It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"An Iranian Propoganda Stunt" -- says UK 15

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I just watched the presser with a few of the released UK troops.

Treatment - isolation, psychological torture, and it seemed that the female sailor was subjected to worse though the details weren't given.

One said "she was exploited, as we all were",

other points, they said they received 3 meals a day and contrary to the pics released by the Iran media, they were isolated for most of the time and not allowed to converse with each other.

When asked about the apologies and confessions one officer said that they did not apologize and what it amounted to was a play on words.

No death threats, unless you consider being blind folded and hearing the cocking of rifles a death threat.

I am glad they are safe and sound and it appears that they will return to duty after a 2 week furlough. The troopers were anxious to get back to their ship it appeared.

The one thing agreed on was that this was a propaganda stunt on the part of Iran.

More details later for sure..

[edit on 2007/4/6 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here is a Reuters piece on the presser

UK sailors said faced seven years in jail

LONDON (Reuters) - The 15 British sailors held by Iran were kept blindfolded, bound and in isolation by their captors who threatened them with seven years in jail, they told a news conference on Friday.

"From the outset it was very apparent that fighting back was not an option," Captain Chris Air told reporters.

"We were blindfolded at all times and kept in isolation from each other," Lieutenant Felix Carman said

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
A couple more reports on the press conference:

HOSTAGES TELL OF ILL TREATMENT
THE British Navy hostages captured by Iran were blindfolded and threatened with jail, they revealed at a press conference today.

They also said they were held in isolation and that Faye Turney – the only woman – was told the rest of the group had returned to Britain.

British officer defends crews' conduct in Iran
Iran said the crew entered Iranian waters. Britain insisted they were in Iraqi waters working under a UN mandate. A similar incident took place in 2004 when ...

This piece from yesterday goes into the propaganda aspect of Iran's stunt:

Propaganda we just can't ignore

On Wednesday, as a smirking Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced the release of 15 British sailors and marines, as a "gift" to the British people, we were reminded that wartime propaganda is as old as war itself.

Everyone knows that, of course; as long as there are men willing to wage wars, there will be men willing to lie about it all. But it was a challenge, just the same, not to feel actual outrage in the past few days, as Iran's foul regime paraded 15 captive Royal Navy personnel across the front pages of the world's newspapers. And, anger notwithstanding, we in the media generally did what Tehran required of us: We showed the pictures. We ran the footage. Did it all, once again, when Ahmadinejad cynically announced his "gift."

Iran's objective, as with all wartime propaganda, was twofold. One, unite their own people against a common foe. Two, destroy the morale of enemy troops. The propaganda effort was successful -- at least within Iran.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Bu..Bu..But they say they were in Iranian waters.
The Iranians were telling the truth.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
How nice the treatment of the captives and the concern for the female......

Right, Immediate separation from the males then telling her that the men were released? " Oh by the way, here's a smoke and scarf, we are so concerned that your country would put you overseas and keep you away from your child."

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Just when you think War has been averted. The real propaganda begins.

God help us.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well the situation could have been worse. Glad that the sailors are back. If they were beaten or still imprison, maybe war would be inevitable, but looks like Iran smart enough to dodge this one.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
We will never know the truth, but one thing i for certain: The 15 soldiers were carefully debriefed after they land in the UK - So the story you've been told now by Reuters, AP etc can be just disinformation.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by absente
We will never know the truth, but one thing i for certain: The 15 soldiers were carefully debriefed after they land in the UK - So the story you've been told now by Reuters, AP etc can be just disinformation.

But it could be the truth aswell.

1. The UK government show picture evidence that they were in Iraq waters at the time of the incident.
2. Iran parade them in front of the camera and show letters to there families that were said to be worded in a way that they wouldnt be expected to word it.
3. they then get released and and explain they were treated differently than Iran said they were which also backs up points 1 and 2.

So personally from what i have seen and heard i believe it isn't disinformation.

Iran say there nuclear ambitions are for Energy means... yea right!

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
well, there is no proof for any story, but about point 1 i can't agree with you, look into this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

1. Find someone who understands german and read it (i can translate specific parts if you want it) - The document shows in big detail how the picture was faked, and it's faked bad. So there is my first "contra"

2. I fully agree with you

3. Well, as i said, they are soldiers, and they tell you what their superiors tell them to say - i think that's clear. And as i see from the pictures, they look good, they had their meals, they didn't get burned and their faces aren't wounded - so they were threaten better than any Iraqi prisoner we've seen on independent TV Channels.

Bottom line: Yes, that was a PR stunt, but it was a good one. And there is much space for conspiracy theories around that story. Time will tell. Good thing is, they're free an can celebrate Eastern with their families.

Iran say there nuclear ambitions are for Energy means... yea right!

And if not, so what? But we can continue arguing about that in a thread i will write shortly after i finish this line

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Iran has breached the ganieva accord by parrading them on TV just for their satisfaction and with evrything they have done

in their situations no wounder they said what the iranians wanted

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The images at that link look fine to me and and has the guy who said hes been using GPS systems for a while said it looks nothing out of the ordinary. until im shown proof that this is all disinformation ill take it as the truth. as for the Iranians nuclear ambitions i wouldnt trust them with a fire cracker let alone a nuke.

No mater what proof our government show some people will say its a lie.

top topics

join