It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida housing sex offenders under bridge

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater

It's absurd from the wealthiest nation in the world. Absurd and grotesque.

Exactly, that is my point, how Florida with the most strictest laws against child molesters in a nation of plenty is housing this people that already has served their time under a bridge.

They can not have places just to house them like we have here in GA?

Something is not right.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
OK then line the right activist groups up as well and shoot them to its a win win situation, its these type of people that poke there noses in thinking there doing the right thing but if one of those pedophiles they helped get back into a community moved into there area they'd soon change the tune.

at the end of the day if you murder, rape or interfere with a child you should have your right striped away just like they ended some ones life, or took away a child's innocence.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
... And a penal system which denies the payment of criminals due to their crimes is no better than the criminals themselves.

As has been stated, Sex Offender laws paint with a broad brush across a vast landscape. Peeing in the woods in some states is worthy of requiring you to register as a sex offender.

Looking at pictures of naked children, doing nothing at all is a sex crime.

Looking at pictures of naked children being forced to do things is a sex crime.

Taking pictures of yourself as a naked teenage girl and posting it on the internet is a sex crime.

Having sex as a twenty one year old male with your seventeen year old girlfriend is a sex crime. Even if its the day before her 18th birthday.

Taking pictures of your own toddlers in a bath is a sex crime in some places.

Look... I have no apologetics for child rapists, but all of the above examples are nothing at all like child rape. Child rape is violent, cruel, and often used as a power complex from adults who have severe emotional and mental insecurities. Barring that, severe chemical problems in their brain.

That we, as a society, lump all of these together with child rape is a sheer abomination of the Judicial system.

And to serve as parallel....

Looking at Pictures of clothed children doing nothing is not a sex crime.

Taking pictures of yourself as a teenage girl in clothing specifically designed for sex appeal is not a sex crime.

Having sex with your 14 year old girlfriend as a 17 year old male is not a sex crime, even if it is the day before your 18th birthday.

Taking pictures of your own toddlers in a diaper is not a sex crime.

Societal nonsense never ceases to astound or sicken me.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Colddragon i see where your coming from and some points i agree with you, like an incident that upset me was,

Last summer i wanted to video my children at there school sports day to be told i couldn't as some parents might get upset with whats going on in the world these days, so even tho i was a little upset that i couldn't i didn't argue.. but then 2 days later i was asked if i would like to buy a DVD that the school had produced themselves.. my point to this is how some people use these laws for there own purpose, like this incident was down to making money for the school in a underhanded way, because i hadn't been asked if it was OK for the school to video my children on the day.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
[edit on 8-4-2007 by LooseLipsSinkShips]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Reading the article it states that all 5 men are convicted of abusing children ... I can find absolutely no sympathy for the fact that they have "nowhere they can go" and have to live in the elements under the bridge.

I'm more worried about them wandering off to find shelter elsewhere, in violation of their probation terms but none the less disappearing from the systems radar. Once they've wandered off it could be years until they are located again ... and who will they have had contact with and what will they have done in the mean time?

Maybe the state could stick a GPS locater on them and then they could live under whatever bridge they needed to but still locatable by the DOC. Since their transients they are required to go to the Police or Sheriff and register every 30 days instead of once a year.

I love reading the article and hearing the sex offenders complain about conditions. Maybe the state should offer them incarceration in a state facility if the conditions under the bridge are so bad. Maybe stories like this will make others in Miami think twice before violating children. Maybe every night they lay under that bridge they can reflect on the crimes they committed and hurt they have inflicted ... probably not but it's a nice thought.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by u4ria
Colddragon i see where your coming from and some points i agree with you, like an incident that upset me was,

Last summer i wanted to video my children at there school sports day to be told i couldn't as some parents might get upset with whats going on in the world these days, so even tho i was a little upset that i couldn't i didn't argue.. but then 2 days later i was asked if i would like to buy a DVD that the school had produced themselves.. my point to this is how some people use these laws for there own purpose, like this incident was down to making money for the school in a underhanded way, because i hadn't been asked if it was OK for the school to video my children on the day.

Okay that incident would really grate me. It's my child and we are in public and I can film them to my hearts content. Actually I can film anyone that is out in public at anytime. I could sit on the bench at the local park and film all day .. there is no crime in that ... I sure might get contacted for acting a little suspicious but still no crime.

I would call and make a fuss that I was asked not to film my child but the school felt content to and then produce a video. Now there is a law that no one is allowed to use your image or likeness to make a profit (selling things) without your permissionm - of course there is probably a loophole for educational institutions.

I would sure feel free to film any future events yourself.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
At the end of the day if the school had said were producing our own to sell to raise funds for the school id have been happy to buy, it was just they lied and i hate being told lies.. the DVD its self cost £10 which isn't a lot of money for me to fork out and id ive been more than happy to buy it knowing it was going back into the school and was going to be put use that would benefit my child, BUT it just goes to show how these laws can be used for a different reason other than the one it was intended for...

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It does'nt matter where they end up living. Just tattoo a huge ' P ' on their forehead, then people will know who they are and can monitor them easier. Any children unfortunate to get near them will see it, recognise it and run like hell. Or at least report them if they are on a kerfew... i think the authorities make this more of a challenge than it really is. I'm sure communities would feel more safer with a scheme like this in place.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Nobody, other than myself and few others, will ever argue against people who want to do various terrible and hateful things to Sexual Offenders.

When people say lets tattoo them, stick GPS's in them, make them register for life, and so many other things... everyone nods their heads emphatically and says "Let's go for it!".

Oh, but then lets start doing it to murderers too. Rapists. They're a threat to society as well, who cares if they served their time or were mentally imbalanced when they committed their crimes, they're evil THINGS who are not PEOPLE.

Dehumanize them, so that you never have to understand their crimes or why they committed them. Turn them into monsters who don't deserve basic human necessity.

No matter how terrible, how horrible, how perverse or sick the actions of a PERSON is, they are STILL HUMAN BEINGS. And granted INALIEABLE RIGHTS by their creator. INALIEABLE RIGHTS. Not Rights that can be taken away because they revoked them upon their transgressions against humanity or society. INALIEABLE, meaning that they can NEVER be taken away.

Does anyone really believe that they should base any decisions in their life upon sheer hatred and loathing?

Lest we forget, many Child Molesters WERE VICTIMS THEMSELVES... perpetuating the suffering that THEY endured as children. I cannot imagine that anyone propogates the notion that the CHILDREN who suffered by these molesters should be treated like subhuman trash heaps... but that's what will happen to them if THEY end up being Molesters for what was done to them.

There should be no sense of human trash or human garbage, and there should be no decisions based entirely upon malice and hatred for individuals who committed a crime.

The Justice system exists for a REASON. It is to punish and correct individuals who have erred against humanity for whatever reason. Our Society has decided for everyone that punishment should be for their whole life, sickened by the idea that everyone who offends us personally isn't dragged out into the street to have a bullet put a hole in their skull.

Serve your time as a criminal, and you should be allowed to try and integrate into society again. If you repeat the offense, then you go back.

But like in Minority Report, many want to punish people for what they MIGHT do, not what they DO. Child Molesters MIGHT Molest again, because it supposedly has been shown with research that they have a high recidivism rate. So because they MIGHT do it again, we should kill them dead.

How is it right to preempt a persons rights as a human being out of fear of the possibilities?

As I said in my previous post.... I have no particular love of Child Molesters. I think what they do to families is horrible, and does severe damage in the long run. I am sure that some may disagree with my post, but I don't feel it necessary to hate with such complete passion any human being. And I *AM* a parent.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheColdDragon

You got my vote this month, you see my point.

This people even when they are child molesters regarless of the severity or degree of their individual cases, they have served their time and paid their dues to society, now they have the choice to rehabilitate or else. . .

But how can they do this living under a bridge and while they should be scorned by society the also have the right to become productive members and have the chance to prove themselves.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   

When people say lets tattoo them, stick GPS's in them, make them register for life, and so many other things

I only say one thing. Lets kill them

Oh, but then lets start doing it to murderers too. Rapists.

I say lets kill them too.

Turn them into monsters who don't deserve basic human necessity.

They don’t. if you attack and destroy a child’s life yours should be forfeited

INALIEABLE, meaning that they can NEVER be taken away.

They rights disappeared the moment that they knowingly harmed a child.

Does anyone really believe that they should base any decisions in their life upon sheer hatred and loathing?

No, lets base our decision on the protection of our society, and destroy those whom would prey upon our weakest and most vulnerable.

Lest we forget, many Child Molesters WERE VICTIMS THEMSELVES...

So they know exactly the type of pain they are inflicting. That exacerbates their crime for they know exactly the pain they cause’

The Justice system exists for a REASON. It is to punish and correct individuals

There is no punishment Sevier enough.

So because they MIGHT do it again, we should kill them dead.

Yes, their victim was an innocent kid who in their sick mind was asking for it and enjoyed it.

How is it right to preempt a persons rights as a human being out of fear of the possibilities?

If the possibility is that he’s going to hurt an other kid he should have no rights he should be dead.

And I *AM* a parent.

Then I’m sorry, but you should know better.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Lest we forget, many Child Molesters WERE VICTIMS THEMSELVES... perpetuating the suffering that THEY endured as children. I cannot imagine that anyone propogates the notion that the CHILDREN who suffered by these molesters should be treated like subhuman trash heaps... but that's what will happen to them if THEY end up being Molesters for what was done to them.

I hear this often about child molestors .. they were victims themselves, poor things. I think that the belief that most molesters were themselves victims is largely false because it is based on statements made by the molester; typically AFTER they have been caught molesting. It is not backed up by reports of them being molested ... although granted it is hard to come by reliable statistics for molestation such a large amount goes unreported.

If they were truly molested as a child and are now molesting a child then they are MORE EVIL then most ... who better to know the fear and uncertainty that a child feels after these events. Who better to know how this affects so much more than just the psychological stress of being abused ... how it affects their self-confidence, their trust in others and largely their ability to function within society.

The supposed fact that they KNOW first-hand how these children will react makes there crime that much worse. They can't come off with a sense of "it wasn't that bad" or " they won't remember" or "they'll get over it" ... they understand 100% that this child will carry this with them forever, into their adult life and more likely than not it will have impacts on their personal relationships.

Shame on them. I feel no remorse for treating someone who acts less than human as less than human.

[edit on 4/8/2007 by SmallMindsBigIdeas]

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
How do they know?

When you're a child, you're taught right and wrong. You're given a sense of it by your parents and carers.

If you're abused.. that changes your sense of right and wrong. Forever. Unconsciously, subconsciously, the psychological effects of mental and physical trauma that goes untreated does not go away.

Not every abuser has been abused. Not every abused becomes and abuser, but psychologically speaking, someone who does not know right from wrong, someone whose sexual wiring gets messed up that badly, hm, wonder how that happens?

If you're standing on a moral highground, maybe it's not easy to see the nuances way down below you in the valleys, but asserting that everyone just "knows" right from wrong is ridiculous. And that all people, regardless of circumstance, crime or even guilt or not (remember, not all cases are necessarily 100% correct) should be shot?.

We as humans are measured not by how we treat our equals, but how we treat our inferiors. Including sex criminals.

Understanding could offer real solutions, including how to prevent abused children from becoming abusers, or how to stop abuse before it happens.

But lynch-mob mentality? Solves nothing, except assuaging your OWN propensity for inhumanity and violence.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Why kill them ? even though they are the lowest of low like i said in my previous post lock them up in secure housing complex give them 3 square meals a day, and make them do the work nobody else wants to, They have a life, roof over there head, food in there stomachs and still contributing to society.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Robbing little children of their precious childhood and maiming babies for life is beyond me. You can't say these peoples judgement's are clouded, even if the same was inflicted on them as a child. I'm not talking about rapists and murderers. I'm saying we need to protect our children. We can't let these people rome around and do what they like, just because it happened to them. If they had any ounce of moral decency and conduct they would be able to fathom out right from wrong.It would'nt be difficult. These peole are ill. it's not about killing them all, but about knowing where they are at any given time. protecting our kid's and our communities. Life in general can be hard enough as it is without leaving ourselves open and vunerable. I agree these people need help and perhaps understanding, but the point is we need to be aware of what they and where are. A universal understanding so that people can make the choice of where they see fit to bring up their kid's in a reasonably safe, secure and healthy community.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You don't protect children by sheltering them from the world, I'm sorry, all you do is cripple your child's capacity to grow into a healthy adult by sheltering them from the things in this world that MAY do them harm.

It is not the governments job to protect you or your children, it is YOUR job. It is YOUR responsibility to prepare your children, and to warn them about suspiciously behaving adults.

Most child molesters are family members, not strangers to the child. Most abuse happens within the extended family. An aunt, an uncle, grandpa, grandma. Whose fault is it then?

Everyone has personal responsibility for themselves, and for the protection of their children. All that registering sex offenders does is provide an entire group of third class citizens that everyone, regardless of color, creed, or walk of life... can loathe unanimously and treat as garbage.

Who wants to live next to a sex offender? Everyone who hears those words automatically fears for their children. Many lobby to have the individuals removed, fired, and run out of town for just existing nearby. Such behavior is unacceptable.... those that pay for their crimes PAY FOR THEIR CRIMES. No human being, NO human being should be made to suffer their entire lives for something. What if they DO get cured? What if they get treatment and have their perversity under control? NO! it's not okay to society that you did it, so you must suffer for it for all time.

There is no room for forgiveness, only room for hate. And that's a damn shame because hate eats a person from inside.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

You don't protect children by sheltering them from the world,

Don’t get me wrong I’m not one of those idiots that says stupid things like lets down the monkey bars because a kid might fall and brake a leg, hey it happens. But I do say lets kill the pedophiles, they purposely target and do harm to children.

It is not the governments job to protect you or your children, it is YOUR job

It may be my job to protect my family, but it is the governments job to punish those whom would hurt people, and the punishment for those whom would sexually assault a kid should be death

Most abuse happens within the extended family. An aunt, an uncle, grandpa, grandma. Whose fault is it then?

The perpetrator of the crime, the type of the relationship of the victim and the perpetrator is moot.

All that registering sex offenders does is provide an entire group of third class citizens that everyone, regardless of color, creed, or walk of life... can loathe unanimously and treat as garbage.

If you can get a Muslim fundamentalist, the Grand Dragon of the KKK and the head of GLAAD all to agree on a point, that point is probably true.

Who wants to live next to a sex offender?

Not me, how about you?

There is no room for forgiveness, only room for hate.

For a crime such as this, that is so true.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I would like to kno who they are and where they are, so that i ( as a parent can make my own choices as to how close i wish to live near one)

I don't care who's uncle's, grandad's nephew's brother it is they would'nt be living anywhere near me! It is the government's responsibility to a degree, otherwise these evil peole would be wondering around outside our school's and playgroun'd all the time!
Why should we give them their own commune's? At the tax payer's expense? 3 square meals a day? I don't think so! Even my homeless people don't get treated as well as that and their only crime is that they are poor!

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Looks like we in the UK are going to be able to find out if any persons on the Sex offenders register are living near by..

News Source

one piece in this report really upsets me

The experiment will also give single mothers the power to find out if a new partner is on the sex offenders' register

What about single parent fathers who want to see if there new female partner is a convicted sex offender ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join