It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Bank Pledges `Expeditious' Ruling on Wolfowitz

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

World Bank Pledges `Expeditious' Ruling on Wolfowitz

www.bloomberg.com

Calls of ``resign, resign'' resounded through the World Bank's atrium yesterday when Wolfowitz, 63, addressed employee representatives. Staff Association head Alison Cave said it was the first time the group had called for a bank president to go.

Wolfowitz sent a memo to the bank's personnel manager ``directing him to reach an agreement with the staff member and specifying in detail the terms and conditions,'' the directors' statement said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Wolfowitz says "sorry".

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Will Wolfowitz survive this obvious abuse of privelege? He has apologized and said he made a mistake, that's a good one, I am not buying it, if this guy is that incompetent to think this was a mistake, what in the world is his qualification to be President of the World Bank?

Oh I forgot, he was appointed by President Bush.....

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hes very incompetent. And to prove it, how did he get the job? From the good pres. Bush. (Who is also incompetent. lol)

We need real people with real experiences to run the World Bank.

But unfortunately, that isn't going to happen.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
If the man had contributed his "mistake" to his actual problem - abuse of power, then maybe his apology would seem legitimate, but looking at everything he's done in the past, including his creation of the "Bush Doctrine" (originally entitled the "Wolfowitz Doctrine"), which is what led us into Iraq, I'd say the guy needs to quit and be tried.

[edit on 13-4-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Hopefully the story gets some legs.
here's another

Wolfowitz fights for job after memo

Paul Wolfowitz, the President of the World Bank, was fighting for his job yesterday after being forced to make a humiliating apology for ordering a huge pay rise and a promotion for his girlfriend, an official at the bank.

The board of the World Bank was meeting in Washington yesterday morning to decide the fate of Mr Wolfowitz, the controversial former US Deputy Defence Secretary, after adjourning discussions earlier in the day. There was rising speculation that Mr Wolfowitz could be forced to resign or even be sacked, in what would be an unprecedented move, but some observers felt it to be likelier that he would escape with a severe rebuke.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This is crazy. I can't believe we have complete morons in such high ranking positions!

I liked Pres. Bush in the beginning. (Don't ask why lol) but he turned out to be an utter retard. He's had his moments I guess? But it doesn't make up for the fiasco's he's making America pay for.

And this Wolfowitz character, I mean come on. We are all tied to ethical choices no matter what position we have, and it appears that he tossed all those out the window to better his friends lives.

I guess birds of a feather do flock together.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Some new revelations concerning Wolfie's decision to pay the friend a healthy undeserving compensation. Read the article, does this appear to be "hush money" to avoid a lawsuit? I thought they were friends, maybe former friends and a woman scorned? Either way if he survives this fiasco, I disown the US government, no wonder everyone hates our country....

Release of documents may be fatal blow

There were also fresh challenges to Mr Wolfowitz’s suggestion that he was acting to protect the institution when he secured a large pay rise and promotion for a bank official with whom he was romantically involved.

The board was told there was no real risk that the bank would be successfully sued by the woman concerned, Shaha Riza, if she had been asked to leave with compensation rather than be offered an attractive secondment package, the bank’s then senior legal officer told the Financial Times.

Mr Wolfowitz said in a statement on Thursday that he had acted partly “in order to take responsibility for settling an issue that I believed had potential to harm the institution”. He “believed there was a legal risk if this was not resolved by mutual agreement”.

Can it get any worse? Am I missing something here?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wish people would stop calling Bush and Co. stupid or incompetent. They arent stupid, rather, they're keenly self interested and motivated, and this is yet another example of it.

IMO, the entire World Bank is in desperate need for complete reform, or complete dismantlement.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   
More information on the Wolfowitz/World Bank/Nepotism corruption scandal. This is an article from today describing some of the things Wolfie did in regards to his girlfriend.

“I made a mistake, for which I am sorry” -Wolfowitz

Is that the best you can come up with Paulie?

I’m a wronged woman, says girlfriend in Wolfowitz scandal

THE British woman at the centre of a scandal that could force Paul Wolfowitz to resign as president of the World Bank has said that she is a victim of the controversy and that she was forced to change jobs against her wishes because of their romantic relationship.

Shaha Ali Riza, a bank official who was moved to the State Department with a large pay rise after Wolfowitz’s appointment, revealed her distress in a memo to an investigating committee.

“I have now been victimised for agreeing to an arrangement that I have objected to and that I did not believe from the outset was in my best interest,” she wrote.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This new report alleges Paulie ordered a contractor to hire his girlfriend
back in 2003, she was paid expenses only. Why was she there? was she reporting to Wolfie the goings on in the newly liberated country?

LINK

The scandal and controversy surrounding World Bank President and prominent “necon” Paul Wolfowitz continues to blossom:

The U.S. Defense Department ordered a contractor to hire a World Bank employee and girlfriend of then-Pentagon No. 2 Paul Wolfowitz in 2003 for work related to Iraq, the contractor said on Tuesday.

A spokeswoman for Science Applications International Corp., or SAIC, said the Defense Department’s policy office directed the company to enter a subcontract with Shaha Riza, under which she spent a month studying ways to form a government in Iraq.

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I bet secretly bush is FUMING.

They placed him there, in that position because behind the scenes, there's some way he can contrubite to the agenda being done around the world.

And he let his own personal greed over-come the greater good.

Once a neo-con, always a Neo-con.

Hopefully, the world bank will kick him out, unfortunately I dont think he's going to leave.

posted on Apr, 19 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The World Bank directors are meeting today to debate what to do with Wolfowitz, meanwhile in this article, it is reported that Paulie was asked to step down from his position with the bank:

LINK

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A deputy to Paul Wolfowitz urged the World Bank chief on Wednesday to resign in the interests of the institution during a meeting of the bank's management, sources who participated in the meeting said.

The sources told Reuters that World Bank Managing Director Graeme Wheeler, a bank veteran named by Wolfowitz as one of his two deputies a year ago, raised the issue at a meeting of the bank's vice presidents.

Asked to comment, World Bank spokesman Marwan Muasher said: "I feel it is inappropriate to comment on private meetings."

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
What is this a stall tactic?

How much evidence does this board need to make a decision?

The board adjourned it's meeting yesterday without coming to a decision, but reiterated it's desire to act ``urgently, effectively and in an orderly'' manner.

www.bloomberg.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">LINK

The board's failure to reach a quick decision gives Wolfowitz, 63, more time to marshal support among the bank's 185 member nations as he seeks to hang on to his job amid demands from employees that he quit.

Wolfowitz's contract and possible conflicts of interest will be considered by the ad-hoc group, as well as arrangements made on behalf of his partner, Shaha Riza, 52, described in the statement as the ``staff member closely associated with the president.'' The board will also look into job contracts of people in Wolfowitz's office and public communications made by the bank related to the matter.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Well, if we fire him, we run the risk of puttin him back on the 'lets bomb Iran ' scene...

least he cant do to much damage on the world bank scene.

posted on Apr, 20 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Id say the world bank is just as deadly of a position as a spot on bush's foreign policy boards.

But then again, my opnion is pretty bias. im no fan of the World Bank

[edit on 20-4-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Apr, 27 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Well, after their announcement to give an expedited ruling, the Board of the World Bank has really come down hard on Wolfowitz.

What did they do?

They wrote Wolfie a letter asking him to step down.

Paul is supposed to appear before the board next Monday.

Will he resign his position? Not likely he is still trying to keep his job.

“I am deeply troubled and feel that I am being treated shabbily and unfairly without regard to appropriate process.” He should have stopped at : "I am deeply troubled." This I can agree with.

here's the story:

Bank officials warn Wolfowitz 'a liability'

Bank officials around the world were being told that the bank should put its own house in order before it started preaching at other people to clamp down on bribery and political chicanery, they said.

“As is known, there are reports from the field offices of concrete cases where the bank’s policy dialogue and operational work on governance and anti-corruption are being undermined,” the group wrote in the letter, obtained by the Reuters news agency.

“The credibility of our front line staff is eroding in the face of legitimate questions from our clients about the bank’s ability to ’practice what it preaches’ on governance.”

How long will this go on?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
"Next Monday" means this coming Monday?

Here'sa sharp analyse from Washington Post.

The Price Of 'We Know Best'

By David Ignatius
Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Wolfowitz has failed at the World Bank not because his underlings were out to get him (though many probably were) but because he treated the organization itself as an enemy. He saw its professional staff as an impediment to achieving his goals, rather than as a potential ally. Instead of heeding advice to work with the prickly international staff and win them over, he installed a palace guard of Americans who, like him, exuded the cocky "we know best" confidence of the Bush administration.

This disdain for career staff officers -- whether at the Pentagon, the CIA, the Justice Department or an international agency such as the World Bank -- is a defining characteristic of the Bush administration and a big reason for its undoing. Administration officials are arrogant -- no other way to put it. They ignore the advice of the professionals, whom they regard as obstacles to their agenda of transformation. In their impetuous self-confidence, they become wreckers.

This hubris recurs again and again. We saw it in Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's high-handed management style, in Vice President Cheney's continuous pressure on CIA analysts to bolster the administration's message on Iraq, in CIA Director Porter Goss's purge of agency officers suspected of disloyalty, in Attorney General Alberto Gonzales's treatment of career attorneys at Justice.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

new topics

top topics

join