It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church buries limbo after centuries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

(YahooNews)-VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.

news.yahoo.com...

In a long-awaited document, the Church's International Theological Commission said limbo reflected an "unduly restrictive view of salvation."

news.yahoo.com...

The verdict that limbo could now rest in peace had been expected for years. The document was seen as most likely the final word since limbo was never part of Church doctrine, even though it was taught to Catholics well into the 20th century.

news.yahoo.com...

"The conclusion of this study is that there are theological and liturgical reasons to hope that infants who die without baptism may be saved and brought into eternal happiness even if there is not an explicit teaching on this question found in revelation," it said.

news.yahoo.com...

Full Story here
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
God has mercy on children. The ruling behind getting rid of limbo was a ruling based on man made knowledge. Anyone who reads the Bible would know God would have enough love and mercy to keep an infant from going to hell.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I agree with you DJ. I'm a Roman-Catholic myself, but I found that particular teaching to be a very cold and unreasonable belief. God has an infinite amount of mercy and love. I believe he has better things to do then damn infants to hell, or anyone else for that matter.

Peace,
FK

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
I agree with you DJ. I'm a Roman-Catholic myself, but I found that particular teaching to be a very cold and unreasonable belief. God has an infinite amount of mercy and love. I believe he has better things to do then damn infants to hell, or anyone else for that matter.

Peace,
FK

Its interesting how beliefs and ideologies on the bible keep changing yet supposedly the bible hasn't changed one bit. No wonder so many youth don't believe in religion. Its about time they chose a story and stick with it. The more it changes the more credibility it loses.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It all has to do with man made teachings of the church. I'm not placing the blame on the Catholic Church solely, since I've seen many churches try and make up their own teachings that coincides with the bible. Too many are trying to make going to church "entertaining" by hiring bands and playing rock music, buying big screen TVs and playing movies, or by trying to tie in a political affiliation to their teachings (yes, I understand this isn't "entertaining"
)

Churches need to get back to the true teachings of Jesus and teach tolerance, love, and peace.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
It all has to do with man made teachings of the church. I'm not placing the blame on the Catholic Church solely, since I've seen many churches try and make up their own teachings that coincides with the bible. Too many are trying to make going to church "entertaining" by hiring bands and playing rock music, buying big screen TVs and playing movies, or by trying to tie in a political affiliation to their teachings (yes, I understand this isn't "entertaining"
)

Churches need to get back to the true teachings of Jesus and teach tolerance, love, and peace.

Or actually begin telling us the truth about God instead of giving us their version. Tell the vatican to open their documents up and show us everything. Obviously will never happen which will always leave us wondering what is the truth and what isn't.

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
But there are no True Teachings. There is no Truth about God. It's all opinion and mapping your personal moral values upon what you imagine God to be like.

The Bibles origins are on just as shakey, disputable, man-made, ground as the Limbo concept. Men selecting and rejecting texts written by other men from oral stories told by men.

[edit on 21-4-2007 by emjoi]

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well here is the thing:
Let us say for a moment that a different plane of existence does exist that we call "limbo". IF it exists, does it cease to exist just because a bunch of humans sitting in their little building with their little hats says so?
Well..therin lies the thing. Once put into the minds of so many, the thought of limbo existing thereby makes it exist on some level. So is the reverse true? They say it doesn't exist so now it POOF doesn't?
I hold to the theorum that ALL things exist on some level. IE:
If I myself create a place in my mind with much detail it then exists on some level even if it is only within the contents of my own mind. It gets spread even futher if I tell others of it and some percent in turn of those people believe it.

I find such things interesting.

posted on Apr, 25 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well i think the important thing about this whole ordeal is the fact that people should learn to think for themselves and not let a church, govern their beliefs and ideals. Because they can be as wrong or as right as us regular people.

top topics

join