It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbology or Symbolism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This is not really a rant, becuase I am not angry about it.

I just think that people should look up the words symbology and symbolism in the dictionary. Then they should try to choose the proper word when they make their posts.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Remember, English is a second language for many on this board....

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You wouldn't be referring to me would ya greenkoolaid?
If so..I admit, I thought they were the same basic meaning. I don't get much sleep so therefore when I post I rarely take extra time to look up words. Oh well sue me

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I am not referring to anybody in particular. I have seen both used properly and improperly.

Just something I have noticed recently.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What is the proper way to use both words/meanings? If you'd like *anybody* to use those words in the proper place..shouldn't you atleast inform them?
Thanks

[Edited on 11/10/03 by magestica]

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
You are right when you said you thought they had the same basic meaning, the difference is sublte.

I will give the dictionary definition for these 2 words:

symbology

noun

1. study of symbols: the study or interpretation of symbols

2. use of symbols: the use of symbols to represent things

symbolism

noun

1. use of symbols: the use of symbols to invest things with a representative meaning or to represent something abstract by something concrete

2. system of symbols: a set or system of symbols

3. symbolic meaning: symbolic meaning or quality

4. arts artistic use of symbols: the artistic method of revealing ideas or truths through the use of symbols

5. symbolism or Symbolism arts 19thC literary and artistic movement: a 19th century literary and artistic movement that sought to evoke, rather than describe, ideas or feelings through the use of symbolic images

6. christianity belief in symbolic nature of Eucharist: the belief that the bread and wine used in the Eucharist are symbols and not literally the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well....

symbology:

symbolism:

1. use of symbols: the use of symbols to invest things with a representative meaning or to represent something abstract by something concrete

Isn't this the same exact thing?

English is all about semantics...no need to let it get to ya...

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well....

symbology:

symbolism:

Isn't this the same exact thing?

English is all about semantics...no need to let it get to ya...

I take the symbology use of symbols as a more literal use of symbols, such as Hieroglyphics.

The use of 3s in Magesticas dreams could be an example of symbology, the 3 could represent the holy trinity for instance.

Other people may talk about the parallels between Arthur Miller's play the Crucible and the McCarthy hearings on communism. In this sense I would say the play uses symbolism rather than symbology.

[Edited on 11-11-2003 by greenkoolaid]

new topics

top topics

join