It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Taking Pictures of the Moon (Canon S3-IS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Okay so Im going crazy trying to figure this out right now. The moon is like perfect right now for taking pictures of from where I am at, South Eastern Michigan.

My Camera is a Canon S3-IS and every picture Ive tken tonight ends up looking like a picture of a white sun. This camera is very, very nice and I should be able to get some better pictures. Can someone with som knowledge of exposure settings and such please lend me a hand as I want to go out and snap some good pics tonight.

Here is a sample of what my pictures are looking like tonight without me knowing what Im doing:

And heres a cool looking one cause I must have moved the camera:

Thanks for any assistance I get in advance guys.

~Anathema

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A better tripod and one of those thumb shutter actuaters?

Haven't taken any really good pic my self in a long time, but your 1st pic looks like it should of been fine taked from a rock steady position. Your second pic just sorta clued that in a bit more.

Just my 2 cents

Edit to add: mabe quicker shutter speed, that moon is very bright - seems you got a digi camera tho, so you can experement

[edit on 29/3/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
That's right I should bust the Tripod out huh? Forgot to do that, er wait no I didn't... I was doing a test shoot to see if the pictures would turn out fine or to bright, too bright seems to be the end result.

When the camera goes to focus there is a split second where it looks perfect, where I can see the details and it isnt all bright. Then POOF, it turns bright as day right when it finishes focusing in and I cant see anything on the moon but a bunch of white light. I need someone to explain to me why it's doing this and how to get the camera to just focus to the point where I can see the moons surface clearly without bright blurry light interfearing. I know my camera is capable of doing this cause like I said above when it was focusing by itself for a second it looked great.

Hopefully someone familiar with the Canon S3-IS can lend me some help and explanation, or perhaps if Im really lucky someone with camera knowledge will take a few minutes to get familiar with the Canon S3-IS just too help me out

Fingers crossed!

~Anathema

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Also remember...

You are taking a picture of a light...

I am not familiar with the Canon, I use the Nikon D40, but if you can go full manual and set to "Sunny 16"

Set the ISO factor to 400, the "f"stop to 16 and Shutter speed to 500...

I know that sounds weird in the dark, but you don't want a picture of the dark, you want a picture of the lit moon...

If your using a telephoto lens, a tripod is a must...
Start with those setting and work down....

Looking at your pictures, you are WAY over exposed... Too large an aperture or too slow a shutter speed....

Semper

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Also you have GOT to be on manual focus and set it all the way out...

Distant lights like the moon and sun play havoc with auto focus...

Semper

jra

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
semperfortis basically said it all, but to reiterate in my own words. Remember that the Moon is a Sun lit object, so it's going to be fairly bright. A fast shutter speeds is recommended. If you have a tripod, then maybe you won't need to put it to 400ISO. I like to keep the ISO as low as possible due to the noise/grain the higher settings create. Just keep playing around and see what works I guess. Show us the results

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yeah, auto focus has to have something to work on - unless your camera has some NASA approved laser range finding gubbins (if it does , stick it in e-bay!) it will never 'focus' on the moon.

You should have an infinity setting, look for a number 8 but on its side. give that a go!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Alright guys thanks so far and I will post the results for sure. I payed like $500 for this camera a few weeks ago, the Canon S3-IS that is. I have no knowledge on how to do all the settings yet which is why I asked in here. I figured after someone told me what settings to tweek then I could go into my settings, change everything and then go outside and have a field day. SO I need a tripod, manual focus and set it all the way out (not sure what that means), turn the exposure down (which some other website told me to turn it up so I did).

Heres what my current settings are before putting your guys help into action

Canon S3-IS Current Settings:

Thats under AUTO which is NOT what I just shot the moon pics with posted above

Auto = AWB
+/- (EXP) = 0
+/- (Flash) = 0
640x480 30 fps - 15' 28"
L 2816x2112 = 1196

Camera set too "M" which is what I shot Moon pics above under:

Day Light
My Colors = Off
BKT = Off
Flash Output = 1/3 Lit Up Green
Evaluate
640x480 30 fps - 15' 28"
L 2816x2112 - 1196
ISO = 800

On display this is showing while set too "M" currently

1/125
F4.0 - Can be changed up and down in increments of .5 and .3
The Image Stabiliser Icon = ON (Picture of hand with ((())) around it
Another hand, palm facing west with like 2 little wind gusts blowing against it (dont know what that is)

Menu Settings at time of Moon shot from above:

flash sync = 1st curtain
red eye = off
Spot AE Point = Center
MF-Point Zoom = ON
AF Mode = Continuous
AF-Assist Beam = Off
Tally Lamp = ON
Digital Zoom = ON
Review = 2 sec
Reverse Disp. = ON
IS Mode = Continuous (Think this is Image Stabilisor)
Convertor = OFF

Okay those are the settings I had before I posted this thread, the ones I used to shoot the Moon from my roof about an hour ago. I have not made any adjustments yet, wanted to post this stuff first.

What was meant by manual focus all the way out? and could you guys tell me which of the above menu items need to be changed, turned on or off and what else I got active thats most likely wrong? I love this camera and know it should be able to take some damn nice shots so I am excited to do this up. Also I am considering buying a really nice telescope to help get even better pictures and will need help picking the best one I can get for like less then a $1000 dollars

Thanks again!

~Anathema

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Whoah thats WAY over my head at the mo!!

I used to use various SLR's, old school 135mm film - thought that may translate!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
LOL. Yeah this camera is a robot with a mind of its own buddy. Its got me lost too!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Set your iso down to 400 or below.
You need a tighter f stop.. 4 is kinda wide..
Your shutter speed should be higher than 1/125..

I have a bunch of pics..that aren't accessable at the moment.
But will be shortly, I'll retrieve the exif data for you, and post it here.

but, in the meantime..SHOOT THE MOON!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Set your iso down to 400 or below.
You need a tighter f stop.. 4 is kinda wide..
Your shutter speed should be higher than 1/125..

I have a bunch of pics..that aren't accessable at the moment.
But will be shortly, I'll retrieve the exif data for you, and post it here.

but, in the meantime..SHOOT THE MOON!

Awesome, can't wait for that data cause then I can get the settings perfect on the first try most likely! I can set the ISO to 100,200,400,800 and 1600 I think. So which should I go for 100, 200, or 400?

Im not sure how to change the 1/125 shutter speed, but if I do figure it out what would be a more appropriate setting bud?

Also for F stop what would you recommend for that?

Should I turn off the image stabilizer? Turn off auto focus? What about that AF-Mode thats currently set to continuous?

Below is the current settings when on M" Its what I set them too after using another forums advice on space photography though Im willing to bet its settings for star photography and not the Moon.

Day Light
My Colors = Off
BKT = Off
Evaluate
640x480 30 fps - 15' 28"
L 2816x2112 - 1196
ISO = 800

1/125
F4.0 - Can be changed up and down in increments of .5 and .3
The Image Stabiliser Icon = ON (Picture of hand with ((())) around it
Another hand, palm facing west with like 2 little wind gusts blowing against it (dont know what that is)

flash sync = 1st curtain
red eye = off
Spot AE Point = Center
MF-Point Zoom = ON
AF Mode = Continuous
AF-Assist Beam = Off
Tally Lamp = ON
Digital Zoom = ON
Review = 2 sec
Reverse Disp. = ON
Convertor = OFF

If your not sure on the other stuff above then just find them pictures so you can post that data and we will go from there, thanks for your help in advance bro. Im gonna go do a little googling now to see if I can find a forum with some moon shots taken with a Canon S1-IS, S2-IS, or My Camera, an S3-IS.

~Anathema

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Okay got my first batch of pictures of the Moon from setting my ISO to 100. Im gonna make a new thread for them cause I still want the help from this thread for tweekin my camera

I will include the pictures in here as well.

~Anathema

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Okay here they are guys.

Settings are as follows:

Day Light
My Colors = Off
BKT = Off
Evaluate
640x480 30 fps - 15' 28"
L 2816x2112 - 1196
ISO = 100

1/125
F4.0 -
Image Stabiliser = ON
A Hand Icon, palm facing west with like 2 little wind gusts blowing against it (dont know what that is)

flash sync = 1st curtain
red eye = off
Spot AE Point = Center
MF-Point Zoom = ON
AF Mode = Continuous
AF-Assist Beam = Off
Tally Lamp = ON
Digital Zoom = ON
Review = 2 sec
Reverse Disp. = ON
Convertor = OFF

I had the Zoom all the way maxed out into max digital zoom for the pictures below. Do you guys think I should take the pictures at the maximum range of regular optical zoom and zoom in on the images on my computer if I want a close-up view? Just wondering what you opinion is on that, weather or not to even use my digital zoom when Im taking these pictures, or to stick souley to Optical Zoom only.

I kept auto focus on, well nevermind, all the settings are the same as what I started out with except I changed the ISO too 100. The only reason I went out on my roof to take this next set of pictures again tonight was because I could here what sounded like the loudest sounding single jet flying somewhere close to here ( SE Michigan). The strange part that drew me onto my roof with my camera was the fact that the sound was even, uniform (like didnt sound like it was flying above or doing a bunch of sound shifting manuvers) and weirdest of all it went on for like 30 minutes straight. I really dont know what to make of it. When I went out back it was so much louder and coming from the direction of fermy (1 or 2) which is a nuclear power plant here in SE Michigan. What do you guys make of this, I seriously have never quite heard anything like this before in this particular context.

~Anathema

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Nice Pics!

I`m under cloud right now, or I`d be doing the same.

You seem to be on the right track, but you`re still coming out a little overexposed. Try adjusting the exposure time down a bit (my old canon lists it as Exp. on the menu, and I have the option of going +/- 2 stops in 0.5 increments). Crank it down all the way - it`s easier to add light to a dark shot than it is to add dark to a washed out image. Pay attention to the area of the moon that`s getting the most sunlight.

Go with the lowest ISO you can, the largest image size, and avoid the digital zoom. My advice, anyway.

jra

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by anathema777
I had the Zoom all the way maxed out into max digital zoom for the pictures below. Do you guys think I should take the pictures at the maximum range of regular optical zoom and zoom in on the images on my computer if I want a close-up view? Just wondering what you opinion is on that, weather or not to even use my digital zoom when Im taking these pictures, or to stick souley to Optical Zoom only.

Stick with optical zoom. The digital zoom is basically like zooming in on the computer, but I find it to make the images look worse. Digital zoom is basically a gimmicky feature in my opinion. Best just to leave it.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Those are looking much better!
You can see some detail now.

Sorry but I fell asleep when I got home last night. And never sent you the image data.

But my range of success was always with iso setting of 100.
and an f/stop of 5.6.
The shutter speed varied for me. depending on the amount of zoom, or the actual phase of the moon.

But it looks like you are on the right track..Good Job!

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Awesome. I plan on going out again tonight and getting some more good pictures. Im gonna mess with the exposure and F stop and put it on a tripod.

Glad you guys like the pictures, and Im actually surprised they tured out that good using he digital zoom, but I will try with just optical zoom tonight.

We will see....

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I have the exact same camera as you.

I just got mine recently and I am going to be trying some moon shots too.

Good luck.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Kick ass Dulcimer, I love my S3-IS as Im sure you do too. Its like my baby, just haven't learned how to change her diaper yet, or program her to stop crying, or figure out what shes talking about cause all the information she gives me is like a foreign language to me, lol.

But shas beautiful and I love her!

~Anathema

P.S. Dulcimer thanks for all the insite you've been giving me on my loud sound experiance thread bud! I did you sa solid too and posted that Neilburg video on youtube and credited you as the source for finding the image too buddy. Its my new policy I think to take good videos of UFO's we find that arent on Youtube that we discuss here and pos them on Youtube with about a 4 paragraph thesis on why the viewers of the video should come to ATS and join in the discussion on said video or to just come register and get involved in our kick ass community.

I really think this method of member promotion is going to bring lots of new members to ATS, I wonder if theres a way I can get ATS points for every member I get to sign up here? Is there like a referal system in place? The reason I ask is purely out of curiosity as to hom many new members I bring to the site, I'd like to be able to keep track of how many I get here for personal gratification.

~Anathema

top topics

join