It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Projects Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Had a thought, the other day. (odd, I know).
Why is it that when Black aircraft projects go public, they are invariably winged craft. Why don't we see black project helicopter-type craft ?

Is there a "cool-factor" to the winged craft, so we just focus on these, or is there a reason that the majority of projects are winged ?

I'm no air historian, just a fan, so any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Lex

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The Comanche RAH, was the last publically admitted to rotor project in the "pipe line". After that was supposedly shelved, no other rotor based projects have been in the works. Other than of course some smaller scale spy UAVs, which from the direction things seem to be moving in, is the reason.

UAVs, UCAVs or any other unmanned alphabet combination, is the most probable reason, no further development for manned rotor craft have been conducted, or mentioned.

For the most part, no other nation/s can compete with US helos, and competition lays in the winged sector. Faster, higher flying and bigger payload/s are what the new craze is about.

Maybe someday, an "Airwolf" will be developed that rekindles the rotor based sector, but until then, expect the air trends to fluxuate with what is practical.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply !
So you're saying, that winged craft are more adapted to "stealth" applications, therefore, that's why we see them coming from the "black" ?

If so, I see your point. But, why not have un-manned helo-type craft ?
Would they be more difficult/uneconomical than winged craft ?

Thanks in advance,
Lex

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
But, why not have un-manned helo-type craft ?
Would they be more difficult/uneconomical than winged craft ?

there are unmanned helicopters, one of the biggest known is the Northrop Grumman FireScout.

But I cant think of any "black" ones.

Theres no point really. the recon ones are all going small. Theres no point to classify it, since it doesn't effect national security. While other black projects do impact national security....because the tech that is in the craft, is classified, and the US doesn't want it to fall into the hands of China or Russia.

Current black projects are likely staying black because of their propulsion method, and/or their stealth, whether that be Visual, Radar, IR, anything like that.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Yes, I agree with the Murcielago. A chopper doesn't contain any "classified" elements wich would give it the stamp "black project" basically because choppers aren't developed enough in a certain way, like planes are.

However I might be very wrong but there was this experimental chopper/plane, (vertical take off and landing) kind of like the V-22 a long time ago. It was called X-18. Now I can't say I'am sure if it was a black project, hardly, but it was defenetly an experimental one. Does anybody else know more about this project?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
As already stated, most black projects to be released are winged aircraft because most black projects are winged aircraft!

Although helicopters are often seen as the cooler alternative to planes due to their high maneuvoroubility etc. they have many limitations and alot of research has been put into developing a craft that has features of both, such as the cancelled Boeing X-50A.

Due to the way rotors make lift the craft that use them have their speed limited to a low velocity when compared with winged jet craft.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I think the reason for the predominance of fixed-wing aircraft is that given current technology, fixed wing designs are more versital! Think about it, fixed wing aircraft usually out class helicopters in the following areas:

Size- I've never heard of a helicopers anywhere near the size of a B-52, C-5, or E-3. Bigger means more payload

Speed- Heilcopter top speeds are in the area of 200mph . Fixed wing aircraft have reached Mach 6+ in research test.

Altitude- Fixed wings are more efficient at higher altitudes

Damage tolerence- A fixed wing aircraft has less of it's critical parts exposed to enemy fire. This allows it to absorb damage better in combat.

Tim

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Most Black Projects tend to be pushing the extremes of aviation in one form or another - faster, higher, stealthier, etc.... These are all areas that are outside the flight envelope of almost everything but winged aircraft.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I appreciate all the responses !!
All are well thought out, and now, obvious to me.

I just get odd thoughts, now and then, and this was one of them.

Again, thanks.
Lex

new topics

top topics

join