It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What to make of this? (racist labeling)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by C21H30O2I
im not racist, but i thought it was funny. those that did'nt laugh, when seeing her picture and reading that.. oh well dont admit it.

Just because you say your not racist dosen't mean its true man, because that was a racist ass statement you just made.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Nigger the word is not a racist word unless used as an insult, 'n-word' was a shade of black and is still used today.. So probably what happened is the lady in the picture seen the label and took it personal which is understandable but instead of checking it out blew it out of proportion.

Wow..I can tell just by most of these comments that a lot of you
white people have a lot of built up racism

if that was also aimed at me im sorry but your way of target, i have black family members and friends now true this doesn't mean im not racist but when i see a black person all i see is person who has different colored skin from me down to Genes and evolution.

But one thing that does upset me and have chatted about this with my some of my friends is that fact that one black person can use the word to another black person and it isn't taken as being racist but if a white guy said it to him he'd call him a racist which is racist in its self.

just like what you said in that quote White People so i could call you a racist but i wouldnt because its a word and use of explanation.

and another point i would like to point out is if a white person uses the word 'n-word' hes branded a racist so isn't that the same as saying you cant use that word because your white, which is like saying you cant sit on that seat because your black ?

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
That reminds me of a new super glue that had been successfully marketed in the Orient.

So, they manufactureers were going to market the glue here in the US.

They had their packaging translated and everything looke great.

The name of the glue translated as Hard On.

It's a great name for a glue but it had another unintended meaning.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackdude
Just because you say your not racist dosen't mean its true man, because that was a racist ass statement you just made.

Take it however you want. I never said the word. I found humor in it. so what? just like i say to the lady, so what? move on. bills to be paid, dogs to walk, kids to pick up, life goes on man.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The topic of this thread is the unfortunate name for a couch color, not which member is a racist and which one is not.

please stick to the topic.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
The topic of this thread is the unfortunate name for a couch color, not which member is a racist and which one is not.

please stick to the topic.

Why is it unfortunate ? its a word to describe a color, its a diffrent mater if that word is used as an insult then its racisit.

infact this is example which even tho it was only acting in a tv series hits the nail on the head.

Uhura meets Lincoln

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Wow..I can tell just by most of these comments that a lot of you white people have a lot of built up racism. Come on, you can't get mad at a black woman for trying to find out why a word like that is on her furniture. I mean yeah, there's probally a reasonable explanation for it, but just the impact of seeing that word where it shouldn't be would make most blacks feel uncomfortable. This is a feeling that most of you white people will never understand, because this is "your" country and your considered the generic race here. So you have no idea what its like for people of another race when thier called spics, 'n-word's, or chincs. For example, when a black person calls a white person cracker or honky, the white person dosen't get mad because they know theres no meanig behind those words. But the word 'n-word' has a very long and deep history. Its meant to de-humanize another human being.

So before you jump the gun and scream "oh she's just trying to get money" or "Its not as serious as she's making it to be", why don't you try and see things threw her eyes.

Just my 2 cents

cracker is a derogatory term for white people. it is meant to be refered to te person that 'cracked the whip' so don't tell me it has no meaning cause it dose...i'm just not a little pansy...people cry too easy these days..

[edit on 9-4-2007 by Boondock78]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

But the word 'n-word' has a very long and deep history. Its meant to de-humanize another human being.

Does this same philosophy apply when black people call other black people the n word? Apparently, on occasion, it "can" have a different meaning which really puzzles me.

brill

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
If you want to talk stereotypes, the current stereotype for african americans involves over-reacting to the slightest racial comments. At least that's what I've observed so far.

Quite frankly, I don't really care. We're all human, and that's degrading enough.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its called having a chip on your shoulder, and until they break the habit of freaking out over the N-word they will oppress themselves.

at the end of the day like i was told has a kid when some one was name calling as kids do "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me".

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by u4ria
Its called having a chip on your shoulder, and until they break the habit of freaking out over the N-word they will oppress themselves.

Exactly, they just don't understand that they are increasing racism with their constant whining and double standards. Oh well, they'll learn maybe in the next generation?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join