It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures of the Moon (Canon S3-IS) No Telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Okay got my first batch of pictures of the Moon after changing my Cameras ISO setting from 800 to 100 (I had my cameras ISO set at 800 and the pictures I took of the Moon at that setting are so bright that the Moon ended up looking like the Sun). Im using a Canon S3-IS and still haven't figured out all of the correct settings quite yet, but I am getting help in another thread here at ATS to get my camera setup to take the best possible pictures of our Moon. Help Taking Pictures of the Moon (Canon S3-IS). I did NOT use a telescope or a telephoto lense of any sort to take these pictures, infact I have 0 attachments as of yet for my new camera.

Still havent busted the Tripod out cause its out in my truck and I wanted to get some good test shots in before setting up all that stuff. These turned out pretty good without the tripod so Im guessing when I do bust it out tonight or tomorrow these pictures are gonna turn out just fantastic.

For this first set I had Full Optical Zoom & Full Digital Zoom.

ISO = 100.

I will be updating this thread with new and better pictures of the Moon as I progress towards finding the perfect setting for taking pictures of the Moon here from Earth. Thanks for the help getting this far guys (you know who you are)!

I think this last one might be the best one, not sure though.

These were my settings at the time of these pictures:

Camera set too "M" which is what I shot Moon pics above under:

Day Light
My Colors = Off
BKT = Off
Flash Output = 1/3 Lit Up Green
Evaluate
640x480 30 fps - 15' 28"
L 2816x2112 - 1196
ISO = 100

On display this is showing while set too "M" currently

1/125
F4.0 -
Image Stabiliser = ON
A Hand Icon, palm facing west with like 2 little wind gusts blowing against it (dont know what that is)

Menu Settings at time of Moon shot from above:

flash sync = 1st curtain
red eye = off
Spot AE Point = Center
MF-Point Zoom = ON
AF Mode = Continuous
AF-Assist Beam = Off
Tally Lamp = ON
Digital Zoom = ON
Review = 2 sec
Reverse Disp. = ON
IS Mode = Continuous (Think this is Image Stabilisor)
Convertor = OFF

Let me know what you guys think.

~Anathema

[edit on 3/30/2007 by anathema777]

join