ATS.

hello daseitz , i decided to put up your concept which is excellent i must say , and yes , it highly impressed me, i wanted to know others reaction to the concept , anyways , i had stated in the first post that concept and specifications are yours ....

by the way whats happened to warfare.ru forum , the page does not open and gives HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden , since the past 3 days, you know anything possibly????

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The concept will possibly be visualized within a few weeks.
Re: I have no Idea what happened to warfare

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaSeitz
The concept will possibly be visualized within a few weeks.
Re: I have no Idea what happened to warfare

seems warfare.ru has been attacked by hackers again ....

concept ???? visualized ???? i don't get what you are saying ...

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
He's going to draw a picture.

Lol.

Sounds interesting, all thought I think we're making a lot of assumptions.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I am building a 3D model of the ship, but with all the details and weapon systems on deck the construction will take a while. You'll see renderings of it, but I don't know when.

posted on Apr, 28 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
If you're going to turn it into a battle between defensive and offensive railguns, then whoever has the most, biggest railguns will win. And that will always be the land-based batteries which can concentrate their fire and overwhelm your defences.

It's a problem that goes back centuries in sea warfare , they called it 'putting wood before walls' in Napoleonic times - i.e. trying to take on solid land-based fortifications with relatively fragile ships. The super-railgun means the shore batteries will have global reach and your ship has nowhwere to hide.

So why not go for a dispersed, networked concept instead that won't be so vulnerable?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join