It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial youth camp disbanded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Organizers of an evangelical summer camp for children featured in the documentary "Jesus Camp" are discontinuing the camp because of negative reaction sparked by the film and recent vandalism at the camp site in Devils Lake, N. D.

"We have decided to hold different activities in future," Pentecostal pastor and camp organizer Becky Fischer said.

Fischer was the central figure in "Jesus Camp," a documentary about Pentecostal evangelical Christians, some of whom send their children to summer camp where they pray, "speak in tongues" and are urged to campaign against abortion.

Sending your child to Bible school is one thing. Sending them to a Christian boot camp with a political bend is quite another. It is disheartening to think that training children to adopt an activist mantra is acceptable at any level.

Here is additional info on both the camp and documentary:

"Jesus Camp" discontinued.
"Jesus Camp" wikipedia
"Jesus Camp" documentary

Please note that disgraced evangelical leader Ted Haggard is prominently featured in the film.

posted on Nov, 8 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
That is exactly how the Christian and Catholic religion is mind control. Now the Bible is right BUT BUT BUT Christians interpret the Bible so damn wrong that it isn't even funny. Yeah. So I believe part of the bible but Christiantity is pure MC. The closest thing to the truth is a combination of Juedaism(spelling) and Scientology. Combine those and you get the truth. Jesus was a great teacher but Christians are doing EXACTLY what the Bible says NOT to do. Worshipping an Idol. Dumb. So fricken dumb.

And God is not a He either. It is an It. How do you think It created Males and Females? Sorry just a little rant o'Truth. Maybe some Trutho'theIrish. lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

Organizers of an evangelical summer camp for children featured in the documentary "Jesus Camp" are discontinuing the camp because of negative reaction sparked by the film and recent vandalism at the camp site in Devils Lake, N. D.

A Christian camp in a place called Devil's Lake? Hmmmm

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
No kidding.

The irony.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
No kidding.

The irony.

Imagine that,eh...

No,really,most true Christians are good people,but the people represented at the "camp" were rather deplorable.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I haven't seen the documentary but based on the post I don't see too much of a problem with it. Prayer is of course essential to Christianity, speaking in tongues is grounded in Christianity and is essential to Pentecostals, and true Christians are opposed to abortion, which is the taking of an innocent life. What you're interpreting as a "political agenda" is, in fact, merely Christians trying their best to do what's right, even as others label them as fanatics.

[sarcasm]On the other hand, I agree. We certainly don't need to train kids to be adamant about righteousness.[/sarcasm]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
I haven't seen the documentary but based on the post I don't see too much of a problem with it. Prayer is of course essential to Christianity, speaking in tongues is grounded in Christianity and is essential to Pentecostals, and true Christians are opposed to abortion, which is the taking of an innocent life. What you're interpreting as a "political agenda" is, in fact, merely Christians trying their best to do what's right, even as others label them as fanatics.

[
I posted a link to the video here... "Jesus camp"

You can watch the full video and decide for yourself.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I saw the link and the other thread, but one of the negative aspects of being "home for the holidays" is dial-up. No videos for me for awhile . . .

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I had no idea that they shut it down. I watched the video and to me it looked like they were brainwashing these children. Children should have thier right to decide what type of religion that they want to practive if any. I group up in a Catholic family and I chose to take a different path instead of being a Catholic. When I told my mother that I didn't believe in God she said that was fine with her and my mother was a very devoted Catholic women.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
you would of thought they would of pt the camp somewhere other than devils lake really

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The scary part, they will be back........One way or another they will be back!

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreWithin
The scary part, they will be back........One way or another they will be back!

or they'll just relocate to a less ironic area, step up the rhetoric and speed up the indoctrination to keep up with the backlash against their own backlash

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I feel so bad for those children, they're obviously still with parents that believe that bull#, and these children are still being brainwashed even without the jesus camp.

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by norbin
I feel so bad for those children, they're obviously still with parents that believe that bull#, and these children are still being brainwashed even without the jesus camp.

yeah, just watch the video and you'll see the types of videos these kids have to watch and the rhetoric they learn in home "schooling"

top topics

join