It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weldon Questions Lobbying Investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The FBI raided two homes and several locations in conjunction with an investigation on whether Congressman Curt Weldon used his politcal influence to help his daughter's lobbying company gain contracts. Though this had been previously looked into by the House of Ethics in 2004, nothing seems to have come of it. Weldon claims this latest investigation has much to do with the upcoming election.

abclocal.go.com
The FBI raided the homes of Rep. Curt Weldon's daughter and a close friend Monday as it investigates whether the congressman improperly helped the pair win lobbying and consulting contracts.
Earlier Monday, Weldon called the investigation politically motivated and called the timing suspect. The Republican, who is locked in a tight re-election bid and has clashed with the Bush administration, denied wrongdoing and said he gave his daughter no special help.
Federal investigators are looking into whether Weldon used his influence to help the company secure lobbying contracts worth $1 million from foreign clients, two people familiar with the inquiry told The Associated Press.
Weldon, regarded by some as a foreign policy expert, has clashed at times with the Bush administration. In the last year, he has repeatedly said a secret military unit called "Able Danger" used data-mining to link four Sept. 11 hijackers to al-Qaida more than a year before the attacks. A Pentagon report rejected the idea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are several thoughts I have. Though this gentleman is a Rep, and mailings were sent out by Dems, with the accusation that he assisted his daughter, could it be that his clashing with the Bush administration was part of the reason, though it was investigated 2 years ago, it once more has come up.
The Bush administration seems more often utilizing such tactics against it's detractors.
The focus of the investigation is a serious one, and I have to wonder why if the allegations aren't true, why his daughter would go into the consulting and lobbying business when the likelyhood of someone at least pointing out a correlation between her job and her fathers position is quite high.
I do not know if this is typical Bush type retaliation, a Democratic election ploy, or indeed a violation of political ethics. That is for the Justice Departments investigation to determine. I am saddened though, by the thought that should it be true, once more, those people we elect has abused that trust we have given to them.
Not surprised, but saddened.

Related News Links:
www.philly.com
www.philly.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Girl Questioned About Anti-Bush Website
Man charged with Assault for criticizing Cheney
Guilty Rep. Bob Ney to Leave Congress

[edit on 10/16/2006 by Gools]

new topics

join