It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women Gets Ticket For Anti-Bush Bumper Sticker?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
Why not just cut her a ticket for whatever the reason for the stop was?

I don't think she was stopped for anything. I think he just ticketed her car (like a parking ticket). I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of the article.

And yes, WTH was this cop ticketing her for for a law that was overturned 16 years previous?

I still don't think she should sue due to the fact the ticket got overturned, but she does have a right to be pissed IMO.

And the officer should have to go to classes about CURRENT laws.

This happens all the time. When I was 17 in PA, there was a law that you could get a regular license instead of your cinderella license (can't drive after midnight) at 17 instead of 18 if you took driver safety courses and had no tickets etc. Our local cop argued up and down with me that I couldn't have a regular license. Eventually I proved him wrong!!!!!

Edit: In my line of work, I have to be up-to-date with the current codes and laws. I believe a cop should be held to the same standard.

[edit on 10/20/2006 by Griff]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This is somewhat off topic but it has to do with suing. There was once this teen who lived in his families dream home, nice cars and a fairly large lake. But one day when his parents were on vacation he had a party with alcohol. Of course there were people who got drunk and those people who were drunk drove back home and killed two kids of different families. Those parents sued the kid who threw the party for not 10,000 or 25,000 but an unreasonable 2 million dollars. Now before I go on I would like to state that 2 million is getting out of control. They should of sued in a more humane manner for 25-40 thousand. And they got what they want. The family who got sued had to sell everything like computers, cars, house, lake, tv, furniture. And they also had to use their entire retirement funds. Wow, how sick of those families to ruin the life of a kid who made a mistake and now he cant go to college because that money is gone. That family now lives in an apartment with practically nothing and no cars.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by wildcat]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I didn't realise Americans were so touchy about such things. A friend of mine walks around town with a 'JESUS IS A C***' t-shirt on and hasn't been hassled by the police. btw the asterisks are replaced with the letters on the t-shirt.

[edit on 29-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think it's a ridiculous example of officious self-importance.

There are far more brutal levels of real obscenity condoned and accepted daily by the general population as banal.

Such as the thong in size 6x marketed to a demographic known in the industry as prostitots.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Lyndsey Lohan was caught speeding in the Hollywood Hills and

was able to avoid getting ticketed, after signing an autograph for the cops.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is absurd. A word is a word, if its a "curse" word or the word dog, they're all the same. Freedom of speech covers ALL words.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You misunderstand your "rights"

You have the right to speak as you please, and then you have the obligation to be held accountable to what you say. If you speak a word that is deemed inappropriate then you can be held accountable for public indecency.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
The cop really doesn't care most of the time.

And do you really think that this is just a fluke, and the first time that this officer has ever seen a naughty word on a bumper sticker? Or did he notice it because it was a naughty word associated with his president?

This isn't about going 56 in a 55. This is about a woman getting picked because it had the naughty word along with the Bush-word, on the sticker. Otherwise, this officer should by now have quite a number of tickets on his record for pulling people over with naughty bumperstickers, which I am going to say, I doubt he has.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
OK fine Niteboy, assuming your logic is factual, then regardless of whether or not it was Anti Bush or not is irrelivent, it still has a "naughty word" and there fore the cop had every right, regardless of his true reasoning. Ethically wrong? Maybe, but It is the law still.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
OK fine Niteboy, assuming your logic is factual, then regardless of whether or not it was Anti Bush or not is irrelivent, it still has a "naughty word" and there fore the cop had every right, regardless of his true reasoning. Ethically wrong? Maybe, but It is the law still.

I think with a good enough lawyer, the lawsuit against the cop is feasable, and can be deemed justifiably so by a jury. And maybe then the officer, or the police in general, will realize that if they are truly going to get their panties in a twist, and enforce a law that they usually wouldn't, then they should learn to simply enforce the law.

Because the only reason those stickers have gained the popularity that they have is because that word had already found a safe home on the bumpers of America's cars. This isn't a sticker that has only been reproduced once by a home computer.

So you have to wonder, would the demand be so great if officers everywhere enforced this law in the first place? And is it justifiable to the general population to have laws that are not based on "all men are created equal", but only based on "those that I choose to enforce laws upon, and my political enemies?"

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
First of all, this dopey twunt deserved the ticket because Bu# is LAME.
It's just not funny at all.

NowBuck Fush

that's funny

Also, this cop is an absolute whining babybitch for ticketing this woman for her political views. He's a sissy and should be fired. When you lash out because of your insecurities about your political views and you pay the consequences, I do not pity you.

It's like a Stern fan throwing a brick through the windshield of a WOW sticker adorned car. He KNOWS that Opie and Anthony are about to become the bigger name, just like this dopey cop knows that the Dems will probably control the country for the next six years. Real men don't do stupid things because of their strong politcal views because real men have class. This cop needs to grow up and act like a man if the ACLU doesn't take away his testicles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join