It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

help with the bible please

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
first Id like to say, dont be afraid. The end has been predicted for many generations. Whether its the mayan calander running out, an asteroid, alien invasion, or simply the second coming of christ.
I congradulate you on your decision to learn more about God. Whatever reason brought you to him, its good that you have chosen to seek him out.

as for the help you were looking for...

please feel free to explore the following links...

bible.com...

www.studylight.org...

www.christianitytoday.com...

www.christianadvice.net...

Good Luck

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'd say that the most important thing to understand about the Bible is that it was not written in English. It was not written in modern Hebrew, Greek, Arameic, either. Pretty much none of the original texts exist so, keep in mind that it was copied by men and then those copies were copied by other men and those were copied by other men, and centuries passed and the exact meanings of words change over time in any language. Scribes, though pure of heart, can make small mistakes that change the meanings, and so on and so on and so on.....

My point is this: it makes no sense to argue over the exact words of certain scriptures and it's really, really a lost cause to argue over a few words in any English translation.

Read the Bible for meaning and general teachings if you will but don't attempt to read it as a history book or a recipe book or any other level of precision that either never existed or has long since been lost.

Good luck on your journey - it will take you all of your life but I hope you find that it's worth the effort.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
I am quoting from the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures.

That translation is in error. It is intentionally in error. It is exactly what the Jehovah Witness have done. There is no "A" in the original Greek. It was added. This is the proper translation..........and Jesus was God.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
You all don't believe in this,'Do you?"

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Aliens? No I don't believe in aliens.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The manifestation of a one omnipotent god is stupid, there is no god's and there will never be. Except in our minds eyey. it is fascinating to see how many of our worlds population are transfixed into a a belief that levies from one to another, ."Get a freaking Thought!!"
It isn't there, you could fight until you die from it, thing is,"You have to die to know!!"
get over it folk's, it is our inevitable out come!! DAH

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

That translation is in error. It is intentionally in error. It is exactly what the Jehovah Witness have done. There is no "A" in the original Greek. It was added. This is the proper translation..........and Jesus was God.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Where do you get your information from? Where do you come up with the "error" parts from? What makes you so sure that your bible is not the one with the "error" in it?

Besides John 1:1, what do you have to say about the other verses from the bible that I quoted that go hand in hand with what I said about Jesus not being God?

Don't just say "well it's a Jehovah's Witness bible therefore it's wrong".

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Hi,
the first thing you have to realize is that No man comes to christ save god our father calls him.
So if you are thinking about him, and wondering how to reach him its a good bet He is thinking about you too.
Second of all is thatGod is no respecter of persons, and in any country those that love Him and seek to obey him are acceptable to him...
I would suggest you start with the book of John,,,
Then you will have the story....
Acts may be a good place to go next to see what the result was shortly after Jesus left us to return to our Father.
After that revelation will bring you up to speed.....
Dont worry about the rest till you have an honest thirst to know....
The old testament has a great deal of prophecy in it that confirms the new testament...as well as prophecies for our future both immediate and long term.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Hi gorgouk.
I'm afraid this is not the place to learn about Jesus. You need to find a church leader to direct you to courses where the teaching is sound and you can ask questions then make up your oun mind if you believe in the teaching or not.
Yes, there are some very knowlageable people here on ATS that have the correct answers, but as you can see from the replies here, you can also be misled. A lot of people take in the main jist of Christianity then put thier own slant on the parts that they find hard to believe or does not fit in with thier lifestyle.
If you use this place as a classroom you will come away with quite a unique view of Christianity.
I wish you all the best in your search for the truth.
jon1.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkyWay
Jesus Christ is God in the flesh and Redeemer of the world. He rose from death and lives forever more. He will return soon.

Hi skyway,

You say jesus is god in the flesh so read these two excerpts from the bible and tell me how you reconcile the two.

I and my Father are one.
John 10:30
(Christ equal to God)

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
John 14:28
(Christ less than God)

So i ask again if christ father (God) is greater than he, then how can jesus be god or equal too God

Look forward to your reply as this one has buged me for a long time.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Anyone have access to an accurate original Greek Gospel of John? I would go off of that before I made any conclusions of what is said in John 1:1. I would also examine the words being used and their context, alot of Bible thumpers use things way out of context to justify various inaccurate concepts.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The most important thing for you to remember is that Jesus left a message, a big message.

love yourself,love your family and love your neighbors. basically love everyone around you.

You don't need to read the whole bible or get into a religion to learn what's in the bible, just be sure and keep in mind what was Jesus main message when he was here. that's all.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by gorgouk
like a bible for idiots would be great.

I think the one we currently have already fills that bill.

Anyway, you have this "God," which looks like a human being, probably a white male human being. But at the same time, this God is omnipotent, all-powerful, and all-knowing, but curiously emotionally insecure. He needs love and demands worship to be happy. He creates human beings, but then is surprised and disappointed when they consistently do things he doesn't like. He actually goes so far as to try and destroy humanity several times out of spite. God selects the Hebrews as his "chosen people," presumably because they are the hardest folks to convince because they're so smart. He helps them slaughter some of their enemies, but after a while, God kind of loses interest in direct contact with humanity, lets them get conquered, and speaks to people more through a series of "prophets." One of these is an Egyptian Hebrew named Jesus. Jesus shows up during a bad time when Romans are occupying Hebrew territory, and preaches a kind of passive resistance to the people. He also irritates the Hebrew authorities by claiming (pretty accurately) that they no longer follow the true will of God, and encouraging the locals to follow his teachings rather than those of the established church. Jesus fails to spark an uprising, though, since the authorities grab him and kill him. But Jesus tricks them by rising from his tomb a few days later, but instead of hanging around for another 30 years or so, which really would have been something, he ascends to Heaven. He leaves his message in the hands of his disciples, and one of them, a former Jew named Paul, takes the ball and runs with it, establishing "Christian" churches all over the place until he's eventually grabbed by the authorities and killed, himself. No coming back from the dead for him, though. Anyway, a lot of stories get told and retold and bits get added and subtracted. Some of the old Egyptian Isis/Osiris/Horus material gets added, and the Greeks call Jesus a God, as they were in that habit with their emperors. More prophets show up and give their take on it, until you finally get one who is really nuts talking in weird symbolism about the end of the world. A bit of a strange ending for a story about somebody who preached peace, but there you go.

That's the generally accepted Bible as it was collected and edited according to the direction of King James. Since then, quite a few other stories and Bibles have been written, including the Koran, Book of Mormon, Ohaspe, Urantia, among others, which attempt to expand or clarify the basic stories.

The funny thing is, many if not most people who call themselves "religious," and say they believe what is written in the Bible have never actually sat down and read it for themselves. They prefer to have other people "interpret" it for them, although if they did read it, they'd find it was actually pretty easy to understand, even if it's contradictory in some key areas. But you know how people are lazy and prefer to be told what to do rather than think for themselves. That's human nature.

Anyway, the stories are mildly interesting, compared to similar ancient folktales from other cultures. The overall narrative loses some steam in the middle and toward the end.

The best thing to do if you're interested is to read the entire Bible, then the stuff that wasn't included in the current edit. Then compare the stories with those found in other religious works to see how they stack up. You can find all of this stuff on the Internet.

After that, Mr. Troll, if you want to get down on your knees and grovel and pray to God for mercy and forgiveness, go right on ahead. Lots of people do. Fortunately, unlike times not too very long ago, these days you won't be burned alive as a heretic if you don't.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by SuicideVirus]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaper2

Originally posted by SkyWay
Jesus Christ is God in the flesh and Redeemer of the world. He rose from death and lives forever more. He will return soon.

Hi skyway,

You say jesus is god in the flesh so read these two excerpts from the bible and tell me how you reconcile the two.

I and my Father are one.
John 10:30
(Christ equal to God)

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
John 14:28
(Christ less than God)

So i ask again if christ father (God) is greater than he, then how can jesus be god or equal too God

Look forward to your reply as this one has buged me for a long time.

Jesus is equal and yet regards His Father as greater in the same way that you are equal in nature to your earthly father and yet you regard him as greater than yourself...at least most sons, who love their earthly fathers, regard them as greater than themselves.

[edit on 18-2-2007 by SkyWay]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Hey, SuicideVirus.
Give the guy at least a chance. With comments like yours he is recieving no help whatsoever. Why would you even make a post like that.
If you dont believe in god or the bible why are you on this forum let alone giving your distorted view on things. he is looking for help not hinderence.
I think your name goes a long way to answering this question.
get a life
Jon1.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
He asked a basic question about 'understanding the Bible and I don't believe that God is the author of confusion but man is. My response is there are many biblical translations out there as well as commentaries to help you understand. try downloading E-Sword

www.e-sword.net...

Thr program is FREE~! I've had mine for several years and it also includes Strong's Concordance for the original language. See if this helps you also pray and God gives wisdom:-) You have a heart to learn and God will not deny you of that prayer request.

PS Read John 1 in it's entirety and look at the original Strong's tags on the WORDS. Make it simple. The three as ONE. Water or h2O is water BUT if you FREEZE water it becomes ICE - Frozen water, or IF you BOIL water it becomes STEAM< yet it is STILL water just boiled.

TELEPHONE theory- You have a CORD that PLUGS into a jack, a BASE and a RECEIVER< Holy Spirit is the CORD< GOD is the BASE, Jesus IS the reciever, YOU are the wall jack simply PLUG IN! heheh It's still a TELEPHONE but all componants link IN.

[edit on 20-2-2007 by LadyPropag8r]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
if someone has already said this, i am sorry, but i didn't take the time to read the other posts

for the record, there is a widely held view by biblical scholars that the bible has nothing prophetic to say about the end of the world. all stories about such an event can be seen as nothing more than allegorical texts made to inspire hope that the adherents of the faith would win in the end.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
if someone has already said this, i am sorry, but i didn't take the time to read the other posts

for the record, there is a widely held view by biblical scholars that the bible has nothing prophetic to say about the end of the world. all stories about such an event can be seen as nothing more than allegorical texts made to inspire hope that the adherents of the faith would win in the end.

1. That's not even what is being discussed.
2. What are your sources for your "claim"

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

So, how do you explain John 1:18? (No man hath seen God at any time)

There's plenty of other scriptures that make the "truth" of the trinity leak like a siv.

Good day

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The bible itself says that "no man shall no the hour" and that it will come "like a thief in the night." There have been HUNDREDS of predictions throughout the centuries of when God would return. All of which up to this point have turned out to be wrong. End-time predictions are usually a result of troubled or traumatic periods of social distress i.e. wars, famines, plagues, etc. In which people begin seeking answers and relief or at least a sign of when their hardships will end. Don't look for dates because it is unknown. Their are no "hidden signs" that point to a specific date. Simply live a life God would be proud of. Everything else will take care of itself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join