It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Knights of Columbus

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
CC,

Easy on the "double-agents"

Originally posted by corsig
If the KofC is not a Secret Society can you please provide us with a copy of your rituals, passwords, and handshakes.
Thank you in advance.
Cory

Cory,

I know that was said tongue-in-cheek, but you (and others) might find this interesting. Rituals are extremely hard to come by. They're carefully numbered and accounted for. Only those officers who need them are issued them. There's a significant penalty for losing one. Too bad most Masonic rituals aren't so heavily guarded, huh?

Regarding passwords and handshakes...they're even harder to come by than K of C Rituals....'cause there aren't any. Seriously.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yeah I didn't know that- I spent an hour or so on Google/Yahoo trying to find something at all and nothing was there.

Very interesting that it's that hard to come by. What do you make of that??

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I think the Knights of Columbus safe-guard their rituals better than most fraternal societies. There's a so-called "exposure" called "Knights of Columbus Illustrated" by Ezra Cook Publishing (the company that published all the rituals it could find) but it's not accurate at all. In fact it's pretty pitiful to be sure.

I've seen numerous Masonic ritual books that are numbered and an account is supposed to be kept of them, but more often than not, it isn't. It also doesn't do much good when many jurisdictions will allow any member in good standing to purchase their own ritual. I guess the Scottish Rite, S.J. does a better job than anyone. Members are not allowed to possess a ritual and only one time have I seen one in the public. There was a 15th-18th Degree ritual of the Southern Jurisdiction on ebay. I bought it and returned it to the Supreme Council.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Appak

I think the Knights of Columbus safe-guard their rituals better than most fraternal societies. There's a so-called "exposure" called "Knights of Columbus Illustrated" by Ezra Cook Publishing (the company that published all the rituals it could find) but it's not accurate at all. In fact it's pretty pitiful to be sure.

I've seen numerous Masonic ritual books that are numbered and an account is supposed to be kept of them, but more often than not, it isn't. It also doesn't do much good when many jurisdictions will allow any member in good standing to purchase their own ritual. I guess the Scottish Rite, S.J. does a better job than anyone. Members are not allowed to possess a ritual and only one time have I seen one in the public. There was a 15th-18th Degree ritual of the Southern Jurisdiction on ebay. I bought it and returned it to the Supreme Council.

But if it's so harmless and open why is so safeguarded. Doesn't sound fair that they can be private but since it is church approved it is OK.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

But if it's so harmless and open why is so safeguarded. Doesn't sound fair that they can be private but since it is church approved it is OK.

Hypocrisy ?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

But of course.

In actuality the ritual doesn't measure-up to most Masonic ritual. Not saying it's not a nice enough ritual, per se, but I've seen much better. Even the Knights of Pythias ritual is better in my opinion.

However, that's one of the things that makes the Knights of Columbus stand out. While technically, yes, it's a fraternal organization, ritual isn't really the central theme. The Knights exist to serve the Church. A typical meeting is a pretty informal affair; not a lot of pomp and circumstance in the Opening/Closing, etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The K of C sound like the Church Aproved Masons if you ask me.. based just like Masonry in a sense with out the glamor.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The K of C sound like the Church Aproved Masons if you ask me.. based just like Masonry in a sense with out the glamor.

That is exactly what it is, if you look at the history it was founded by ex-masons who bascially took the masonic ritual and ideals and made it church approved.

Please don't misunderstand me I am not in any way bashing the KofC. My best friend was involved with them and spoke very fondly of the organization.

I just find it hysterical that they get free passes all the time when they are a mirror image of us.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

If the KofC is not a Secret Society can you please provide us with a copy of your rituals, passwords, and handshakes.

Thank you in advance.

Cory

College fraternities don't provide these types of things, does that make them all secret societies?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

That is exactly what it is, if you look at the history it was founded by ex-masons who bascially took the masonic ritual and ideals and made it church approved.

The Knights of Columbus was founded by Fr. Micheal J. MicGivney, in the basement of St. Mary's Parish in New Haven Connecticut. There were no ex-masons among the initial members.

The Knights were founded as a society that would have the same benefits, if not better, than societies that were popping up all over the place during that time, that Catholics were banned from belonging to.

Short History of the K of C

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor

Thank you in advance.

Cory

College fraternities don't provide these types of things, does that make them all secret societies?

I'm not sure what college Frat you belonged to but they most certainly have rituals, oaths and handshakes.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Yeah I didn't know that- I spent an hour or so on Google/Yahoo trying to find something at all and nothing was there.

Here is the Knights of Columbus First Degree

Knights of Columbus Second Degree

Knights of Columbus Third Degree

[edit on 19-3-2007 by Masonic Light]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Thank you in advance.

Cory

I'm not sure what college Frat you belonged to but they most certainly have rituals, oaths and handshakes.

Let me rephrase that, College Fraternities don't provide their rituals, passwords and handshakes to the general public, does that make them all secret societies?

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The Knights of Columbus was founded by Fr. Micheal J. MicGivney, in the basement of St. Mary's Parish in New Haven Connecticut. There were no ex-masons among the initial members.

The Knights were founded as a society that would have the same benefits, if not better, than societies that were popping up all over the place during that time, that Catholics were banned from belonging to.

Short History of the K of C

Hon. Henry, it was my understanding that the KofC came about as an attempt by the church to keep their members inside the church when too many of their congregation were joining Masonic lodges.

Like many other groups of that time that started up several parts if not all of it was "borrowed" from Masonry. It is not an offense to say so please don't take any.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

I don't know where the author got his information, but these are not the ceremonials of the Knights of Columbus.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
After much thought I am not going to read the degree that ML posted out of respect for their organization.

I know what it feels like when I see someone posting a portion of a masonic degree on the internet and 95% of it is wrong.

Let's keep civil and take the high ground. I sense Henry is getting the wrong idea of our little SS group here and want him to feel welcomed.

Cory

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

ML,

Ditto what CC said. These are not the rituals of the K of C.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   

ML,

It claims they are 1968 versions. Is it possible they have been revised? I've seen several different versions of KofC ceremonies, and they seem similar.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

ML,

It claims they are 1968 versions. Is it possible they have been revised? I've seen several different versions of KofC ceremonies, and they seem similar.

I suppose it's possible. I've seen two versions (they've just recently revised the 1st & 2nd Degrees and are about to revise the 3rd) but even so, the revisions are quite similar to the older versions...and those aren't.

Interesting find though. I note it's from stelling/stichting argus...a site that not only offers a lot of rituals on-line, but regularly sells a LOT of rituals on disk on ebay.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Let's keep civil and take the high ground. I sense Henry is getting the wrong idea of our little SS group here and want him to feel welcomed.

Cory

Why do you keep calling me Henry??? My name is John, lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join