It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers explore scrapping Internet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Oh, I see. Misunderstood your post for some stupid reason. Do you know any more details about what this proposed plan includes?

No problem

No sorry I don't know any more details, because they haven't revealed exactly what it is that they want to do, but this isn't new, they have talked about redesigning the internet before.

But I have no doubt in my mind about the real motives behind this idea.

Let's hope it won't go through.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is a most disturbing move for the internet community as a whole. It strikes a chord with me at least because of the potential impact on everyone's 1st Amendment rights.

To semi-quote a famous statement: "One small step for man, one giant leap towards Communism."

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

NEW YORK - Although it has already taken nearly four decades to get this far in building the Internet, some university researchers with the federal government's blessing want to scrap all that and start over.

The idea may seem unthinkable, even absurd, but many believe a "clean slate" approach is the only way to truly address security, mobility and other challenges that have cropped up since UCLA professor Leonard Kleinrock helped supervise the first exchange of meaningless test data between two machines on Sept. 2, 1969.

What will they scrap?
Internet is not only english
but Russian,
chinese,
arabic,
italian,
german,
indian
etc as well
They would need linguistics as well to know who is violating the copyrights, don't they?
or to restore order...

I don't know much about informatics so i apologise if this doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike
What will they scrap?

Not the language, not necessarily the content, at first... but they will scrap the "infrastructure" in favor of a totally new redesigned infrastructure... and that is where the real changes will come into play.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I would suggest that the real control is by who owns the wires or airwaves to carry the data. If the government could force the carriers to comply, a bandit internet or old internet could be controlled. Hopefully this will not happen.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike
What will they scrap?
Internet is not only english
but Russian,
chinese,
arabic,
italian,
german,
indian
etc as well
They would need linguistics as well to know who is violating the copyrights, don't they?
or to restore order...

I don't know much about informatics so i apologise if this doesn't make sense.

They are talking about the Internet protocols, the 'language' that the computers use to communicate to each other.

For a machine to communicate with another, through the internet, it needs to do certain things, needs to follow a protocol.

Here you can find simple description of the Internet Protocol. You can also check the wikipedia entry if you're interested in more information.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is a stupid idea, and would cause so many problems worldwide.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Danx: You mean they want to scrap TCP/IP then?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by souls
Look at what Microsoft has started doing with it's new operating system. And I'm pretty sure a lot of us use Microsoft products.

Well, we know what to do about that, download the .iso image for the live Linux CD (see my new sig), you don't even need to install it to try it out, it can run just on RAM, see how it works on your computer. (test drive only, no saving files permanently), then install on your Hard Drive dual booting with windows and Linux if you decide it works good for you.
I tried out Linux again because I do not want to EVER have to use Vista, NO thanks! I am Happy with my Ubuntu, I havent used windows in over a month now.

Linux is FREE, you own it, you don't rent it, and it also means freedom, try it and you will know what I mean. I enjoy the feeling of goodwill Linux brings, people volunteer to make Linux what it is.
No more Windows.
Linux is easier than you thought and getting better, things are changing, Linux needs your support.

PS, 'Feisty Fawn' will be officially released in less than a week!

[edit on 14-4-2007 by Toadmund]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by puhatek

How so?

Care to elaborate on how this would cause problems worldwide?

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Danx: You mean they want to scrap TCP/IP then?

Yes.

Most likely they will create a new infrastructure too, because the way the internet is set up at the moment, you can have your own DNS server, mail server, web server, etc and doesn't require the control of anyone but yourself.

They will most likely try to adapt the system so that doesn't happen.

Also, considering the ammount of 'unwanted' material (by governments and corporations) on the internet, they need new protocols so information isn't as unidentifiable/untraceable as it is now.

Of course all these things sound good if the people in charge have noble intentions, but we've seen these systems/technologies being abused so frequently these days, we can never be sure.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think the one thing you are all failing to remember or consider is that Al Gore is currently doing the whole Global Warming thing at the moment and would not have the time to oversee this project. As he is the inventor of the original internet, after all.

[edit on 14/4/07 by tkmelb]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
DAMN THE MAN!! SAVE THE INTERNET!!

TRG* grabs her pom poms and starts to lead the chant............

I wanted to act all aghast and say stuff like 'they CANT DO THIS!"
But I know better....
'THEY' seem to do whatever they want, like steal the office of the President of the USA, and then fly planes into buildings to scare the crap out of us........we know that frightened people are easily controlled.

sigh.
I am just starting to really feel comfortable with the computor.
I was given one in 2002 and I don't even know how to type......I have just explored my way around learning as I go..........I bet this 'internet 2' will be vastly more complicated

They would do that just to keep us guessing.

[edit on 14-4-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

I believe you can stay comfortable with your computer for quite a while longer, the transition will be slow and the phase out or "clean slate" of the current Internet will for the most part go by unnoticed by most of us. Changes in infrastructure may slowly change the way we access the Internet, the increase in control over content and free exchange of information however may become entirely noticeable.

A decade from now, who knows.. global control of all communications systems, as more and more communications systems begin to interact with the Internet, and ultimately become a part of the new Internet.

Brilliant concept, if indeed that is what the plan is.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Buying from Microsoft is supporting economic freedom.
Linux is just the free alternative.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Linux is FREE, you own it, you don't rent it, and it also means freedom, try it and you will know what I mean. I enjoy the feeling of goodwill Linux brings, people volunteer to make Linux what it is.
- Quote from Toadmund

Ubuntu is amazing! Im a BSD guy, however, I was asked to check it out and now I use it on my laptop. I am absolutely impressed.

Im also impressed with the community behind it. Only reason why I dont use it on my desktop is because of BF2. Cant seem to get WINE to allow me to play it in a linux environment.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I know this is off topic but..

Originally posted by madmangunradio
Im also impressed with the community behind it. Only reason why I dont use it on my desktop is because of BF2. Cant seem to get WINE to allow me to play it in a linux environment.

Have you tried cedega?

Battlefield 2 is officially supported.

ps: openbsd > *

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
You only have to look at the GPS debate. America is always being selective about access to it. So the Europeans build their own. Galileo is a product of the European Union and the European Space Agency.

So American can lock its GPS system for military reasons. While the rest of the world waves goodbye and uses either the Galileo system or the russian GLONASS system.

So as with the Internet the rest of the world just sidestep America.

America needs to be careful about being left behind!

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

I believe you can stay comfortable with your computer for quite a while longer, the transition will be slow and the phase out or "clean slate" of the current Internet will for the most part go by unnoticed by most of us. Changes in infrastructure may slowly change the way we access the Internet, the increase in control over content and free exchange of information however may become entirely noticeable.

A decade from now, who knows.. global control of all communications systems, as more and more communications systems begin to interact with the Internet, and ultimately become a part of the new Internet.

Brilliant concept, if indeed that is what the plan is.

I dont blame you for your short sighted confidence. You see an obsticle the PTB need to pass, and you believe they will do anything they have to to do it. well...

How so?

how about global commerce. how many companies all over the world rely on the existing infastructure. advertising, credit cards, ect.

Face it folks, we are talking about the beginning of an all changing technological revolution, designed to better control the exchange of information, they can tell you it will improve performance and security, and show you all the amazing new user friendly features, and you will warm up to this new Internet, and accept it as a benevolent necessity, a part of the evolution, and the next phase of mankind's advancement.

Just who are "they" and what web sites do they have to attract people?

are you talking about useing government freindly corps to do the dirty work?

how much profit do you think they will lose before they give up on that campaign? the big corps are public, are they going to doctor all the books to keep investors?

Like the governments and the central banking act... we have become absolutley dependent on the existing internet community and we are going to have to live with it and figure out a way to make it better.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom goose

How so?

how about global commerce. how many companies all over the world rely on the existing infastructure. advertising, credit cards, ect.

Much like when operating systems change, the global business community will make necessary upgrades to their network servers and networked computers to keep everything compatible with new software.

If the infrastructure changes, and there is a "new Internet" global commerce, and "companies all over the world" will find few obstacles to these changes, after all these changes are meant to make things better for business on the Internet "better performance and better security"

I'm sure the transition, and changing infrastructure will be slow enough that everyone can adjust, especially business, and commerce, and most importantly, interfacing the new Internet with communication systems, such as new cell phones, and other communications devices that can access or use the Internet.

Of course only time will tell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join