It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Vikings sign CB Fred Smoot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Fred Smoot agreed to terms on a contract Tuesday with the Minnesota Vikings, sending the top cornerback on the free agent market to a team that has had persistent defensive problems.

Smoot had 16 interceptions over five seasons with the Washington Redskins and was selected as an alternate to the Pro Bowl last year.

Smoot forms a quality tandem at cornerback with Antoine Winfield, who was Minnesota's top free agent signee last season.

www.sportsline.com...

Smoot is a good corner, he should help some of Minnesota's defensive woes.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
and with winfield already in the secondary,it makes it that much more danergous of a secondary

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Yeah, the defensive woes are starting to go away in the land of the Vikes.

I'm sad to see Smoot go, as is the real Gibbs, I believe. I read a quate earlier this year where he said that the redskins wouldn't be able to match his salary demands, but hoped that Fred gets everything that he's asking for.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I am so imopressed with the Vikings this offseason, we have spent our money well so far, and now since Moss is traded away to Oakland, and the additions of Pat Williams, Fred Smoot, and Napolean Harris, our defensive is pushing to finally be in the top half of the league for total defense.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jo3yB
I am so imopressed with the Vikings this offseason, we have spent our money well so far, and now since Moss is traded away to Oakland, and the additions of Pat Williams, Fred Smoot, and Napolean Harris, our defensive is pushing to finally be in the top half of the league for total defense.

Not to mention your two first-round draft picks.

They have the #7 overall pick and the #18 pick in the first round.

Draft tracker - www.sportsline.com...

Vikings off-season strategy - www.sportsline.com...

[Edited on 3-9-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Yeah, early to say, but look for them to win thier division.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The Minnesota Vikings signed veteran safety Darren Sharper to a four-year contract on Saturday.

Sharper, cut by the Green Bay Packers in a cost-cutting move earlier this week, started at free safety the last six seasons and ranks fifth in team history with 36 interceptions. He led the team with four interceptions last year and scored three defensive touchdowns.

The Packers tried to get Sharper to restructure his deal, but he balked at a pay cut, hoping he could make more on the open market than the approximately $2 million Green Bay was offering for 2005.

The Vikings were only too happy to have him fall into their laps.

cbs.sportsline.com...

The Vikings have been very active so far this off-season, they've bolstered their defense and unloaded the problematic Moss.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The Vikings are also apparently courting Plaxico Burress.

I think the Vikings are doing all the right things so far, they're also interested in Jacksonville's safety Donovan Darius.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I guess getting rid of Moss gave then a lot of cap room?

If not, why did they wait so long to make moves like this?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I dont know but whatever they're thinking was, it has seemed to work. And all of this activity in the midst of an owner change.

Keep in mind the 2 first-round draft picks they have in April's draft, including the #7 overall pick from the Raiders.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What's the latest on Tice? Is he going to just be reprimanded, or will they fire him outright?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The Minnesota Vikings agreed to terms Tuesday on a two-year contract with free agent receiver Travis Taylor, who was a disappointment in his five seasons in Baltimore.

Taylor was drafted 10th overall out of Florida in 2000, but was never able to duplicate with the Ravens the success he had in Steve Spurrier's pass-happy offense. Taylor's best season came in 2002 when he caught 61 passes for 869 yards and six touchdowns in 15 starts. Last year, he had 34 receptions for 421 yards.

Taylor played with eight different starting quarterbacks in his five years -- Elvis Grbac, Randall Cunningham, Tony Banks, Trent Dilfer, Anthony Wright, Jeff Blake, Chris Redman and Kyle Boller.

www.sportsline.com...

This kid was highly touted coming out of college but has been a major bust. With a QB like Culpepper, we should find out if he truly is a bust or if he has been a victim of an almost non-existent passing game in Baltimore.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Should be a good pickup, but then again, didnt they get Robinson from the Ravens last season? He didn't pan out all that well form what I remember.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Should be a good pickup, but then again, didnt they get Robinson from the Ravens last season? He didn't pan out all that well form what I remember.

Yeah, they did get big Marcus Robinson from Baltimore. When he was healthy, he was pretty good. He did have 8 touchdowns. He had nagging hammy problems most of last season.

top topics

join