It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do U.S. Politicians Exploit Terrrorism?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The Story So Far

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to know what's coming next. "Tradition" and "tolerance" are about to collide. The first two years of George W. Bush's second term witnessed a steady escalation in America's undeclared culture war as the disciples of Tradition gird for battle against the forces of Tolerance. As they come to blows, both camps will raise similar flags to rally their troops. Abortion, gay marriage, and health care will each be seen as the other side's weakness.

As both sides struggle to achieve dominance in the arena of politics, they're stirring the winds of change in to a ravenous whirling firestorm that might consume the society that is their "prize" for victory. In the history of a nation, moments like this don't come along very often. When they do, they signal one of two things. Evolution of the society, or, death of the nation. As an author of predictive political fiction, I feel properly placed in the strata of our society to call it as I see it.

In the summer of 1861, our nation stood divided. By today's standards, ideological roles were reversed. The forces of Tolerance held the upper hand and were ready to spill blood to make their point. The disciples of Tradition stood equally defiant, ready to defend what they'd worked so hard to build from virtually nothing. Trade, and Slavery were the two largest battle standards that flew in the vanguards. Then, as now, an 'undeclared war' had been fought in the decade leading up to the actual "event."

If history is our guide, we find ourselves in the decade leading up to an "event." Today's issues are different, but the passion that motivated both sides in that Civil War still burns in our veins. It comes to life each time we pick up a newspaper or t.v. remote. The flags have changed, and the battlefields will be different, but the "event" will be fueled by two ideas that have clashed before. Only the names of the people involved will change.

As modern war drums electronically throb and pulse along that sacred swath of Potomac, we need to understand that we've been down this path once before, and we survived. More good than bad came from the Civil War. As we watch career politicians on both sides of the aisles continue to legislate away our freedoms, liberties, and privileges, the issue is in doubt as we get ready to face up to our own "event." I'd like to think that the death of this nation is not to be seen for a thousand years, if ever. If our elected leaders don't cripple us before the fight starts, we might bear witness to an evolution of our democracy that will embrace some degree of change while preserving the most sacred of our traditions.

Aggression in the 21st Century

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to know what's coming next. The Middle Eastern terror threat is about to have competition. We're just now starting to see the rise of trans-national groups that will attack us from many different directions, for many different reasons. The same technology that powers the trend called Globalization will also empower trans-national terror groups.

People of like mind, regardless of where they live, are talking to each other right now. Loose associations are being forged in to tight-knit groups that will one day give birth to new underground organizations. These new entities will employ de-centralized chains of command (autonomous cells), using guerilla tactics to achieve their goals. Today's Eco-terrorist movements provide us with a crude example of what we will soon be up against. These future terror groups will have a variety of motivations. Religious, Economic, and Socially motivated recruits will compete for the media's attention.

In the past, we've been confronted by the threat of State-sponsored enemies. Tomorrow's hostile forces won't owe their existence to any government. They may be aligned with or sympathetic specific religions, nationalities, or ethnicities, but; they be 'owned' by any sovereign power. Some of these groups may even be purely mercenary. This is to say they will provide goods or services to anyone who meets their price, without regard to any laws or borders they might violate along the way. Hence, the trans-national designation.

Why will this happened? Just one reason. The overall effect of Globalization means the tearing down of barriers. Social, ethnic, economic, and theological chaos will ensue. That, at least, is the fear of many. To some extent, their fears are justified. Here's why. The current round of Globalization is over-powering or destroying many of the world's oldest economies. For some, this is a good thing. For others, its all the reason they need to take up arms against the countries pushing the very idea of Globalization.

History tells us that economic change leads to other sorts of change. As Society and Religion get sucked in to the mix, we'll start seeing that chaos I mentioned. Some trans-national terror groups won't even have names, though most will have snappy media-friendly images that help make their point and boost recruiting. Instant world-wide communications will let them talk to you, or 'at' you, from anywhere on the planet. Transmission of real-time video will let you see that they mean business.

Just because we know this threat is coming doesn't mean we'll be able to put a stop to it. We can't agree on how to stop today's terror groups. As I write this, only one thing seems genuinely obvious. As Americans, our freedoms are under assault now by just a handful of regional terror groups that we can identify. If we're not careful, our freedoms will soon be under siege by a multitude of global groups that we might not be able to track or defeat.

The Evolution of Terror

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to know who today's trans-natioanl terrorists really are, or what they are about to become. Some are the Muslim extremists we've all seen reported on the evening news. Others are motivated by non-religious causes. Environmentalism. Marxism. Arbortion. A precious few are in it for reasons we'll never understand. In every cases, these groups are headed up by people who know one thing you don't.

Today's Old School terrorists are being replaced by a new breed of pseudo-ideological entrepreneurs. They're in if for the money. They don't owe allegiance to any nation or government. They are so elusive that today's intelligence community can barely track them. CIA, NSA, DIA, and Homeland Security are not yet equipped to deal with this emerging threat. If you pay close attention to what you see on the news, you'll be able to watch this happened.

Terror groups like Al Qaeda and HAMAS represent two ends of a rapidly changing spectrum. In spite of all the bad press, Al Queada is being hunted to the edge of extinction. HAMAS is about to be co-opted by political interests. Within the next two years, the leadership of both groups will be un-employed if they don't change the way they "do business." The Arafat era has come to an end. Both groups have been too successful for their own good. For different reasons, they must adapt or die.

If history is our guide, the well paid leadership of these groups won't WANT to be unemployed. This leaves them with just one choice. They've got to go back in to the shadows from whence they came. After they do a little re-inventing, they'll be back. Hating the United States is big business, and they know it. Their success gave them a certain standing with the American media, which allowed them to operate in the open. Now that the old business model is broken, its time to go back to the drawing board. Once they do this, they'll be back in ways that'll scare you.

Al Qeada is being hunted to the edge of extinction. If nothing else, its becoming too expensive for them to operate as they do now. Their leadership has to change with the times, or they face ruin. From their point of view, there's too much money involved to justify resisting these changes. New recruits are easy to get, and the money they make is nearly untraceable. HAMAS is about to become a political party. Their again, the leadership faces the loss of untracked billions if they just go with the flow. Political parties are corrupt, but they are also answerable (in some measure) to the governments they inhabit. If they don't change their organization names and come up with new ways of doing things, men like Osama Bin Landen risk becoming irrelavant.

Sounds impossible? Consider this. Yasir Arafat refused to change. Neither he nor his organization (the PLO) adapted to the aftermath of a post-Soviet world. The events of 9/11 proved that at least one man and one group understood the need for change, as it related to their cash flow. The American press would like to foster the myth that Bin Laden lives in a cave. People like him with access to untracked money live where they please. Its not a stretch. Groups like HAMAS and Al Qeada have been re-inventing themselves to some degree for centuries. The next 'evolution' for them seems rather obvious.

The New Terrorism

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to know how trans-national terrorism will take root in this country. A handful of organizations are already here and growing. If you're a news junky, you've heard about them on the radio or seen programs about them on t.v. The media calls them ethnic street gangs with overseas connections. In truth, many are actually fledgling terrorist groups that operate with impunity under the watchful eye of the U.S. Government.

Mara Salvatrucha [MS-13] has been called a Hispanic street gang with well-developed overseas connections. This group originated in El Salvador. It has a chain of command that starts in its parent country and sprawls across the Continental U.S. The organization is just now becoming sophisticated enough to create hidden cells. A 'cell' is a small but dedicated group that hides from public view. They are well trained, properly funded, and capably lead.

As part of their insurgent-oriented training, they are taught the importance of avoiding media scrutiny. Before they can begin making and using car bombs, or putting armed fighters in the field, they must first complete their growth/evolution. To this end, they are learning how to recruit and train new members. They are also learning how to control money and gather intelligence.

These are tasks that most home-grown street gangs have mastered after just ten years. Gangs with overseas origins have several obstacles to overcome before they can attain this basic level of operation. American culture, the English language, and our domestic law enforcement all pose major problems for these groups and their anti-American agendas. Even so, they aren't being stopped. We are now seeing indications that these barriers are no longer effective. By the end of this decade, groups like MS-13 may be sufficiently developed to begin their reign of terror on our soil.

It has been said that you should never underestimate the power of intent. The media has provided us with many examples of the 'intent' espoused by these so-called gangs and their overseas benefactors. They actively advocate anti-American agendas that involve the use of force. In many respects, they see themselves as modern Crusaders. They acknowledge the fact that the U.S. Government knows about them...and does nothing.

In spite of the future threat these groups pose, their numbers are small. The Federal bureaucracy has a hard time confronting small groups. Today's departments and agencies have their sights set on larger threats like Al Qaeda and the various Palestinian terror groups. Viewed from the top, this problem appears to be "a local matter," or "not important enough yet."

Trans-national terrorism is just what its name implies. terrorism that crosses borders. In this case, we'll be facing deeply dug-in forces that take their orders from people outside this country. With large cash reserves and pre-positioned assets, they'll be able to pursue their agendas inside the framework of our own legal system. The weapons they choose will be dictated by their assessment of our weaknesses. Turning us against each other might not be as hard as you think.

With so much known to us about these threats, we should be more concerned than we are about the Federal government's lack of a response. Why are we counseled to be afraid when we should be told be to brave? Why are we told to be docile and wait for government help when we should be told to remain on guard? Do our elected leaders intend to exploit terrorism for their own gain?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Of course they exploit terrorism.

They, of the government body, or the elitists, if you will... want us to be afraid of the boogeyman. Plain and simple. They are hoping like hell that we will be willing to "give up our freedoms and liberties to obtain a false sense of security.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
They?
Are you refering to all the previous governments, or just the one in power now?

because I cannot remmeber a time in my history when a government has EXPLOITED the 'foreign' terrorist card to this extent.

There was always an 'enemy' IE Russia, Nazi's, Commies or something.. but terrorists?

The most blatant form of exploitation was in 2002/2003.
I remember speficailly on CNN, a photo of a US Patriot missle being setup in DC

Because the US governemnt had 'clear' intellegence that IRAQ Was intending to launch a 'pre-emptive' strike at DC interests.
So they deployed missle defense in DC.
I am searching for a news article, but cannot find one yet.

I wouldnt call this EXPLOITING, being there was clearly no evidence becuase there was no missle threat.

So making up complete bunk, to EXPLOIT it?
yeah thats down right definate.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
They?
Are you refering to all the previous governments, or just the one in power now?

This government, absolutely. The past governments? I'm sure there were some that had something to do with it. I don't know for sure, but I'm just guessing.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Without a doubt, the Bush43 administration has been the most daring in its exploitation of threats of forieng origin. Having said that, I do have to admit that it's been done before. Just not to this extent. As outlined in The Shape Of Things To Come, I do think the trend that I outlined shows that we will see more and more of this exploitation by future Presidents.

Every sitting President who sheparded the nation through the Cold War did to some extent exploit the crisis. Woodroe Wilson exploited exploited World War One, as did FDR when it came to WW2. Trueman got the most he could out of Korea, and several Presidents milked Vietnam for all it was worth. the new wrinkly I'm most interested here is the precise categorization and use of terrorism.

Wars come and go, but the implied threat of trans-national terrorism can exist for as long as our leaers say that it does. Once we begin to experience foriegn-backed terror cells acting openly and violently on American soil, who's to say that the 'threat' ever goes away at all? Future generations of law-abiding taxpayers could be victimized by both real and imaginary enemies of the State for as long as it is convenient for the elites to promulgate the hoax.

Don't misunderstand me. Trans-national terror is very real, and I'm careful to posit my thoughts on in here. My concern is that our lleaders may not be able to resist scaring us into compliance even after the threat has diminished...assuming...that they take the necessary competent steps to make sure that it goes away. The KGB was known to allow dissidents to go un-jailed so that they wouldn't be out of a job. Can we be so sure that the legions of bureaucrats in the Department of Homeland Security wouldn't do the same for the sake of their own agendas and paychecks?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Im more worried, about weather they will STOP future terrorism, if they know it is impending.

Forgetting about Iran,

and attack on the USA by foreign terrorists would give bush's crusaude a bit more worth, it would almost backup what he has been saying.

So there's really two frames of mind.

1. Bush missed stopping sept 11
2. Bush purposley ignored intellegence about sept 11

Youve got to ask yourself,

Is bush so occupied on IRAQ, that he wont see 'another' attack coming
or being Iraq is going to badly
will he allow another attack, to prove the terrorist threat is real, and needs to be addressed.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Like many other people, I would like to think we are the victims of bad leadership just now. Even so, you've got to admit that Bush's stubborn insistence on clinging to this war like it was 'his' has given a huge shot in the arm to the movement to make the Federal government much more powerful. Anyone who thinks we're going to see a repeal of the Military Commissions Act and other such laws (any time soon) is just kidding themselves. I'm not sure that our leaders today can resist the temptations laid out before them due to so much power being so easily grasped...and used.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
In an effort to spark a larger discussion, I'd like to bring this topic to your attention. I'm not the only one who talks about the stealthy legislation that's being carried out by the people in government who want more power. I submit this link for your consideration.

[edit on 21-2-2007 by Justin Oldham]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's being reported that a Justice Department audit has discovered an unusual "clerical error" made by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Seems that the FBI has under-reported the total number of time it has used the USA Patriot Act to get American businesses to turn over customer information in cases that might involve terrorism.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions, but one thing seems clear. This was no mistake. In an agency that facilitates a multi-level reporting process, this was a deliberate coverup. Numberic discrepencies are one thing, but this was an active attempt to hide the truth about what could turn out to be a policy of bullying and coersion.

I can think of no better example of an actual exploitation. Federal officials inside the FBI have clearly attempted to use the threat of terrorism to their advantage. There's only one reason to under-report. The Justice Department isn't saying what the actual numbers are, but I'm certain we wouldn't like it if we knew just how often this law enforcement agency was demanding sensetive records for U.S. entrepreneurs.

How many agencies are under-reporting their 'use' of post 9-11 laws? If this story dries up as I suspect it will, we should be able to guess at the terrible truth.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   

1. Bush missed stopping sept 11
2. Bush purposley ignored intellegence about sept 11

You forget 3. Bush administration ENGINEERED sept 11, truth or not, 35% of the american people think it, and 90% know that the official story is complete bunk.

IMO, september 11 was an inside job, used as it's maximum to crackdown on americans and the world's population. Of course they exploit terrorism, they create most of it in the first place. Poverty, double-agents, funding, training, material even education. The CIA and the School of the Americas in Georgia which train people from all over the world how to start militias, take over a country, create terrorism... is not there for nothing.

More groups will be engineered but at one point (soon) and I agree with you Justin, some real groups from patriots or domestic extremists will take arms for the constitution, for rights, for religious beliefs... but you wouldn't have those ``terrorists groups`` if the government wouldn't have done all they did in the previous decennies to the world's population and that is enslaving them by economic or judicial means.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure, but I think you posted your reply in to the wrong thread. If you wandered in here by accident, I can have somebody take you back to the main gate.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Of Couse!

Terrorism evolved as a form of warfare. Like all of war, the goal of terrorism is to achieve Political Objectives throught the use of viloence. Do Politicaon use war to achieve political objectives? You Better Believe They Do!

It's used on both side. Playing the victim can sometime do more for your cuase then being the agressor.

Tim

P.S. Justin, your insights are a bit scary. This is all the stuff people never think about.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You make a good point. As much as we may not like to consider the possibility, our leaders really do look at "crisis potential" as a good thing when they know they can get something out of it.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The most recent example of a successful terror bust has sparked new conversations on ATS about the Federal government's potential for exploiting terror. How real is it?

We should be grateful for the efforts and sacrifices of the many men and women who are employed by American law eforcement. At the same time,we need to be susupicious of politicians who tell us that we need more laws instead of greater enforcement of what's already on the books.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Fallout from the JFK terror plot continues to rain down on us, even as more details emerge about the plot and the people who masterminded it. We've seen something of a running gun battle here on ATS. Some see this as a government plot. Others view it as nothing more than a successful anti-terror operation.

I'm glad that our men and women in law enforcement got a lock on this and stopped it before it went too far. It's altogether possible that what they stopped was just four old men who were talking big. then again, it could have turned in to something bigger, if they'd been allowed more time to study the problem.

The cold hard fact of the matter is that trans-national terror has come to america. Our failed foriegn policies have encouraged dissidents here at home to take up the fight in support of theological or ideological things going on overseas. that's my opinion, and I'm not afraid to defend it. I also think that these dark forces would have come to American, eventually. Not matter what we did.

Having said all this, I'm still concerned that our leaders may be tempted to exploit the honest efforts of our Fedeal and State law enforcement agencies. A hundred good people can do good things, only to have one politicians use that chain of good deeds as evidence that more laws and more money are necessary to save us from this growing problem.

This is a lot like, "support the troops, don't like the mission." When conspiracy theorists look at he JFK terror plot, they are enclined to say that it wouldn't have worked and that the conspirators were lured in to a Federal trap. As real as that possibility might one day be, I don't think its the case now. In so many of the recent cases, what we've actually seen are stupid people acting stupidly.

When President Bush gives his State of the Union speech in mid January of next year, he's going to point to the long list of terror plots that were foiled on his watch. He won't be wrong when he says that it's better to get to these things early on, rather than after the fact. When he calls for more law and more money, we'll need to pay close attention to what he's asking for.

We are already experiencing the excesses of hte Patriot Act. We know that we're more than capable of self-inflicted wounds. All I'm asking for now is that we be observant of what is about to come, and that we speak up whenever we think we see a politician giving in to the temptation to take advantage of this terror trend. Yes to protection, no to exploitation.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
With many regrets, I'm sorry to relate that a small slice of the news we've all been dreading has arrived. Check out this thread by another ATS member, who noticed the story before I did.

ABC News is reporting that, "Large teams of newly trained suicide bombers are being sent to the United States and Europe, according to evidence contained on a new videotape obtained by the Blotter on ABCNews.com."

This particular news item may turn out to be false, but it demonstrates just how "near" this threat is to us. If it doesn't happened now, it will happen later. Even with better management in D.C., it's unlikely that we will be able to avoid an outbreak of trans-national terror on our home soil. I choose to think of this as a pending test of our national will. The decisions that our leaders make as this crisis descends upon us will prove or disprove their loyalties to us.

We do expect our leaders to meet this threat with the full resources of the Federal and State governments. We don't expect our leaders to protect us by ushering us in to a totalitarian era.

[edit on 18-6-2007 by Justin Oldham]

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Is the bear catholic? Does the pope poop in the words?
It is so blatant I am surprised you ask.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I live in Alaska. We don't tend to ask bears about their religion. We shoot them. As for the Pope, he can do whatever he likes with his words in the privacy of his own Vati-can. All I ask is that he flush and wash before shaking hands.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In the wake of the Glasgow aiport attack, Americans from all walks of life are now asking themselves what it'll be like when that sort of thing begins to happen here in the U.S. As we watch the British government consider a wide range of measures intended to crack down on the extremist threat within their own population, we should all wonder what our own governments would be capable of.

As an American, I am still convinced that our leaders may uses each andevery crisis that comes to further increase the scope and scale of Federal authority. We may hope that the next President...whoever that is...will rescend some ofthe measuresthat Mr. bush has put into place, but thre is every likelihood that the new Prez will only add to the already considerable power of the Executive branch and the larger Federal government.

I note with some interest that politicians in Longdon and Washington ask for our compliance and our cooperation without asking either population to be particularly observant or brave. I'm pleased to see the British defiance of the Muslim terror. I am hopeful that our own people will refuse to knuckle under when the bombers begin to practive their heinous trade on American soil.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Greetings Justin Oldham!

This is my first time in your realm here, so theres much reading to be done. However I would like to add with this, that I really find your realm here to be quite interesting and enlightning

Back to the topic, Do US Politicians Exploit Terror?
Oh for sure they do, I dont even think I need to back that claim up with facts and background. I feel thats the unwritten truths about terror, and why terror started in the first place.
Politically I think terror is a great ploy to get people on "their" side of the fight.
Terror is a great way to make those around you feel unsafe. you then offer up some saftey in turn for rights and freedoms.. We are seeing this happening today!! If your saying to yourself, well where are the facts to back this claim up.. This isnt my specialty realm.. IM a little out of the water here, but know enough to know whats going on without hard cold facts to back me up here.. Over all my answer would be YES!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join