It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda Photos and the War in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The war with Iraq has been covered from the start by more media than any other war in history. I am just astonsished though by the lack of real content of the covered stories.

I mean, what do the Iraqi people really think of us? How many interviews with normal Iraqis have been conducted, in which they voice their frustrations or complaints?

Or, how bout this.....

www.infowars.com...

What does the world think when they see images such as this, but these same images are not shown in the USA, for the obvious reasons?

What I want, is to really know WHAT is happening there, not just what the major American media find to be newsworthy.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It's pretty bad when they have to search a four-year-old for bombs. It's no wonder the US is hated by just about everybody.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Did'nt infants walk around with grenades in thier pants and walked up to US soldiers in Vietnam?

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 08:23 AM
link   
You have no conception at how nervous these soldiers are. They are fighting an enemy that has no problem killing its own wife and children in order to achieve an end. Just because an Iraqi WOMAN is expected to be nonthreatening doesn't mean she will be. In palestine female suicide bombers are a rapidly growing problem, and have caused Israeli security to go differently about things. Patriot had it right, children can be walking bombs as well. All one of these children has to do is carry a grenade in its pocket, and pull the pin. And why? All because their mother and father told them to when they get close to a US soldier.

Remember that just because a story comes from overseas doesn't mean that its the gospel truth. Have you seen a London Tabloid? I suggest that you think a little about why we would be taking the time and energy to tie this people up if we didn't have a damn good reason. Our soldiers aren't monsters, no matter how much you may want them to be.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I was in no way trying no imply that our soldiers are
monsters
, and am sorry if I made it sound that way. I was a soldier myself for 5 years.

I was only showing an example of the differences of stories coming from the region that we are currently involved in.

Our soldiers aren't monsters, no matter how much you may want them to be.

This was a bit too harsh. Sorry if I made in come off that way.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Regardless of the reasons, if I were a child being patted down and my hands bound together, I'd probably grow up itching for revenge. I've never been in combat, nor would I put myself in such a position, so I can understand how difficult it must be for the soldiers. I just don't think these children have that same understanding.

nathraq is correct in saying that the media doesn't present all of the information. I'd like to know the whole story myself, nathraq.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Sorry if I was a little overaggressive. I'm just getting sick of people saying that the overseas media is the be all and end all, evryone has their angle

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
like it as been said..it sorta sad that it has had to come down to what is pictured..searching and tying up children and women. this is not a comment about anyone on the thread but, towards the non-american public...and to some of those weirdos in the U.S. why is it that our soldiers are looked at as the monsters..we bend over backwards to avoid civilian casualties..so much so that we hinder our chances for success. we are the ones going the extra mile and more to avoid casualities even at the expense of our own troop casualties. but the poor good guys in this senerio are the ones who target and kill civilians, kids, children and anybody who is not a soldier.
it like the whole muslim community say that 'suicide bombings' are ok..since we can't gather together and fight, we will kill the innocent to vent our frustrations. does it get them anywhere...no. if they think that a random bombing here and there is going to cause the u.s. to withdraw. the are more stupid and ignorant about the reality of what can happen the previously thought. they had a chance to keep us out and now that we are there..we are there to stay...they only have thier own complancency about their former govt, civil inaction and of sadum to thank for the situation......
semper fi

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
uum, try rewinding that image...possibly the soldiers are taking the ties OFF their hands? just a thought.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I agree. Lets not jump to conclusions too quickly here. Just my personal observation, but it seems like the site link above "Infowars" seems to be a highly alarmist site, and that is just one perspective on stuff. Their perspective is basically "everything related to our govt. is suspect, don't trust anything or anyone, blah blah blah." I was watching one of the teasers on their site, and I was just literally blown away. They were talking about 911 as if our Govt. caused it, but they only gave de-contextualized, circumstancial evidence to substanciate it. But they spoke of it like it was a fact! Follow the money. Usually with stuff like this, if there is profit to be made, the stuff put forth shouldn't be completely trusted. Anyway, just my .02.

Originally posted by Shaydon
uum, try rewinding that image...possibly the soldiers are taking the ties OFF their hands? just a thought.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You can not blame the soldiers for doing those things. Anyone could be carring a weapon. It does not matter if they are old or young, man or women. I thought that people would have learned that a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Violence, sadly, is universal. Anything mobile is now a weapons platform

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
I mean, what do the Iraqi people really think of us? How many interviews with normal Iraqis have been conducted, in which they voice their frustrations or complaints?

I've seen numerous interviews with normal Iraqis voicing their frustrations and complaints. Then again, I live in the free world, not the US.

You think you got it bad now? I saw a BBC report a couple of days ago concerning the fact that the US news media will be cutting back even more on what kind of reports are allowed out of Iraq.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
I'm just getting sick of people saying that the overseas media is the be all and end all, evryone has their angle

It's not the be all and end all, but overall it gives a damn sight more honest and unbiased perspective than your own media.

One quick example. For the last 3 or 4 days, a major story over here both in the printed press and on TV, has been the anti-Bush campaign gearing up for his visit to the UK this week. They expect something like 20,000 demonstrators to turn up in protest against Bush. There have been numerous interviews on TV with people sitting both sides of the 'Bush' fence. Every news broadcast seems to feature a piece about these upcoming protests and the fact that 50% of UK citizens don't even want Bush in the country. There is even an American ex-pat organisation asking UK citizens to protest against him!

How much of that has your media reported?

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
You have no conception at how nervous these soldiers are

So how does that explain that none of the other Military nationalites present in the country have had to take such action in exactly the same situations?

Your troops create their own problems because they just don't know how to handle such situations, thus go in heavy-handed and over the top, the end result of which is a nation that resents and hates you, and will continue to happily kill your troops in an effort to rid their country of you.

Your army's total inexperience and utter over-reaction in dealing with the civillian population in these situations is 100% counter-productive.

You use brute-force against these people, they get a little bit pissed off and have very long memories and itchy trigger-fingers. You start using brute-force against their families...........don't go acting suprised when they REALLY get mad.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. "How can you kill women and children?" , "Easy, dont lead'em as much"

I wouldnt trust a 4 year old either. Kill'em all.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Think about the state of mind you have to be in to be a suicide bomber.

top topics

join