It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do Brits put up with this?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Is this a debate on guns or a debate about the topic?

If it's a question of firearms - we don't need 'em. Sure there are criminals over here who have them, but the average Brit doesn't require a firearm, doesn't want one and our country is a better place for not having them.
Cry freedom and personal rights all you like. But Britain isn't America and guns don't have a place in our society.
We neither have the room for them or the use for them. You'll get the odd one or two people who will tell you that a gun might have saved them in a certain situation but the truth is that half the time they're either speculating and the other they're merely saying it because they want the forbidden apple.
# any amedment - it is my right NOT to have a gun.

As for the topic and the car killer? Well, you have to remember that this is just a news report. Because of the state of our transportation systems over here, we get # like this thrown at us all the time. We're living on a tiny island with a large population of motor owners. We are nothing like the States where you can jump in a car and cruise for hours on highways that go off over the horizon. The truth is that our roads over here are completely screwed - we're almost third world. Go out in your car and you can expect to stop start, stop start, sit in a jam, for most of your journey. Traffic mass and the quality of our road system not only makes a journey tedious but also dangerous.
So we get suggestions like the one at the start of the topic. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be put into place. But it does show what a desparate situation our roads are in over here. People will make the wildest ideas sound like they could become reality just to slow us down, make us drive safer or try and keep us off the roads altogether.

Personally I couldn't give a # about this so called speed button for two reasons:

a) It will never happen.
b) If by a total miracle it was ever brought about? I would disconnect the #er within a second.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Just to take the topic back to the original post for a second, I am not for the idea of authorities having the ability to remotely disable a car as this can be a serious safety risk to both the driver and others around him/her.

But I must admit the law isn't very stern on speeding despite the numerous automated speed guns, cameras and new speed laws constantly being introduced. As has been said, alot of the time the speed cameras are vandilised or simply don't work!

Speeding is a very serious issue here in England which I don't think most Americans would realise unless they have spent some time over here.

Having spent decades on both continents I think I can neutrally say the average road here is at least 2 1/2 times narrower and there isn't a town in the UK without a 17 year old townie blazing down these narrow streets in their Vauxhall Nova at 60MPH. This is one of my many pet peeves here, but the younger generation are extremely dangerous and don't realise the risk they are presenting, regularly travelling residential 30MPH and 40MPH zones close to 80 or 90... and I haven't even mentioned a motorway (highway)!

As for the comment about parents swearing at childrens' football matches, obviously you haven't heard some of the parents I've been around. I'm sure any football fan is aware of England's football hooliganism problem, well its not restricted to Internationals but even down to the local children's club too.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I certainly sympathize with folks wanting cars to slow down where pedestrians and occupied buildings are nearby. I live on a street that used to be rural, but has been built up rapidly and is now very residential. The speed limit is 25 mph, but folks regularly do 60 mph or more. I do not think that putting devices in cars to remotely control them is the answer. The answer is to make the penalty for speeding so severe that it will actually deter somebody from doing it. For somebody doing 30 mph over the limit I would make a week in jail mandatory on the first offense.

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
i think the idea of citizens carrying firearms stupid, the criminals in the UK that carry guns shoot random people anyway, all it will do is just make them shoot more random people because they think they are armed, basically it will result in more dead people, so not a good idea.......

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Thank you for this insite on British life, and a return to the orginal post. However, if i may carefully disagree.

Originally posted by SimonGray
Just to take the topic back to the original post for a second, I am not for the idea of authorities having the ability to remotely disable a car as this can be a serious safety risk to both the driver and others around him/her.

Nice to see, i feel it also is a dangerous power for one to possess, even more so, in a country where it is hard to protect yourself

But I must admit the law isn't very stern on speeding despite the numerous automated speed guns, cameras and new speed laws constantly being introduced. As has been said, alot of the time the speed cameras are vandilised or simply don't work!

ey'

Speeding is a very serious issue here in England which I don't think most Americans would realise unless they have spent some time over here.

It can be a problem in u.s.A. also, i must say, however i have never been to Britain.

But based on the "Police Chases" shows on tv that were recorded in Britian, i laugh.

It seem so minor/silly compared to American "Cops" or u.s. "Police Chases"

However, i can not judge yet, i have not seen it in my own eyes.

Having spent decades on both continents I think I can neutrally say the average road here is at least 2 1/2 times narrower

i'll bet you haven't seen some towns up here, they got two way streets that are about the size of one car.

and there isn't a town in the UK without a 17 year old townie blazing down these narrow streets in their Vauxhall Nova at 60MPH.

it is a problem here to, but the fines are quite heavy, and often deters such recklessness.

This is one of my many pet peeves here, but the younger generation are extremely dangerous and don't realise the risk they are presenting, regularly travelling residential 30MPH and 40MPH zones close to 80 or 90... and I haven't even mentioned a motorway (highway)!

Youth drivers, (i'll admit i was the same way) are terrible in judgement and in comprehension. They'll fly though school zones, without a care in the world.
It takes time, and lessons to be learned.

As for the comment about parents swearing at childrens' football matches, obviously you haven't heard some of the parents I've been around. I'm sure any football fan is aware of England's football hooliganism problem, well its not restricted to Internationals but even down to the local children's club too.

there are problems over here too, but i have noticed, it almost always at soccer (european football) or hockey games. Reason why? I wish i knew. However i feel that the idea that were presented in the article, are severely overboard.

Jo

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
After living in South Africa for 30 years now I yet have to be the victim of crime in any definition of the word.
This is despite the fact that I supposedly live in the most violent country in the world...... Um yeah right thanks to Western media sensationalism compliments mostly of the British networks.

Yes I do carry a firearm but I am responsible and discreet about it and train regularly at the range as I am a SWAT member in the volunteer police service here.
Yes I get shot at for free... crazy I know I know!

Now whilst I was in the UK for a few months not so long ago I was the victim of a stabbing in London and the place I was living at in Portsmouth was burgled TWICE!!
In general I found British society violent, depressing, confrontational and the hospitality sucks. I truly did not feel safe there and could not wait to get back home to South Africa.

There's a certain irony to that.

I recently bought a sign for my gate that reads " Never mind the dog, the owner has a gun"

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
The speeding thing is partly the manufactures fault too. Humans are obsest with speed so car makers have only filled that obsestion by making cars that can do 120mph when the limit in the UK is 70mph. Also why make a car that can go from stand still to 60mph in 5 seconds? When you move off from lights you shouldn't even get to 60mph when the limit is 30mph.
Make a car that does 200mph and people will want to make it go that fast. I've driven a few high performance cars in the past and it scarey just how soon you go over the speed limit.

OH and speed cameras have nothing to do with safety and more to do with getting more revenue for the local cops.

Speed limits are there for a reason.
Speed does kill.

As for the kids footy thing. I've been to a few kids matches and I must say it ain't nice hearing a perant swearing like a trooper at their 8 year old kids when they lose the ball or miss a shot. What is this behavior teaching the kids I hate to thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jo
After living in South Africa for 30 years now I yet have to be the victim of crime in any definition of the word.
This is despite the fact that I supposedly live in the most violent country in the world...... Um yeah right thanks to Western media sensationalism compliments mostly of the British networks.

Yes I do carry a firearm but I am responsible and discreet about it and train regularly at the range as I am a SWAT member in the volunteer police service here.
Yes I get shot at for free... crazy I know I know!

Now whilst I was in the UK for a few months not so long ago I was the victim of a stabbing in London and the place I was living at in Portsmouth was burgled TWICE!!
In general I found British society violent, depressing, confrontational and the hospitality sucks. I truly did not feel safe there and could not wait to get back home to South Africa.

There's a certain irony to that.

I recently bought a sign for my gate that reads " Never mind the dog, the owner has a gun"

Uhmm That reminds me of a couple of stories the American press love to print to prove that the British Society is more violent and crime ridden than America.

!. 2 20 something lads from a rough part of teh Bronx came to England on holiday. They believed England to be the Marry Poppins, quaint villages and so on often portrayed by the US press. They decided to stay in MAnchester, in an area called Moss Side, which, Ironically is called the British Bronx by the media, who also gave MAnchester the nickname of Gunchester. To cut a long story short, these 2 New Yorkers had until then avoided any form of crime but in Manchester one was shot, they were robbed 5 times, they were beaten up a couple of times by pissheads etc etc. They went home to the saftey of the Bronx (something which must sound very odd to many).

2. A group of students ( i just tried to find a link but cant think what to search under, there are diffenately some there). from the mid west of America moved to Longsight, Manchester to study. A similar story as the 1st. A gang kicked their door down one night and burst in, sticking guns in their faces and keeping them hostage until they get themp every bit of money they possibly can. This comingf after other incidents they again, decided to move back home.

I have also had a gun puilled on me. I have been a witness to a shooting and many other things that i forget as they are quite commen place but I still feel absolutely no need to carry a weapon.

And, I am sorry you had a poor time over here, maybe you choose your areas badly. If we go to NYC or South Africa, we are normally told the areas to avoid but i dont think people coming to this country are.

That said, there is no argument that SA is by far a more violant country than England/Britain and pretty much anywhere else, come to that.

Jo

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   

That said, there is no argument that SA is by far a more violant country than England/Britain and pretty much anywhere else, come to that.

You been to SA or are you talking from a media broadcast point of view?

If you've been here... well what can I say, that's your opinion.

If not .... I remember meeting your type in the UK.
We've gone way of topic here so I'm booking out of this conversation for the sake of those who wish to discuss the real topic at hand.

My sympathies.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i'd like to point out one thing.....

guns don't kill people,
people kill people!

i do think that the thugs, lowlifes and crackheads in bristol, uk (where i live) would think twice about jacking granny if she was packing heat!

Jo

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by psycosrus
i'd like to point out one thing.....

guns don't kill people,
people kill people!

i do think that the thugs, lowlifes and crackheads in bristol, uk (where i live) would think twice about jacking granny if she was packing heat!

AMEN TO THAT!

All my shootings were demed justified subject to investigations and each one of them were people who tried to kill me first.

If speed kills people then why is there an autobahn in Germany where there is no speed limit?

Is this a case of, like the point of guns made now, that idiots who speed kill and not speed itself?

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jo

You been to SA or are you talking from a media broadcast point of view?

If you've been here... well what can I say, that's your opinion.

If not .... I remember meeting your type in the UK.
We've gone way of topic here so I'm booking out of this conversation for the sake of those who wish to discuss the real topic at hand.

My sympathies.

Excuse me? My type? And what, exactly is my type?

I am going off nothing more than the international crime stats. Also, I am talking here about gun crime and murder.

I appreciate your defensiveness for your country which is, of course a wonderful and beautiful country with extroadinary history both good and bad and often heartbreaking. A country of both beautiful, hugely wise and intelligent people and tyrants. In many cases I would also defend your country as much as my knowledge would allow as I constantly find myself doing but the figures speak for themselves. I am not saying that your people or your country are bad or evilk or even dangerous because of this, the reasons behind it are plentiful, sometimes obvious but never black and white (no pun intended).

All I am saying is you have a higher gun crime level than my country and many others, thats all, its a fact I am afraid! Now, you ask me which country has the most brain dead, shell suit wearing, petty crime fetichist, ignorant, arrogant, ambitionless wankers and I would guarentee that Britain wins hands down.

Sp please, do not be in denial of your countries many problems and PLEASE DO NOT think that I would ever belittle yoru country or think for a second that my country and population is in any way better than yours because I never would but I will not tell you that SA is a country in blissful peace and harmoney befcause that just isnt true.

The Statistics speak for themselves. I am not one to put all my faith in stats and polls but somje are impossible to argue against.

So, once more, please explain what and who my "type of person" is.

Thankyou

p.s. If it makes you feel any better, weighing it all up. Culture for culture, nature for nature, history for history, crime for crime, danger for danger, weather for weather, population for population. I would swap homes with you in a second!

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I totally agree that people kill people, not guns but what I would like to understand is what is the reason our race (human race is the only race as far as i am concerned) has a tool with the sole purpose of killing others.

My mind is so screwed up by the thought that we are so #ed up we need such total protection.

For the state we live in today, I think that guns have their purpose. If the gun laws here were different, I would consider keeping a gun at home (only) and if I ever felt my family or I were in any danger I woudl have no qualms about using it. BUT, it is very very sad that we live in a world of such fear. A world where we all realise that the chances of someone taking our lives or our loved ones lives is by no means an impossibility and that the situation is so severe that we must fight firepower with firepower.

Just so you can get a little more insight into my state of mind and background.

I live in a rough area of Manchester called Hyde, it isnt as bad as places like Moss Side or Longsight but it is quite poor. I have had few friends who have been murdered, many through drug problems (if you know me well you will know I am a heroin addict). Many, MANY of my different friends family and neighbours were murdered by a serial killer who is infamous for having the highest murder count, he was my doctor, his name is Doctor HArold SHipman. Another couple of seriel killers killed a close family friends son, they were Myra Hindley and Ian Brady, they are infamous for the moors murders.
I have had a gun pulled on me, I have been witness to a shooting, my old flat would rin with the sound of gun shots every single night. I definately know what crime is and what its outcome far too often can be. BUt still I am very much anti firearm, anti death penalty but I think this is because I am basically ANTI CRIME!!

Jo

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   

So, once more, please explain what and who my "type of person" is.

Thankyou

p.s. If it makes you feel any better, weighing it all up. Culture for culture, nature for nature, history for history, crime for crime, danger for danger, weather for weather, population for population. I would swap homes with you in a second!

Here is something that will make you think twice about peaceful UK.

I mentioned my journey to Britain but my reason for actually making my reluctant trip arose from the fact that I am a paramedic and lecture to student paramedics here in SA.

I was asked by the British health care services to lecture to there paramedics on the treatment of gun shot wounds as it is becoming a serious problem in the UK and there local emergency medical staff do not have sufficient experience in treating such injuries.

As for the the "your type" comment.
A few students I was lecturing to in the UK walked out of my clas when they discovered that I was a white South African and did not aprove of me as I was automatically labled a racist, which I am not, and secondly they could not accept that an "African" could teach a first world class anything.

Sir, once again I put it to you that the hostility, aggresiveness and blatant ignorance I experienced in your country was unlike anything I had ever experienced in my 30 years of living in South Africa.

However, from your reply and sincerity to my comments I can see that you are a gentleman and do not fall with in the criticism I have generalised here.
For that I do apologise and can truly believe it when you say you would not hesitate to swap homes with me in a second.

For the sake of others in this forum who wish to keep the original topic of discussion going here shall we agree to disagree and go our seperate ways with our prides intact.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Of course, yeah. There is no handshake smiley here so this will have to do

For the record, I know my country is far from peaceful but I do know that it isnt alone. We all live in a terribly violent world.

I went to Switzerland a few years back for a birthday. The tour guide told us on arrival that we (she was actually addressing the older ladies of teh group) could walk teh streets at night, at any time without any fear at all because there is no crime there. I was astounded by this, coming from where I do, knowing of the worlds problems it just seemed like I had walked injto a faery tale. It seemed to me completely unnatural and weird which,; I think really summs up the world today! In switzerland, they actually close up their stores at lunch but leave everything that was on display outside where it was. Jewellers had displays of rings outside the windos while the shop was closed for lunch, without any fear of coming back and finding only the very cheapest ring.

Anyway, I think you ended this debate very well and eloquently and I can definately respectfully agree to disagree with you.

cheers!

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
An interesting topic - however whilst on the subject of gun related incidents and the UK it does bear remembering that Northern Ireland is part of the UK and the statistics ofton used are actually in part derived from incidents in the province.

On a side note i was interested to learn that someone from South Africa had trained UK paramedics on gunshot trauma. I always thought that the Belfast Royal Infirmiry was a world leader on this - even training medics from as far away as Los Angeles.

Im sorry anyone reading this topic might actually get the wrong impression - I have lived in the US and the UK and actually have the impression that gun violence is far more prevailent in the US than the UK - and to add I'm also from Manchester and spent 4 years in Belfast, currently living in London.

Jo

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   

On a side note i was interested to learn that someone from South Africa had trained UK paramedics on gunshot trauma. I always thought that the Belfast Royal Infirmiry was a world leader on this - even training medics from as far away as Los Angeles.

Silk. Yes you are correct about the Belfast Royal Infirmary and I had one or two of them in my class aswell whilst lecturing at the Royal Marines base in Portsmouth.

What makes them world leaders is the fact that they are not narrow minded and actually came to my lecture to see if there is anything new to learn.

The following year a few of there medics soldiers even came for practical experience in SA at the Bragwanath hospital in Soweto and I will never forget hearing a soldier comment " My God, I have never seen so much blood in my life" we all had a good laugh at him whilst he stood there in a state of panic as we were tending to a victim.

As another point of interest. A South African medical company called Netcare is set to take over the management and running of all NHS hospitals in the UK soon.
(I bet you Brits are besides yourselves at the thought of Africans doing a better job than has been done so far) hahahahahaha!!!

But let's face it. The international community has recognised and accepted that top nurses, paramedics and doctors do infact come from South Africa and as such are in high demand internationaly.

I could go on for another two pages about South African accomplishment and how we regard western standards as far inferior to ours but this site will sum it up for you. www.proudlysouthafrican.com

Sorry to shatter your western world of perfection.

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Jo my apologies if a simple comment about BRI leads you to believe that I hold South Africa in anything other than the highest esteem - Im sure you are as proud of your achievements as any nation. Knowing many of you countrymen very well I understand the pride that you have in your nation.

For the record the Western Hemisphere - of which you are actually part should really be relabled the Northern Hemisphere - as per the Brantt Report of 1980 (?) which does actually include South Africa as one of the non Western European Nations. Its a term of semantics - but one which actually defined the split between the affluent polluting nations and those nations requiring support for development.

Whilst SA - as you rightly say is a rich and diverse country as yet it tends to ally itself with the Northern nations rather than its own neighbours.

But this is actually beside the point - the post was about car control anyhow - and to be honest with the largest producers of automobiles still in the US and Asia(all UK car producers are owned by the US and Japan) I hardly think that the Brits will be the first to face the "Car Killer".

Jo

posted on Dec, 28 2003 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
Jo my apologies if a simple comment about BRI leads you to believe that I hold South Africa in anything other than the highest esteem

You are absolutely right Silk and my own pride has clouded my judgement.

I see now how easy it is to fall into that trap and I am embarrased now.

Enough hoohaa about who has the biggest penis and let's get this topic back on track.

posted on Dec, 29 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just on teh gun crime thingy again.

A copper was shot dead on Boxing Day in Leeds, which is a city 20 miles east of Manchester. Kind of Ironically, the gun man was an American ex patriat.

It is big news over here at the moment as Police shootings are quite rare, which suprises me actually. NOrmally, you never hear of a shooting on the national news unless it is in London but of course, London is obviously more important than anywhere else in teh world.

Ohhhh, dont get me onto London!!!!

Jo, it seems obvious that you have had to spend a lot of time defending yoru country from insult from others which is very sad, even more so when your pride is so strong but I hope you see that you will not have to defend it quite so rigidly on this site as it seems that many feel as you do (obviousl;y not as strongly because it is not our country) and I expect teh other members also feel the same (at least the ones that know anything about history, politics, travel, etc)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join