It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10% of the brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I have read and heard that we only use 10% of our brains. I have also heard of us only using one side of our brain. Now, I assume these are true. I would like to do an experiment or something like that. I want some people to do an exercise for the week. Try doing stuff oppositly. If you do something with your left hand, do it with your right. If you do something with your right foot, try it with your left. Invert everything. U2u me if you experience any changes

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
wrong...only the smartest MAY use 10%...most people are using much less...

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
You're both wrong, we use our entire brain. Different parts are responsible for different activities.

jra

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferferfer33
I have read and heard that we only use 10% of our brains.

As far as I know, this isn't true and is only a misconception. I've also read that if all your neurons were firring at once, it would not make you smarter, but would instead give you a seizure. Tests have shown that the brains of more intelligent people are less active than those of lesser intelligence, working on the same problems.

I have also heard of us only using one side of our brain.

We use both sides. Check out these links for more information. en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
posted twice by accident.

[edit on 27-2-2007 by selfless]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
We all have the same shell but our soul is all different therefor we are all different even though we are all composed of the same shell.

What makes who we are is the natural process of the soul's journey.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
... "We use %10 of our brain" is a long passed myth. There is several threads with this... Just take my word for it. As for the "souls journey"... You are partially wrong there to. The soul is an artificial capsule encasing the "spirit" in the ruled universe of darkness.

7A

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think you miss interpreted what i meant.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
... "We use %10 of our brain" is a long passed myth. There is several threads with this... Just take my word for it. As for the "souls journey"... You are partially wrong there to. The soul is an artificial capsule encasing the "spirit" in the ruled universe of darkness.

7A

You Dont have a Soul.

As for the other person that said we use the full brain, again there is conscious and unconscious...its all a matter of perspective.

We are all wrong.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Simply by the fact that you are here right now experiencing consciousness of your existence proves that it is impossible to have a beginning and it is impossible to have an end, we are simply eternal.

There are no words that describes this experience, once you awake you see beyond the physical plane and can make decisions that are related to the afterlife.

It is only natural to find your self eventually.

Peace and love.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
my nasty answer :

" if you believe that only 10% of the brain is used - please indicate which 90% of YOUR brain i can remove , in order to scientificly test this "

my nice reply :

the 10% myth is based on a simple misunderstanding - because during certain activities some areas of the brain are inactive

the obvious rebuttal of the myth is a case stuy of people who have suffered crania trauma or lobotomy - dependant on the exact area and scope of damage - certain activities are impared to various degrees

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up. Nix that experiment. I did read in a mag that if u do do stuff inverted than it'll help your brain. Is that true?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Isn't one of the left parts of your brain responsible for the right side of your body and vice-versa?

I don't know if using the other side of your body more would be good for you. Maybe it would because it would stimulate parts of your brain that you don't really use that much which would encourage your whole brain to work faster?

Just a theory.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I thought it was more like our mind can only interpret 10% of the information that comes in. Something like a billion signals are picked up by the brain but our minds are conditioned to only interpret 10%. The implications of this are that we only experience the physical reality. Or some such nonsense.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The whole brain is used. The brain is an organ, made up of neurons. They are all active. Not all at one time obviously, there would't be any fucntion if they were all just polarizing and depolarizing regularly. But certainly not 10% are depolarizing at any one moment.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
hmm 10 % use our brains capacity? .. now thats a myth imo.

but i lean more to that we do use about 70 % of our brain capacity and abilities.
and 30 % remains as a "locked doors"

since i had ever since got a feeling that human body is sorta.. incomplete, weakened inmunity and so on.. as if the "creator" left us humans (homo sapiens) half done work.

well thats my opinion

- Viperion

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That 10% myth is probably the best marketing campaign ever. After so many years people still believe that. Thank ABC for that.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
just my 2 cents,

The actual wording is this... At any given time the Average Human Being is capable of using 7% of their brain, for specific functions. More organized brains are known to run on an avegage of 10% of the brain...

Now for the others...
Yes the more brain we use (neuron Wise) the more likely we will have a Cerebral herromorage due to seizure(Basically it fries itself like a harddrive)

There are studies that show that the Higher intellect a person has (true intelligence not just IQ but processing speeds, Coordination Etc.) said person also uses a much smaller amount of there brain at any given time... However while learning new skills, Debating, basic intellectual stimuli These same people will use on average 10% of there brain (doesn't 10% Average mean a lot go to 12-15%, thus disproving the 10% theory on its own?)

Basically the Brain is a BIG BIG MYSTERY STILL... Sad as it seems, we know very little about it besides the basic structure, and firing processes... We don't know how it REALLY works, how it activates the memory once the neuron has fired, etc.

Hope I Could Help

Coven Out

~~Random stupid quote here~~

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

Originally posted by 7Ayreon

7A

You Dont have a Soul.

As for the other person that said we use the full brain, again there is conscious and unconscious...its all a matter of perspective.

We are all wrong.

Peace

dAlen

you're so lost

but coming from someone with the prefix 'lord' i guess i should listen

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Isn't it that were are only using 10% of the brain at any given time that causes the misconception?

For example: Doing a math problem you using 10% in one region of the brain, but driving a car you use 10%. Maybe if you combined them you would have 15% usage as some areas overlap.

If you wanted to use a really high percentage, you owuld have to do something like: Drive your car, whilst eating and drinking, quoteing Shakespeare, solving a maths equation, watching TV, listening to music and talking on the phone?

I am sure there are some reasons we do not access at all though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join