It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child molester denied Disney vacation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Child molester denied Disney vacation

www.sciencedaily.com

March 10 (UPI) -- An Illinois man accused of child molestation will not be allowed to accompany his family to Walt Disney World while they are in Florida.

Judge R. Craig Sahlstrom last month approved Frank D. Atherton's request to travel to Florida with his family on a two-week vacation. The judge said he didn't know until this week that the trip included a stop at Disney World.

Sahlstrom called Atherton's request to go to Disney "inappropriate" given the number of children there.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
While it is appropriate to have oversight of sexual offenders by limiting their access to people they generally prey upon, it is absurd that the accused is denied a trip to a theme park, but was able to secure a trip to Florida all the while he was on bail.

Seriously, the judge in this case reasons that a prior sexual offender might do something stupid at Disney World because there are many children there, but thinks nothing of the idea that he is allowing this man to leave the state of Illinois where he may have many opportunities outside the state of Florida to do whatever he wants to do anytime he is seperated from his family at an opportunistic moment.

I doubt this judge is really thinking straight about denying this many his Disney dreams, when he could just as easily have access to children in his very own town.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-3-2007 by ben91069]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm with you on this one.

He doesn't have to be at a theme park for "something" to happen, he could be anywhere. I don't think him being at a theme park with his family is as dangerous as the times when he is in his own home town and not with his family, going to work and such.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You guys are right. Just look at what happened to Adam Walsh.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
While i think all child molesters should be strung-up, this guy has been accused but not convicted. I dont think he should be banned from visiting Disney because he could just be innocent. Like you guys already said, if someone has the compulsion to abuse a child they will do it wherever they are. Where theres a will theres a way.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
the judge in this case reasons that a prior sexual offender might do something stupid at Disney World because there are many children there,

IF this guy is a pedophile then for him to be at Disney World is like putting an alcoholic in a beer warehouse and turning him loose.

Pedophiles can not be cured and the temptation is overwhelming. The rate of repeat offenders for pedophiles is in the high 90%. I'll have to go find some statistics and post them.

If he is found innocent, he can go visit later. It is wise to disallow him to visit the theme park at this time. Some may think this is punishing someone before they are determined to be guilty, but not really. He can still visit the theme park later if he's innocent ... and the children will be safer with him not there if he's guilty.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
What would happen if the individual is not convicted? Could he then sue the judge, county or whatever authority for violating his civl rights?

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xtr3m3paranoia
While i think all child molesters should be strung-up, this guy has been accused but not convicted. I dont think he should be banned from visiting Disney because he could just be innocent. Like you guys already said, if someone has the compulsion to abuse a child they will do it wherever they are. Where theres a will theres a way.

yes they all should be hung.and they all should not be aloud ANY WHERE near a child.

top topics

join