It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a ghost! What now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
First of all, hi! I've been reading through the Paranormal Studies forum for quite some time now, and I've finally mustered enough brain power to develop my own pertinent question.

It's posed on two levels, depending on your experiences.

Firstly, for those that have actually witnessed paranormal activity. How has this effected you? Let's say it happened in a specific location, have you ever been back? Were you open minded to such events to begin with, or did you enter into irreversible fear? Did the encounter alter your perception or attitude towards life at all, and how you live it? Basically, are you now afraid of the dark?

Secondly, for those of you who have no yet witnessed any activity. I can only really ask one question here: how do you think any contact would effect you?

I'll start the ball rolling then. Although I have vague memories of what I now consider to be 'paranormal' activity, none of it is recent enough to have any lasting effect on me asides intrigue. I feel that, if I were to witness these events now, in all their lucidity, it would have a lasting effect on me. For example, if I saw a black figure at the bottom of my bed, I would very likely never sleep in that room again. I can imagine it would bring me to the point of tears. If I was at home - alone or with company - and I experienced poltergeist activity, I would run away, far away, for a very long time. Of course I would post it on here, but I can guarantee you I would be paranoid for the rest of my life, by chance of that next encounter.

Thank you for your time,
BLUE

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Ah, but poltergeists are usually associated with people rather than places, so running away may not do you very much good...

Okay, I'll bite.
Me - I've been interested in paranormal phenomenon since I found a ghostie book in the local library around age 7 (long time ago). It had all the classic photies in it, the one of the spookie monk guy at Newby Church gave me the jitters, but I was hooked. I have had a few paranormal experiences of my own - I was mainly intrigued by them, encouraged to do more reading and research. I have also sought out experiences, like going on a ghost hunt at Tutbury castle for example - I did experience something there - we sat in the dark in the room above what had been the dungeon (which was itself caved in and inaccessible), and among other things, something started throwing pebbles at us. I was a bit jittery, probably with the thought of being so close to the dungeon and thinking of all those poor folks getting tortured more than anything else - it wouldn't stop me going back and doing it again, next time I'd probably be more composed if anything.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I've never personally experienced anything paranormal, except one time I thought perhaps an angel had intervened when I was a child to prevent me hurting myself..

I was running around an 'olden day' goldmine area (Karangahake Gorge NZ) with my siblings and father when I was 7 or so. There are some rather high drop-offs there and I guess I was running around stupidly because I was young.

Anyway I was going pretty fast in a corridor type area with big stones around and suddenly I felt a breezey soft 'push' on my chest. I slowed down to a complete stop JUST on the edge of a 15 or so metre drop. At the time I was stumped as to why I stopped - although I remember the breezy push very well. I immediately knew something strange had just happened and returned to my family, where my dad told me to stop running around or I might fall and hurt myself. I've kept the experience to myself to this day.

Back on topic, I have never seen or felt a ghost, demon or entity. I am very open-minded on the topic however actually 'seeing' something feels like an experience that would happen in a different reality. I have run through what I would do if I did see a ghost - try and find out what it wants.

If it actually happened? I'd probably start crying or something like that. I don't fully know - as I said it feels like something that would never ever happen in this reality.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Ha, how I'm going to enjoy answering this one!

I have not 'seen' a ghost, but I have, by definition and plausible reasoning talked to something of the nature. But has this changed me? Yes, since the incident I have been very open to the fact of contact, but find myself a little more...paranoid I guess you could say. Now and then I could swear I hear sounds no more then wind that come to me like soft whispers. Though I've always been the one to question bumps in the night, I can't say I sleep any less. But now as apposed to before I sleep with the History Channel on, which balances out, its either something like Modern Marvels or UFO Files, good shows to calm the nerves and help sharpen the mind!

The event happened in my house, in my room, through my computer. And I'm glad to say it hasn't grown horns yet! So I still use it daily, but to answer the question 'what now?' I suppose you sit and wait, not much else you can do but live your life, share your experience like I do, and try to explain events like it!

On a side note, if anyone is interested in listening to the event I was writing of, we happened to post it on podcast. I'll provide a link to the first part, I'm sure if your interested you'll look the rest up! Thanks!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh, and the only reason I post the link above is not for my personal gain, but I felt that when we released it, it didn't get very much attention, and it's still looking for someone to take a listen here to see what they can think of, thanks! happy Hunting!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   

by Bluelol: " Firstly, for those that have actually witnessed paranormal activity. How has this effected you? Let's say it happened in a specific location, have you ever been back? Were you open minded to such events to begin with, or did you enter into irreversible fear? Did the encounter alter your perception or attitude towards life at all, and how you live it? Basically, are you now afraid of the dark?"

I've seen 3 'ghosts'. One had been dead only a few days. One had been dead for approx. 30 to 40 years. Re: the third: shortly after seeing him, his identity was revealed to me (by a living person) and I was informed he had died approx. 6 months previously. This latter apparition is the only one whose identity I know for certain.

I was once threatened by a very authoritative and powerful (and physically large) entity which appeared behind me in my locked home.

I've had encounters with other entities and have experienced various paranormal incidents (precognition via dreams and 'flashes', sensing or 'knowing' when things are going to happen or have happened, non-human intervention on my behalf and to my benefit, shared dreams, Oobe's, etc. -- all spontaneously) throughout my life.

How has this effected you?

Basically, it's convinced me that life is far more complex than it appears on the surface. It's also convinced me that the after-life will probably be equally complex.

Most of the time however, I forget about it and just get on with life, particularly as I grow older. The paranormal doesn't have a great deal of application in everyday life. It's probably best not to dwell on it too deeply. It can lead people down roads to nowhere and tie up energy that would be better applied to the practicalities of living. We'll all be dead soon enough and then all will be revealed --- or not. It's interesting, but that interest is best kept in check, imo.

.... have you ever been back?

Yes. I continued to live in paranormal zoo throughout several years, of necessity. It was an active time, paranormally speaking.

... were you open-minded to such events to begin with?

Yes, because I began experiencing paranormal phenomena from a young age.

.... did you enter into irreversible fear?

Don't know about 'irreversible', but I came close to losing it on a few occasions and was severely scared (8.5 to 9 on a scale of 10) on more than a few.

Primarily though, the reaction is one of shock -- classic shock symptoms. And I feel these result in something similar to Post Traumatic Stress. I suffer greatly heightened 'startle' response for example and experience something similar (I suppose) to the 'aura' experienced by those who suffer from epilepsy, shortly prior to paranormal events. In other words, I can sometimes 'feel it coming' and know when 'it' (a forthcoming paranormal event) is immediately imminent. Panic is another reaction. Paranormal experiences can also lead to depression.

I've had positive paranormal experiences and these, as would be expected, have resulted in elevated mood through to moments of bliss.

Did the encounter alter your perception or attitude towards life at all, and how you live it?

I don't know because the paranormal's been with me, on and off, for as long as I can remember. I think I was more idealistic with regard to non-physical entities, prior to some of the bullying and sinister paranormal experiences and attacks. After those, I was forced to accept that not everything of a 'spiritual' or 'paranormal' origin is necessarily 'good'. So that was a scary time, for a while. But at the same time, some of the experiences have been 'good', so that's reason to hope. And throughout, I've never lost my faith in a source of ultimate goodness and protection. So the spiritual realms have shown (to me at least) that they're similar to our 3D world where some living people are great, some not so great and some awful and you just have to try to make your way through it all.

Basically, are you now afraid of the dark?

That depends on the circumstances. I'm afraid of some places and situations in the daylight ! Over the years, I've lived in some creepy places. At the time, I must have blanked it out, through necessity. When I look back, I wonder how I managed to live there. But I always kept a light on somewhere at nights, and still do. On occasion though, the dark has seemed quite nice. At others, I've forced myself to go for walks at night, in some fairly dangerous places. I told myself that other people do it and so could I. Which is good, because it builds confidence. When it comes right down to it, we're all in the dark: we survive thanks to luck or whatever. If something's going to get you, then it will, no matter what you do. That said, there are some places I wouldn't step foot in. Yes, sometimes I'm afraid of the dark.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLUELol
How has this effected you?

Depends. Each situation was different. Some had effects. Some did not. Some I sought out. Others I didn't. Some I wished would go far, far, away.

Whenever we move into a new house (or new school, or new work environment) I always try to get a feel for it. Will the spooks here be bad? Will they be relatively quiet? Will we have spiritual problems? That sort of thing. That is how I have been effected mostly.

Let's say it happened in a specific location, have you ever been back?

I'm a haunted person. No matter what house I live in, there are spirits,
so I can't just leave. They are annoying at times, but I just put up with them. So far, none have been violent.

Also - one work place was haunted. I was stuck there for three years (US ARMY post) and I couldnt' go AWOL and refuse my duty station because of a mean bunch of spooks. (yes, those were mean).

Other places - like Vanderbilt Hospital when my husband had back surgery - the check in room was haunted. A woman spirit who was miserable and who died in the hospital (pretty sure) lurked there and was checking out everyone who was checking in. We were only their briefly so we didn't have to go back. I feel for the people working there - they must feel her melancholy and it must effect them.

A hotel we stayed in, in Hawaii (Big ISland) was haunted. It had a spook or two in it that was EVIL. We never went back to that hotel.

Ghost hunting - I go on ghost hunts but I'm only in those places a few hours and then I move on. I don't mind spooks on ghost hunts. I seek them out to learn and to experience the feelings so that I can understand things better.

Were you open minded to such events to begin with, or did you enter into irreversible fear?

It's been there forever ... my whole life .. so I never had to become 'open minded'. It's a part of life.

Did the encounter alter your perception or attitude towards life at all, and how you live it?

It's always been there so there was no altering involved. And as far as how I live my life .... see the next answer.

I am afraid to be ALONE in the dark. We have nightlights all over the place.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Secondly, for those of you who have no yet witnessed any activity. I can only really ask one question here: how do you think any contact would effect you?

Whenever anyone is confronted with something outside their normal understanding, they usually go through some pretty well-defined psychological stages. I suppose I'd probably go through them, just like everybody else. People will usually:

1) Try to determine if what they're seeing or feeling is an internal or external effect. (Did the ground move, or did I just lose my balance? Is that a ghost, or am I hallucinating?)

2) Related to #1, they'll try to get a consensus from other people around them as to the "reality" of the thing. (Did you just see what I saw? What was that?)

3) Try to put it into an already defined category of understanding. (That was no ghost, just some weird reflection in the glass.)

4) If they can't find a good category immediately, they'll conjecture and explore possible explanations. This can go on for a while. Wanting to understand something increases tension. It's our old monkey brains at work, trying to get us some food, sex or protection from danger.

5) At some point around here, people usually either drop the subject to reduce the tension, or they'll become more agitated and furiously seek more evidence. Some will "latch on" to a possible explanation and try to force their experience to match. In the realms of paranormal explanations, sometimes people will become zealous advocates of a particular wild notion, in an effort to prove their own conjectures correct.

This process is the same for ghosts, UFOs, or other kinds of strange goings-on. As I said, when we don't know something, and we don't have enough evidence to make a good identification, it gives us a physiological rush, with increased adrenalin and the whole thing.

That's why "kooks," whether they're about ghosts or UFOs or whatever, tend to be like annoying drug addicts. It's because they actually are somewhat addicted to the rush of conjecture and looking for explanations. They get a little buzz from believing they saw a ghost, even if there ain't no such things.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I used to work at a location which was well known to be haunted. I don’t really believe that what folk’s term as “Ghosts” are the spirits of dead people hanging out, yet there were certainly things that happened at this location which defy explanation. I have also had some strange things happen in the place I just moved too in the last year. The only correlation that I have seen so far is that both locations seemed to have a lot of EMF in them.

Firstly, for those that have actually witnessed paranormal activity. How has this effected you?

Other then being something strange or just kind of neat, it really did not effected me at all. There is that second or two right after something happens were you get that shocked double take, but that was about it. Only twice that I actually felt scared, and I really cannot explain it other then to say I felt that if I had remained where I was that something really bad was going to happen to me. It was almost a kind of threatening feeling.

Let's say it happened in a specific location, have you ever been back?

Yep, frequently.

Were you open minded to such events to begin with, or did you enter into irreversible fear?

I am always open-minded, though I am skeptical of all things. As I mentioned above I did get a threatening feeling once, which was a bit frightening. There was one location where stuff would turn on by itself all night long. We would have to go down there and shut things back of sometimes 15 or 20 times a night. Also whenever you would walk past this hallway it would appear that there was a silhouette of a person leaning against the wall. Even though I always expected to see that silhouette, it somehow always startled me, and of course when you looked directly at it there was nothing there.
Well, anyhow, that room had a window in it, and one night I decided I would stand outside the window and see if I could tell what was making stuff turn on in the room. As I approached the window I got this horribly overwhelming sense of dread or panic, like if I remained in that area something was going to literally tear my face off. So I left the area…

Not really, to me it was just an oddity that really did not effect me in anyway other then to give me a neat story to tell from time to time.

Nope, as a matter of fact, I am most likely less so, as I experienced this stuff with no ill effects. The paranormal does not scare me, people scare me.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Thanks alot guys! They were some really though out and contrived replies there! It seems no one has really had any long-lasting 'scary' repercutions yet, although I'm sure there must be someone out there!

It interests me alot on how these sightings effect people. I could read all day about all of the odd things people have witnessed, but they never go as far as to provide insight on how this effected them.

It seems you're a brave bunch!

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Thanks alot guys! They were some really though out and contrived replies there! It seems no one has really had any long-lasting 'scary' repercutions yet, although I'm sure there must be someone out there!

It interests me alot on how these sightings effect people. I could read all day about all of the odd things people have witnessed, but they never go as far as to provide insight on how this effected them.

It seems you're a brave bunch!

I don't know so much Bluelol, I think that it's more a case of - despite how the supernatural is painted in fiction, when you do get to meet up with it face to face, so to speak, mostly it just isn't that scarey. It can often be very mundane even, and if you think about it, spirits are just people who've moved on, ghosts are just bits of stuff they've left behind. The fear is created through our own expectations, because our culture tells us that it's all supposed to be scarey, but once you realise that the origin of the fear lies within rather than without you can put it aside.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by skjalddis]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm sure theres some people out there who are as you said, scared. But I doubt you'll find them on ATS, in the 'Paranormal' section replying to a post like this. If I ever had a experience so mind altering that you couldn't keep your composure, the last thing I'd want to do is come to a place thats chock full O' paranormal. To compare, someone who's afraid deathly of clowns goes to like, a circus day after day. But theres those who are scared, I knew I was shook up that night, I turned on the light in the hallway the event happened in the light blew, everything flashed green, that got me jumpy.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
BLUElol: I think most would tell you that it really does depend on the circumstances.

It's one thing to discuss ghosts for example in a forum, and totally different to be alone at night in a locked house, with your small children sleeping just down the hall .... and suddenly a complete stranger 'appears' before you in your own living room.

At that point it's not a matter of mere academic interest. This is happening where you live! It's your home. It's all you have. It's the place where your family is supposed to be safe.

It's pretty horrible to discover that your family isn't safe in its own home. I'd installed safety screens and the usual locks and safeguards against living intruders, as you do. So when you've been confronted by a ghost standing large as life and in full colour, just a few metres away, you feel impotent, helpless, confused, etc. --- once you've recovered from the shock.

I didn't want visitations from non-living entities, any more than I wanted living intruders to invade my family's lives. I wanted a normal, safe and happy life for my family.

When a ghost invades your space, particularly in your home, you feel as if the walls have just fallen away, leaving you exposed. There's nowhere to run. And it's not as if you can just sell your home and take your children out of school and move far away. Often you can't afford to do so and in any case, how would you explain it to your family? I had no intention of telling my children about the paranormal activity in the house. I didn't want to scare them.

So, in a case like that, which is more common than people realise, you keep the experience/s to yourself and work at ensuring everyone (your family and yourself) are healthy & happy -- even the house itself. You go on as if the experience/s haven't happened. You fill the house with laughter and fresh air and sunlight and put the experience behind you each time, in the same way you do with disasters you can't undo. Some people are able to convince themselves that they 'imagined' the experience/s.

Privately, you are vigilant. I used to put open Bibles next to the children's beds and I prayed constantly. In those days I didn't discuss any of it with anyone and didn't know what else to do. Always left at least one light on at nights. And I basically slept with one eye open, doing sweeps of the hall which led to the children's room.

You cannot afford to give into terror and I refused to harbour constant 'expectation' that frightening experiences would happen again, because to do so would (I sensed) be to invite 'more'.

In a way, your mind splits. Outwardly, you behave normally. After all, the housework and homework etc. have to be attended to. But there's another part of you behind the scenes that is permanently in warrior mode. Or at least that's how it was for me. You create a mental cloak of protection in which you enfold your family. The warrior in you is dedicated to maintaining that protection at all costs, against anything that might attempt to breech (sp?) it. It's there, beneath the 'normal' you and your normal, happy, casual appearing exterior.

It was as if I grew psychic muscles. Normally I'm a craven coward. But I grew those muscles because I had to. It happened automatically. We're all a lot stronger than we know. Sometimes we find out how strong we are.

The moment I stepped into that house, I 'knew' something else was already there. A group of 'somethings', actually. If I'd had a choice, I would have grabbed the kids and headed out that instant. But we had nowhere else to go. The place had been paid for. I would have been locked up if I'd claimed the place was infested with horrible things and that I wanted to cancel the purchase. So right then, while I was talking cheerily to the children, something in my mind just separated and told the 'things': ' Right. This is our place now. We're here to stay and it's YOU who'll be leaving.' I was utterly amazed to hear 'myself' saying these things. It had happened automatically-- I hadn't had to even think about it. The warrior was already there inside me, and I'd never known before.

But 'they' didn't want to leave. At first I didn't realise the extent of the situation. I'd put that first-moment incident out of my mind -- told myself the 'things' must have left. The furniture was now in place, the pictures hung, the lawns mowed. It was a nice house. I relaxed.

Nothing happened for quite a while. I'd replaced the 'sinister' atmosphere with 'our' feelings and vibes. We'd made the place 'ours'. I was busy. Everything seemed ok.

Then things began happening. And each time, when I'd recovered, I told myself I might have been mistaken or imagined it. I knew really that I hadn't. This went on for years. I thought I was the only one in the family who knew we were sharing our home with some really ghastly characters. It was only after I finally gave in, sold up and moved, that I learned, bit by bit, that other family members had been aware too. And they had kept it to themselves too. Pretty common situation, apparently.

If you put all the paranormal experiences (the bad ones) together and experienced them in one sitting, you'd probably lose your mind & end up in a corner, making unintelligible noises. But spaced out, with normal, happy times in between, you can manage. I think it must be that way for most.

Another reason people struggle through these situations is the fact there's really no-one you can turn to or even discuss it with. Discussing the paranormal in forums is fine, but not in real life, as a rule. People look at you strangely afterwards and avoid you or talk about you with others. Your credibility is demolished; personally and professionally. People decide you're crazy & weird, unstable and not to be relied upon ---
'someone best avoided'. That impacts on your children. So you keep it to yourself and cope as best you can in private whilst making sure you appear 'normal' in every respect to others -- even if you have seen a ghost in the living room late at night.

It's not bravery. Really, it's lonely and frightening.

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
My experience is a little different because I didn't see any ghost/spirit while awake but I think it may qualify. I'll start by saying that My Grandparents made the most loving, positive impression in My life than anyone else(props to the gparents!) In 1989 My Pap died quite unexpectedly. When My Pap retired(1980-ish) He purchased a beachhouse in VA. for the family. All summer long family came and went. It was the center for both sides of Our family to connect and look forward to every year. The back porch was the gathering area. It's where We ate meals, played cards, drank beer and ate crabs. In 2001 My Gma died. The night before She died I had a dream about the beachhouse. In the dream I was on the back porch and I was surrounded by My family. My Gma was in Her designated spot at the end of the table and My Pap was sitting next to Her. I remember being surprised that He was there and even said 'Pap, what are you doing here? You're not supposed to be here.'(cuz, well, He's dead!) He sat Me on His lap like He did when I was little and told Me 'Everything is going to be okay. Your Nanny's going to be okay.' and then I woke up. Later that day My Dad called to tell Me My Nanny had died overnite. I believe He came to offer Me some comfort. I have a different view on death now and have a firm belief that I'll see My family again, that death is not 'The End', that it's a new beginning, just somewhere else.(sniffle,sniffle)

Peace. K*

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
HI Demetre. I love hearing accounts like yours. There are so many and they're all very similar and positive: they're inspirational and very comforting for those who've lost a loved-one or who are scared of death and dying.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I think the stories sound scarier then actual events as they occur. The reason being that when something weird happens, it normally happens when your not expecting it, and it happens pretty quickly. So folks are left with more of a “did that really just happen” reaction then one of being scared.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

I think the stories sound scarier then actual events as they occur. The reason being that when something weird happens, it normally happens when your not expecting it, and it happens pretty quickly. So folks are left with more of a “did that really just happen” reaction then one of being scared.

Defcon has a point here. It does catch you off guard, your more interested in finding out the details most of the time to let something as primal as fear settle in, at least for the curious ones. It almost always would happen unexpectedly if your not lets say, looking for them. Which is normally the case. As for quick, twenty minutes was a stretch!

new topics

top topics

join