It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinians Can't Agree on Truce Offer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:05 AM
link   
CAIRO, Egypt - Palestinians failed to agree on a truce offer to Israel on Sunday after three days of talks, setting back the Palestinian prime minister's hopes for a halt in violence to jump start the stalled U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan.

Hamas and Islamic Jihad, which have carried out most suicide attacks against Israel, resisted intense pressure from Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia and the top Egyptian mediator and refused a full cease-fire.

The two groups would agree only to a limited truce, ending attacks on civilians in Israel but not on Jewish settlers or Israeli soldiers in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Israel said it would accept only a comprehensive halt. "There's no half-way cease-fire," said Raanan Gissin, a spokesman for Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. He said Israel is willing to stop shooting if there was a total Palestinian truce.

An official from Islamic Jihad and other Palestinian delegates said a further meeting was planned but no date for it was set.

Egypt had called together the Palestinian factions � more than a dozen, ranging from Yasser Arafat Fatah movement to the Islamic groups and smaller leftist movements � in hopes of producing a halt to all attacks. Egyptian Intelligence Chief Gen. Omar Suleiman wanted to present the truce to Washington next week in a broad proposal that could win U.S. backing and put pressure on Israel.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20031208/ap_on_re_mi_ea/palestinian_talks&cid=540&ncid=716" target="_blank" class="postlink">Rest on the Article

Ok for all the Iseral HATERS!

Look at your #EN allies!

They are the ones who do NOT want PEACE with Iseral!!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Also look at your Allies who TRAIN LITTLE KIDS WITH WEAPONS!!!

And you people say its the Iserals fault.

Atleast I dont see any Iseral kids with suicide bombs!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:10 AM
link   
all i can say is that both sides are bad.

this shyte is never gonna end
:fl ame:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Also so much for your peaceful old ladies!!!

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by Russian]

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   

A youngster looks on as members of The Al-Aqsa brigade, an armed group linked to Yasser Arafat

Now wer need to get ride of this ugly #er!

Islamic Jihad armed militants. While retaining the 'right' to attack soldiers and settlers in the occupied territories, Hamas and Islamic Jihad would back a halt to suicide bombings in Israel.

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by Russian]

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:41 AM
link   
ohh man....

that old lady pic is hilarious!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
ohh man....

that old lady pic is hilarious!!!!!!!!

Peaceful ha???!

that bitch should be in the front line when war comes.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
somehow........

i dont think they could shoot much better then the somalies

if you catch my drift russian

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
somehow........

i dont think they could shoot much better then the somalies

if you catch my drift russian

point taken!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
"Hamas Official Says Suicide Attacks to Resume"
Link:
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20031208/wl_nm/mideast_hamas_dc

Excerpt:
"GAZA (Reuters) - A top official of Islamic group Hamas said Monday the recent lull in Palestinian militant suicide attacks against Israel was just a break between waves.

"The martyrdom operations come as waves so there are gaps between the waves," Hamas chief spokesman Abdel-Aziz al-Rantissi told Reuters in an interview. "We are just in the period of a gap between waves."

In response.....I guess this was inevitable, eh?

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Unfortunately there is not a single cohesive power in the palestinian zone. I fear that, without a solid leader, they may never be able to come to a solution. The only way they will ever agree is to agree on their leadership 1st. It is really too bad because a lot of innocent people are going to die because no one wants to compromise or give up their limited sphere of power. There will not be much left for any of them, including the Israelis, in the end.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
But lurking, there is a good side to the Palastinians not having a strong leader. It makes the potential for a civil war more realistic. In that case the world can watch them blow themselves to bits for a change....

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If Israel would give back what it stole in 1967, there would be truce. I would fight invaders of my land too.
One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stirfry
If Israel would give back what it stole in 1967, there would be truce. I would fight invaders of my land too.

So USA should GIVE UP America to NATIVE INDIANAS???

Then most of the coutries would be either Catholic of Islam.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:17 AM
link   

It's easy to think that if you assume that all they're fighting for is the "liberation" of the disputed territories in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank. They're not. These terrorist organizations were all organized with one goal: to destroy the state of Israel.

That's why every time there is a peace agreement that could end the violence and lead to a second Palestinian state, the violence increases. Hamas, Fatah, and these other organizations don't want that to happen. If it were to happen, they would lose all sympathy for a continued struggle.

I'm all for peace between the Palestinian-Arabs and the Israelis. I also think that the only way to accomplish that is to destroy the terrorist organizations that prevent it.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Russian,

good pictures, every picture is a 1000 words.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Well whats new on this i cant believe that these 2 countries have been fighting all these years for a piece of land.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft

It's easy to think that if you assume that all they're fighting for is the "liberation" of the disputed territories in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank. They're not. These terrorist organizations were all organized with one goal: to destroy the state of Israel.

For some reason, I think it's the other way 'round
www.palestinemonitor.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mycroft

ok what do you see wrong with that link?

its a palisyine link.

so therefore it will be for palistine!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Yes, there are plenty of sites critical of Israel on the net. They all mention how hard life is for the Palestinian-Arabs while downplaying the role their own leadership has played in creating and perpetuating these miserable conditions. They criticize every measure Israel takes in self-defense without suggesting any alternative methods.

That particular article in your link mentions a group of Palestinian-Arabs that were transferred to the Gaza Strip. It goes on about the hardship they suffer for this, but nowhere is it mentioned why they were moved. Do you think Israel just picked 12 Palestinian-Arabs at random for this treatment?

Here, check out the rules and principles of Fateh, in their own words:

www.fateh.net...

Pay special attention to articles 2,6,12,17,18 and 22. These are the ones that specificly mention their desire to destroy Israel and their rejection of peaceful resolutions to the conflict.

Are the lives of the Palestinian-Arabs miserable? Yes. Should things be done to improve them? Yes. Should they have their own nation with autonomous political control? I think so. The difference between you and I is that I recognize that the Palestinian-Arabs have to play a roll in this process before it can ever work.

The old saying It takes two to tango was coined by grade school teachers who couldn't tell which student started a fight. It implies that it takes two to start a fight and keep it going. The truth is the real world doesn't work like that. In the real world, anybody can start a fight, but it takes the cooperation of everyone to make peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join