It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beginners Guide To BB Code on ATS & Other Forums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I have noticed in the last few months that some people are not sure how to use BB Code here or other places, so I guess since I am annoyed at it I will add some help here.

This is the best place for it right???

For this subject we are going to use and not use BB Code so I have to mess up the code so it don't work. In doing that I will add a space to it something like this.

[ ex]stuff[ /ex]

But when you go an actually do these codes you do not want to add a space.. just leave the spaces out and the code will work. Maybe I will get a mod/admin to help make this more presentable later on. But for now we will leave it like this..

Remember when actually adding code to ATS leave the spaces out.

Anyway lets start.

Images

Ok the 1st thing people like to do when proving a point is adding an image to whatever they are proving. So lets say I want to prove this image is fake here.

www.whatreallyhappened.com...

Instead of just adding it like that.. cause we know a lot of people are just to lazy to click it we will go ahead and make it able to be seen on here. There are 3 ways of pulling this off We will look at the 3 ways now.

1st way is adding an IM tag which will be shown here.

[ im]http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/wtc-7_1_.gif[ /im]

When you add the code, WITHOUT SPACES It will look like this.

Then we have the img tag, which I am not sure why ATS people did this cause it really makes no sense to use this code anymore but here it is..

Remember add WITHOUT SPACES

[ img]http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/wtc-7_1_.gif[ /img]

And it will look like this.

Or we can use this code here.

[ ats]http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/wtc-7_1_.gif[ /ats]

Which will look like this.

Quoting Someone on ATS that posted.

Ok now that we have that covered we will move on to quoting someone.

Most people usually quote one like this.

blablabla

But it really don't look that good and when doing this in the middle of a thread can be harsh on someone who doesn't want to read the whole thing. so we will make a quote from someone on ats the right way.

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
About a month ago, I started a thread analysing the only known photograph of the south face damage to WTC7:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A few of us concluded that the damage shown in the photo was the south west corner damage and not the massive hole alleged to be in the center of the south face which is mentioned in one or two eye witness accounts and in NIST's damage guesstimates based on those accounts. Immediately after, 911mthys.com and debunking911.com changed their articles on the photo to insist that the damage in the photo is indeed the hole in the center of the south face, perhaps in response to the thread here on ATS.

First here are the articles from the debunker sites:

Now as you see WCIP's name is up there saying Originally Posted By wecomeinpeace which makes it better than just saying quote and words..

Anyway here is how you do that.

In the top right hand corner of my post here you will see a quote button click that and then it will bring you to a post screen. after that you can quote WCIP like I just did. Now lets say you want to quote 1 part and say something about that once part.. then want to say something about another part this is what you do.

you start your post as normal. Then when you want to make your point about 1 part of this you just go and add a where you wanna make a point as shown here.

About a month ago, I started a thread analysing the only known photograph of the south face damage to WTC7:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

See how I broke it up here.. Now below here is the rest of his post that I would like to make a point on so what I will do is copy the [ quote][ i]Originally posted by wecomeinpeace then paste it on top of the rest of his post. Kinda like this so it will look just like his post was originally just cut up.

A few of us concluded that the damage shown in the photo was the south west corner damage and not the massive hole alleged to be in the center of the south face which is mentioned in one or two eye witness accounts and in NIST's damage guesstimates based on those accounts. Immediately after, 911mthys.com and debunking911.com changed their articles on the photo to insist that the damage in the photo is indeed the hole in the center of the south face, perhaps in response to the thread here on ATS.

See that wasn't to hard, this is good also when quoting many people in 1 post also.

Hyperlinks

I noticed alot of people adding links on here that are 300 miles long. I use a 1280x1024 screen so if it goes way out for me the hyperlink is to big.

I am going to show you how to make it smaller.

Ok say we want to make this link smaller..
www.dsgdgshgsdgsdgsdgdsgsd5gd6g5d67g5d7s6g5ds67g5d67gf5d67g5d7.com...

How we do that is look on top where you are typing a post at and you will see a little planet, click on that and then a pop up will appear stating what you want to call this link I would like to call it,

this link does not work

So I will put it in that box then click ok, then another box will appear and then ask what I would like to put for an address which will be the link above that is 3 miles long.

So after I hit ok the link will look like this after I hit post reply or new topic.

this link does not work

You will notice how much smaller it is and how big it isn't.

External Sources

Another part about proving you are right is using an external source. How we would do that is to add the white box around it and it will say External Source in it.

How we do that is really simple. Its almost like a quote but not as many letters.

Here is how we do that.

we add [ ex]Remember No Space[ /ex].

It will end up looking like this:

Remember No Space

Also when you add an external source to your work here on ATS, its also good to add a link there also so people can go look at the information you provide them.

Making a Point within a quote.

Ok we will grab WCIP's post above again for this one.. Say I want to point out something that isn't right in his post. I will use the bold code for that.

How I would do it is just go like this:

[ b]Without Spaces[ /b]

It will look like this

Without Spaces

So I will show you that in action here.

As you see the bold is where I would like to make my point.

End

Anyway I hope this helps some of you new people out there that will maybe need help with codes on here.

I did this as simple as I can because I am just cool like that.

Any other help with BB Code ask here or just message a mod or something.

Disclaimer:

I cant type for crap, so any grammer or mis spellings, sorry for that. But this will get the point across about BB Code.

[edit on 18/10/06 by JAK]

Zedd: Fixed title from Guild to Guide.

[edit on 18-10-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
One to add:

If your creating a thread on ATSNN or a thread on breaking news...

[news] [/news]

Which would look like this:

Great Thread!

ATS

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Always good to remember the link when using these tags. Only ATSNN or Breaking News!

A Moderator, UK Wizard, updated an older thread just recently with some of the same information & images.

Quote Reference

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
There is this as well: handbook.abovetopsecret.com...

Might help too.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Nice guide.

That should be come in handy for all.

[edit on 2006/10/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thanks guys.

Anything else you can add would be cool...

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
deleted by author

[edit on 2006/10/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
thank you , the more help the merrier, communication is good. thanks

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I used to help with tech chat on AOL about 300 yrs ago.. so I am used to helping SLOW... VERY SLOOWWW people out.. I figured I give it a try here..

Most of the code is in plain english and easy to understand.. anyway Thanks again for comments.

posted on Oct, 18 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Thanks guys.

Anything else you can add would be cool...

There's a couple of links in my signature with additional bbcode tips...(bb code tips, hyperlinking tutorial)

[edit on 10/18/2006 by Mechanic 32]

new topics

top topics

join