It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest Catfish i've ever seen..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
A british man has caught an eight foot long, 226 pound catfish..

Linky

Is this for real? That's got to be the biggest fish i've ever seen!

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It appears to be genuinely real. However it can be duped! But what a fascinating find their. Could be natures grotesque mutilated fish from biochemical or radioactive invtervention. Personally I would not want to touch it or step within a hundred feet of it without a biochemical space suit on and darth vader-like mask to protect me from possible toxins. I'd snap a picture and burn it.

7A

[edit on 24-11-2006 by 7Ayreon]

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Thats a whopper alrighty kojac. Good eatin with some hushpuppies and cornbread. But check this one out. All 646lbs of it.

Posted back in 2005 by Wyrdeone

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
My god. 646 pounds? I stand corrected.

Catfish obviously grow pretty darn big then. I remember seeing pics like this i thought fake.

They grow this big naturally?

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Doesnt look like just a normal catfish to me. Where are the tail fin? Looks like some nasty creature to me, half catfish and half eel. No way i would eat it or touch it, catfish taste like mud

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Yep Mekong Catfish have repeatedly been caught at the 500lb + size. Scary aint it. I know for a fact i wont be doin any skinny dippin in the mekong delta ever again.(Not like ive ever been there to do it)

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Wonder if they let it go ? would be a few hundred years old that one and probably a prolific breeder.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Whoa, those guys have got a mighty catch there.

This is my favorite giant catfish pic, even though it doesn't beat either of yours in size or weight.
z.about.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
As a child growing up in Jacksonville, we caught 100+ lbs. catfish in the Intra-Coastal waterway regularly. Talk about a chore to skin ! But, loved the eats.

Lex

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
Wonder if they let it go ? would be a few hundred years old that one and probably a prolific breeder.

Yep they let it go...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Remind me not to go swimming in that river either.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by cuda
No way i would eat it or touch it, catfish taste like mud

So... you'd rather eat mud than catfish? Exactly how do you know what mud tastes like?

That's a real catfish, called a Mekong Catfish. The live in teh Mekong River and grow so large due to the nutrient-laden silt and mud flowing in. They get huge.

They even eat babies.

Okay, maybe not that last part.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I heard down in kentucky lake close to the dam there are catfish that are the size of a small school bus, Some researchers went diving there to do some research, they came right back up sacred to death saying they seen catfish so big they couldnt move. they just sit at the bottom of that dam lol.. It made the local news here yrs ago, rather its true or not who knows

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   
My favorite show wild boys show chris and steveo holding up a live catfish and it was pretty huge

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Heres a video that shows the same catfish in your pic

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I wanna say this one is 6 foot maybe 8 the diver pets it so you can get some kind of idea of its size

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Thats a good find! I didn't know catfish got that big!

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoXiSo
I heard down in kentucky lake close to the dam there are catfish that are the size of a small school bus, It made the local news here yrs ago, rather its true or not who knows

This story has many variations and can be quite fascinating, too bad it's an urban legend. Check it out:

Snopes: Giant Catfish.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There's a river called the Trinity river here in Texas...that is rumored to have some big,big fish in it.

Anyway, the story is that years and years ago,when the state first put a bridge between Trinity,Texas and Riverside, the first crew they sent down to do the job refused to do it. When asked why. Several of the workers reported that there were fish laying on the river bottom the size of volks wagons. I don't know how true it is, but that is the story.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have seen many large catfish in the Amazon but I believe the Mekong catfish are thus far the record holders. In the Amazon the pirarucu is one of the worlds largest fresh water fish. 2 meters long is common. The scales are so large and rough that the natives use them as sandpaper. Each scale is about 2.5 inches in diameter. It is such an important fish there that it's native history has made it a fish of legends.

www.sumauma.net...

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Mekong and Amazon catfish (Any tropical variety really) get just gigantic. I saw a picture of guys trying to row their two seater rowboat somewhere in southern asia with a catfish so large the boat was almost capsizing. Sturgeon get rediculusly large too. I think they are both like snakes where as they don't have any real gene to stop their growth. Alligators have the same thing too. The more they eat the bigger. Tropical rivers must have some seriously nutritious run off cause what ever is in the water over there makes them huge..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join